Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long range (500-1000yd) rifles and equipment

Banned
    Heh any of you LR guys need some 168 match .308s. Widners has Noslers on for 48$ per 250 box. I just bought enough to try & shoot out a couple barrels. Good stuff for military match rifles as well as .308 bolts for those that don't use 175s.

For others they also had .44, 240SP, for 34$ per 250.

Vendor Sponsor

Spend All you can and then several hundred dollars more on glass..
    Cant hit what you can't see ..

Very Good Glass and a very steady hold will do more for you than any caliber can
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    just received my clubs newsletter and renewal forms. While they have been discussing a longer range setup for the last few years (currently goes out to 300yds) talk has been now out to 1K yards. While I cannot see much less shoot at that distance would be a good money maker as 1k ranges are as scarce as rocking horse poop. I'm thinking they would set it up for various distances much like a high power match range. In any event would be interesting to watch. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

1,000 Service rifle, Match Rifle and BPCR are shot with iron sights.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    1,000 Service rifle, Match Rifle and BPCR are shot with iron sights.

from the OP's stated goals

"where I can hit filled gallon milk jugs/steel/reactive targets for fun"

doubt seriously you can see a gallon milk jug at 1000 yds with open sights
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned
    My old shootin buddy, Craig Parker, (Distinguished, Presidents 100 etc), before we got so old, would shoot service rifle at 1k, & well. Of course not at a milk jug, the bull at 1k is pretty big, just so you can see it, but still dam small groups for irons. I only shot to 600. My service rifle match shot 7" at 500 (M14), AR shot 5" at 600, they probably could do better, as usual rifles are limited by operator & my various spine operations make it hard to get prone.

But per the milk jug thing, I believe he was talking scope & at 1k I can see the 4" X so a milk jug should not be a problem-with the right scope.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm gonna try to see how my AR does with heavy bullets and purchase a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T scope and see how things go.

I also am still considering a Savage Model 10T in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Banned
    Well, this is what I am planning. I am negotiating for a Eddystone P14 (303 British) I plan to paper patch and see if I can shoot it at 600 to 1000 yards.

Boolit Master

P14 for Long Range

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Well, this is what I am planning. I am negotiating for a Eddystone P14 (303 British) I plan to paper patch and see if I can shoot it at 600 to 1000 yards.
    You've made a good choice for a long range rifle as the P14 has great long range sights. The only draw back is the lack of deflection or windage in the sight. For it's time, the P14/US 1917 had the best military iron sights on the planet.

303 brass life, which is usually abysmally short, it as good as any other case when used in the P14. Great rifles and big fun to shoot at long range. Long sight radius, aperture rear sight, blade front sight: what's not to like?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned
    Thank you very much. Got my first deer with a M1917 Eddystone. But I have heard lots of good things about the slightly larger bore and smaller recoil of the P14. I was going to hold out for a really good price on this gun but now I think I can go a bit higher. They are getting hard to find.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    great choice. I can hold 1-1/2" at 100 yards without much difficulty with my P14. Been a few years since I've shot it. Great visibility with those irons

Boolit Buddy
    Doc, figure out the bullet you want to shoot first...I'm building a pair of new 1K rifles..My 3rd 243W is giving it up..1100 shots out of those & they are done...The 1000yd game is tough on barrels..So I'm going to try the 6MMBR X version for my 6 mm using the same 105 Hornady Amax bullet...The BRX gun is going to be an 1-8 twist {the old 243 could get by with a 1-9 twist] The other barrel will be my primary Steel target match gun..It is going to be a 28"long bull barrel, one in eight twist, 260 Rem AI to shoot 140 grain VLD bullets...Getting those slugs over 2900FPS is rough on barrel life..Use the slowest burning powder that gives good accuracy..Good Luck, mike in Ct

Boolit Buddy
    Unclemike: How do those 105 Amax bullets fly for you? I've never got them to perform as well as the 107 SMK and 105 Berger Hybrid at the 1,000 yard line.

Boolit Buddy
    They do better if you take the time to weight sort them...I get my hits on steel long range 25%..The guys shooting Bergers get closer to 50%..with no sorting...I don't have the experience or the time put into the long range steel 1000yd game to comment fairly about those bullets...Tell you this, I miss pretty close..The price is right on those Amax while learning...Mike in Ct

Boolit Master

Long Range Shooting

We've talked a lot about rifles and bullets, but another important topic when you start shooting at long range is a good spotter with a very good spotting scope. The spotter needs to know how to read the wind and even more importantly the mirage as that is the true measure of what the wind is doing. The spotting scope needs to be good enough to see the "air" between you and the target as that is how you read the mirage. The spotter and you need to be talking the same language too in order not to confuse each other. For practice or sniper matches this is really the way to learn long range shooting. A spotter is not allowed at most matches like the NRA long range or Palma shoots though.

If you want to practice reading the wind at short ranges at a reasonable cost, then set up a good .22RF match rifle with a capable scope and shoot it at 100 and 200 yards. You'll see immediately that you really need to pay attention to the wind indicators such as flags, leaves, grass, blown dust and mirage. Even at 50 yards, wind will deflect a .22 RF significantly. I use a Winchester Model 52 with a Unertl scope on it for such practice and for fun. My shooting club shoots .22 RFs at 100 yards every Monday evening from the prone position, usually with aperture sights although I guess a guy could use a bipod and scope if he wanted to.

When shooting at long range without a spotter, one generally places his spotting scope on his week side to easily see through it and checks the wind value between shots as well as his last bullet's impact if at a formal match with target pullers. He can then adjust his sight's deflection or just hold off for it. The mil dot scope reticle is perfect for holding off for wind or even elevation if one likes to do so. Aperture sights when using a blade or post front sight can be held off too, although it's generally best to trust your sight adjustments and their repeatability in this case.

In the photo below, the vertical poles to the left of the shooter's heads are the scope stands that hold their spotting scopes.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 08-17-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

We use a Leupold Mark IV spotting scope to shoot out to one mile. 300gr bullets with a BC of .800 out of a 338 Lapua @2700fps.
    1000 yards is kinda a chip shot with this thing. The rifle glass is a Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50 Mil/Mil

The spotting scope has a Mil reticle as well. Makes calling misses much more consistant and accurate.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    The most interesting thing in all of the advice here; warnings about short barrel life.

I read here that barrels are (too) expensive, and the winning cartridges burn them out too fast.

Then, I ask them if bullets, and powder, and primers, and the gasoline/diesel to go to the range or just out shooting (here in SW Idaho I have public ground where I can shoot two miles) is not a factor in the overall cost. If you bought a Savage long range model, say in 6.5-284, you will spend about as much for brass, powder, bullets, and dies as the rifle cost you by time you shoot the barrel out.
    With a tapered base (like a Murphy 20 to 40 moa) that rifle, with the Berger 140gr Hybrid 6.5mm bullets about 3000fps will run out of scope about 1200 or more yards.

Buy or build what you want, and enjoy it.

Boolit Grand Master

Barrel life is always a factor for me. I am a toolmaker by trade and I do all my own work so it cost me a lot less than for most but my 6mm Dasher gives me double to triple the competitive barrel live/accuracy over the 243 Win. The Dasher equals the velocity with better accuracy so yes barrel life is a consideration.

I shoot on average 3K to 4K per summer on prairie dogs with a 223. Most was 6,700 rounds on summers. My current 223 has around 9K on it and is still holding 3/4 MOA at 200 yards. My 22/250 AI's get less than a third of that.

Boolit Buddy
    M-Tecs- Great info on that 223 at 9,000 rds. May I inquire what the bullet weight is? Also, what is the barrel material? Stainless, CM, and has it been treated IE. Chrome plated bore, Nitride, etc?

Boolit Master
    I am with M-Tecs using the smaller 6mm cartridges like the 6mm Dasher, 6mm BRX, and the 6mm Br. being able to shoot to 1000 yards.

Everybody is looking for a magic cartridge to give them an advantage in wind drift, and they are some better then the cartridges that I already mentioned, but they come with a minus, shortened barrel life.

My first choice would be the standard 6mm Br. with a no turn neck, shooting 105 to 108 grain bullets. Now having a cartridge with a long barrel life I would be able to use the money that I saved on barrels and larger quantities of powder, to shoot more and really learn to read the wind. Any body can shoot a good score when there is no wind, but the people that know how to read the wind can shoot a good score in all conditions.

Last week in my small-bore prone league I was one of the few to shoot a 400. I had to stop shooting at least 8-10 times waiting out the change in wind conditions, and then shoot fast before the conditions changed again.

Shoot as much as you can, and learn to read the wind conditions, and make/take notes as to what you did. This is part of your learning to read the wind........part science.........part art.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast