WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Makeshft shot

Boolit Buddy

Makeshft shot

Ok, I come from a long line of cheapskates, I prefer the term thrifty. Has anyone thought about or tried using old primers for shot? The idea came to me one day while emptying my decapping tube. I know they wouldn't be ideal and would likely scar a barrel but it would seem better than nothing. Thoughts. I have been saving them since and likely will load some as a last ditch go to, and store.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Master

Scar the barrel because of chrome plating on the brass primer?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    They will lose velocity far faster than round shot in any metal, and may cut the inside of the case too much for reloading.

Boolit Master

You probley come out better selling them and buying shot with he money
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master

I have heard of it being done and have a coffee can full of spent primers for use in the zombie apocolipse, just in case.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, there are many things that can be loaded in a shotgun shell, just thought they are cylindrical, and in many cases just pretty much trash. Local scrap dealer won't take them or used brass.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Master

If bad comes to worse and we have to get down to loading whatever we can spent primers would do, but a far better load for two legged varmints is the old "dollar and a dime" load. Load your shell as normal, but instead of shot put 11 dimes in the shot cup. Be SURE to use as open a choke as you have!

Boolit Master
    Probably better than using new primers in the wad cup, my only thought.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Probably better than using new primers in the wad cup, my only thought.
    I don't know, that dould be entertaining at the very least.
    I would think primers would be a very short range type of thing.

Years ago I knew a cop that loaded his with finishing nails.

Boolit Master
    I'm planning to try a wax slug using these (I only have 209) as shot. Together they'll would still pack a punch and fly straighter, though they could be used to take small game at shorter distance as shot. Using a muzzleloader maybe?

Boolit Master
    I wouldnt want to try it in any good shotgun and if I were to try it i would want a good tough wad like a BP multimetal. Melted lead dripped into water or antifreeze would work better I would think. good old lead wheel weights can be found off the side of road at most any highway exit ramp that isn't maintained with a street sweeper. i have gathered more than 500lbs in the past several years by just pulling off the side and looking down at the ground. If your local scrap place won't take brass or spent primers there are others that will. I used to sell mixed brass by the barrel full for a man who owns scrap yards.