MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to 500 S&W Magnum

Boolit Master
    I had the chance to fire a ported 500 at the range. It was a factory load,
    but wasn't bad at all. My current " big revolver" is a SRH in .44 mag. I foolishly traded off a SRH in.480 Ruger, it wasn't bad at all. I had an Encore pistol in 30-06 which I kept for a year or two, traded that barrel for a .22-.250, didn't keep it long, and then traded for a .454. That was too much for me. I ended up selling it, the scope, dies and brass to a friend who wanted it.
    Even in my old and decrepit age the ported 500 wasn't even close to being as vicious as the .454
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    ive got a matched pair of 500 s&w 8 3/8 ported barrel and they shot pretty nice compared to my 2 inch barreled raging bull judge in 454 and may even have less recoil than my raging bull 8 3/8 barreled 480 ruger

Boolit Master

Wow, revived a 2 year old thread of mine. I'm now working on a load for a new mold, the Mihec 700gr. 630gr in pentagonal and 570gr in the Ross huge HP

I have load data that shows in the 1,150-1,250 fps range for an 8 3/8" barrel with the 700gr flat point version. This is going to be interesting, and probably painful lol.

Boolit Master
    ...I've seen videos of people shooting the 700 grain rounds...just not for me... I have shot full 440 grain loads from one of the original 8 3/8" ported guns and it was not bad at all... Have shot some 400 grain factory Winchester through the 4" and it was fine...

46..that is too bad about your neighbor not relaoding..it gets very expensive very fast. When I bought some Berry's plated bullets at wholesale I think I could load rounds at about $0.25 each.... Now the bullets are $0.29 each but will still be less that $0.35....

Boolit Master
    RJM52, great neighbor but more like a really good friend. And I have told him as much. He's has his ccw and his wife is going for hers. Tried to fins some 500 factory ammo for him but am in a small town and no one carries it. gun shows I got lucky a couple of times but no joy. He cuts my grass around the house and does drink Budweiser so about 3 times a year he gets a case. Friends like these one tends to treasure. Tried to get him to accept money, or pay for dinner but always refuses. I do reload but the largest handgun caliber is 44 mag. I've been kinda laid up due in part to some sores that developed on my right leg. 3x a week have a home health care nurse come in to change bandages and apply a medicated strip along with a zinc/plaster wrap topped off with what they call a uni boot. Now over 5 months and have doctors appointment next week. Really nice nurse. So in two ways I feel blessed that I have a really good friend and a top notch nurse. Frank.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear of your illness...hope all gets better FAST...and it is great to have great neighbors...

Boolit Master
    Since this thread is alive, and the search function seems to be dysfunctional when looking for carriage specific threads, I'm going to post here.

I got a steal of a deal on a TC Encore 500 S&W and must have bought the most anemic factory loading, FC Fusion 325gr, shoots good and not too bad on the kicking end. I ordered supplies, dies etc, and went to the loading bench with some 370gr gc boolits. CCI LR primers and 5 each of 44.5, 45.5, and 46.5gr of H110. On the first shot I thought "now I'm feeling the kick! " the 45.5 seemed to shoot best, (or maby by the time I had put the first 10 through it my resolve was failing) and they where spinning my 1/2 thick 15 inch gong around like a tin can from 100 yards out, where the factory Federal loads just rocked it. I'm not sure if I want to keep pushing the round hard or back it down, as I'm sure it will take any white tail around here at half that speed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12