Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic machine and cleaner....your thoughts.

Boolit Mold

Ultrasonic machine and cleaner....your thoughts.

I'm interested in buying my first ultrasonic machine and cleaner. What is recommended and why? My main purpose will be to clean pistol/revolver parts. I may use later on for brass . What solutions are recommended. Want to use full size 1911s or 6" revolver possibly a little larger.

What for??? Waste of money. Not needed, that includes cases.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Yes, another Gizmo. Waste of Money. . Even Though I tumble My Brass. . Cleaning Case have No effect On firing. . It is Just a matter of preference, . I for One do not Like Dirty case in My dies. . I don't use Range scrap. . But some do. Then You get all Kinds of Junk In them.
    Sure they Look good on a bench. Loading CO. push this stuff.
    It's up to you If you want it or not
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    I have seen carbon build up in small rifle cases affect powder capacity after several firings , even though the brass was tumbled . I have a buddy that cleans brass in a sonic cleaner occasionally to remove the build up . He uses white vinegar then rinse in water and tumble . I take my brass over once in awhile , looks like brand-new inside .

Boolit Mold
    It will be used for cleaning small parts on revolvers( such as cylinder) and parts on all handguns.

I have the Lyman sonic cleaner and it does a good job of cleaning the bolt carrier parts for my AR's and revolver cylinders. Also good for removing built up fouling inside cases. I use the lyman cleaning solution, The cheaper you try to be with solutions, the worse they work. I usually still tumble brass in corn cob media after sonic cleaning. May seem OCD but I don't like grit in my dies. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I use an ultrasonic with simple green to de gunk old shotgun actions especially M97 Winchesters that are a bear to take down to the last screw. 30 minutes and they are plumb clean! A good soak I the solvent tank and you are done. But I clean a lot of guns, after a training class I can have 15 or so handguns to clean. And when the local collector comes in for his yearly cleanings I will do 60 or more.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Ultras are GREAT......for cleaning clock works! That is what I use them for 100%. Not so much for gun stuff. I have 2 B_I_G professional ultras (high wattage + heater) that will rattle the gunk off most anything. But I do not use them for gun stuff at all. They are VERY expensive ($600-900) and a total waste of your money if you are just going to clean simple gun stuff. And do not waste money on that little toy thing Harbor Freight sells. I does nothing but make noise.

A friend uses an old ammo can and a mix of ATF and ?, he just raves about how clean they come out, not a spec-o-nothin anywhere on the firearm, inside and out. Sam said that he couldn't see any way to do it any better...he gives them time to soak in it. Overnight, I think is what's required.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Mold
    what brand of ultrasonic machine and solutions do you use. Where are the places to get good deals on

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim-Bibs View Post
    what brand of ultrasonic machine and solutions do you use. Where are the places to get good deals on

Here is where I bought my untrasonic cleaners several years ago:

http://www.merritts.com/merritts/pub...ategoryID=1165

This is a clock repair provider (my main hobbies are clocks and antiques, not guns, but there definitely cross-over) and they have a wide range of cleaners. Prices have gone up since my purchase!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Harbor Freight 2.5 Liter ... http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html
    Use the powder they sell
    I use it only to clean my black powder C&B revolvers using Strat-O-Sheen burnishing solution and my wife's jewelry
    PS: Lyman sells the same cleaner at $114 ... http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

As for cleaning brass cases? Waste of Time!
    Regards
    John

Small Hornady for me, tried the HF and no go. I just use it for cases - it DOES work. Used it to clean the AR bolt once and my XD slide for kicks - it didn't fit well. I use washer soap & lemishine with H2O. If it's a part I can't get dry quickly I'd go with the ATF/mineral spirits.
    Rifle PP are clean - but I use an RCBS PP tool first on range pickup, all reloads after that come out clean from the US. Don't US Ruby (or other semiprecious) stones with the US - they will crack or worse.
    Last edited by popper; 08-08-2016 at 12:52 PM.
    Whatever!

I have a small mechanic shop and clean a fair amount of carburetors, nothing like an ultra-sonic for that. SO a couple of years ago my first one lost 2 out of 3 transducers, I replaced it with a bigger unit. The sales rep talked me into a "gunsmith accessory". So the problem with cleaning guns in a normal ultrasonic is that you are using (usually) a water based cleaning solution, so imagine a soap solution getting into the action of a gun, or into the threads on the barrel of a revolver- the problems would me huge. So the gunsmith kit involved a polycarbonate tank that set into the water based solution, so the water solution transfers the vibrations to the polycarbonate tank and in that tank is a cleaning OIL. So, I've popped the side plate off a revolver and set it into the oil and it cleans it very well indeed, gunk in the action, lead in the barrel- just gone!! Then, after draining, blow it off with compressed air. I've done hundreds of carburetors in it, and probably a few dozen pistols, revolvers, and actions... all very nicely done. I've tried brass in it, and wasn't happy with the result- , so still use corn cob and a tumbler.

http://www.sharpertek.com/

Pretty good units... and a bit pricy....

EDIT.... Yeah, you never know what might work. Neighbor has a pool with a salt system on it-the cell was a mass of calcium and gunk, ran it through the ultrasonic- looked like new in no time
    Last edited by beezapilot; 08-13-2016 at 01:36 PM.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    It may not be the most cost-effective way of laying out cash on gunsmithing equipment, but it has its uses. Probably the better the firearm the less you need it. But there are old, usually cheap revolvers which are difficult to get apart, and in which parts are easily damaged - and also modern firearms I would consider unnecessarily complicated. It can be very useful for these.

Boolit Man
    I use the Hornady cleaner for all of my brass after de-priming. It only takes about 20 minutes and it is ready for loading. I still tumble sometimes too if I want my brass to shine (no reason for that but looks). I use the Lyman or Hornady solutions, I tried the homemade ones but they did not work as well as the commercial ones. Be careful when cleaning guns, depending upon the cleaning solution it will remove finish so always test it and watch it close the first time. Really the only gun parts I clean is barrels (sometimes) and my AR BCG's. The best use for it is cleaning suppressors. Not sure if you ever tried cleaning one by hand but I do not ever want to do that again, the US works great on cans.

Boolit Master
    The ones I have remove new or aged grease or oil and the attendant dirt from gun parts or brass shells, if used with Liquid Wrench or some other type solvent. They don't do anything for oxidation of any sort that I can see. A rusty boolit mould looks just as rusty after a session in an ultrasonic cleaner as when it went in. They do get black powder fouling out of nooks and crannies with the proper detergent solution, with less labor than soaking and brushing, but a final brush or wipe is needed anyway.

For cleaning glasses or expandable watch bands, they are fantastic!

Boolit Buddy
    Back when I joined up here I did a write up on what a ultrasonic will do and what it won't, repairing ultrasonics is my day job. The HF units as well and the Hornaday units are Chinese made units. They do work well while they work. Consider them to be a disposable machine. If you want to buy American may I suggest Branson, Healthsonic or L&R. Crest makes a good machine but I believe it is a offshore circuit board, they won't sell me parts but that is a different story. I do warranty repair for Elma which is a German company, if the dollar ever gets parity or better with the euro their prices will look better.
    If your parts will fit in a glass beaker, it transmits the sound waves better than plastic. The main idea is the keep everything off of the bottom of the tank. As to the soap solution staying on the gun you can do a ultrasonic rinse with clean water then do a hot dunk in DI or distilled water so the parts get hot enough to flash dry when you take them out or use a water displacing oil in the ultrasonic, in a beaker. Ultrasonics work best when the main tank is filled with soap and water and any other oils etc. are put in secondary containers and "floated" in the tank. Stay away from liquids with a low flash point/evaporating temp. If you have questions please pm me.

So i have a small harbor fright ine that works

Was looking at using a small orbital had sander bunjie corded to tupperware container. To see how that dose with a ar upper.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    So i have a small harbor fright ine that works

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    You - - - one of the lucky ones. I had 2 from a friend that were total garbage. Went in the trash. He did not want them either. Those things are designed to clean wedding rings and jewelry. Occasionally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast