Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: S&W Model 66 Front sight insert replacement

Boolit Master

S&W Model 66 Front sight insert replacement

So I go up to gunsmithing section after typing this and find a thread on essentially the same subject.
    I will just use info from what is posted there

Title says most of it.

The orange insert in my model 66 is suddenly MIA.

Is orange the best color is something better . . .

Black
    Green
    Orange
    Not sure that the orange insert ever did anything for me to acquire the sights or hold a sight picture.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 08-04-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Sight Insert

I installed an epoxy inlay into my Model 65's front sight. I also did the same for officers on my department that lost their inserts as you did.

I no longer have the kit to reference its manufacturer, but I bet you can find something similar at the Internet sites Like Graf and Sons or Midway.

If I was doing this today, I'd use a black epoxy as I really prefer a black sight picture.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    Brownell's sells a kit, part no. 081-000-370WB , but it is expensive, like 60 bucks.

For one application, get a 1 hour epoxy and some Testor's enamel model paint in the color that you want.

Thoroughly clean out the dove tail and scribe a couple of lines in there to help the epoxy hold. Rough the metal up.

Make a dam of waxed aluminum foil on either side and clamp them in place with one of those paper clips, the big filing type.

Mix the epoxy and add a couple or three drips of the enamel paint (NOT ACRYLIC) then spoon in the mixture using a flat head tooth pick. Watch for bubbles and pop them with the tooth pick. Let dry and then use a razor blade to trim off any excess, and your done.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I knocked mine out on purpose, (hate orange inserts). Find something made of black plastic, carve out an oversized dovetailed piece, add a little glue to the cleaned out dovetail and press in. Use a razor blade to trim to exact width when dry. I buff with a piece of Scotchbrite or steel wool to dull the plastic finish. I did my 629 in the 90's and it's still in there.

Boolit Master
    TC -

Howdy !

If you like the more brilliant colors, you can fashion your own insert out of a piece of toothbrush.
    Take your pick on color, and whether opaque, or more clear; et al.

With regards,
    357Mag

Moderator Emeritus

Take a revolver that shoots well and some dollar store nail polish. Paint the front sight and find the color that works for you. I have some that are best in white others like red. Make your insert out of that colored materiel or go blue and paint it with the nail polish.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Take a revolver that shoots well and some dollar store nail polish. Paint the front sight and find the color that works for you. I have some that are best in white others like red. Make your insert out of that colored materiel or go blue and paint it with the nail polish.
    +1 on this. People's color vision varies a lot, so it's best to try out a few. I like bright yellow myself.

Boolit Master

I may just put a piece of wood in the hole and try different Testors Paint colors first and then cast epoxy in place
    Amendments

Banned
    I've never been a fan of those orange inserts but most of my revolvers have fixed sights anyway. For the ones that have adjustable sights and the accompanying tall front sight, I prefer flat black.

Wasn't there a kit that you poured some sort of colored epoxy in the dovetail after taping the sides and dressed it when dry?

Just found this, amazing what you will find on Brownells site.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod22791.aspx

On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Moderator Emeritus

Elmer Keith had gold wires in his front sight to show holdover. Now is a great time to see if you want a contrasting insert if you shoot long range at all.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I was just wondering about something like brilliant green.

The green on the new workers safety vests sure does show up.

Unlike the 28 Potterfield worked on the 66 sight already has two holes drilled in it to hold the insert.

I have watched several of his videos and he does something I was always threatened with death if I did it . . Dragging a file back under pressure . . .

Same with a hacksaw.

Don't really know if it is really an issue but those admonishments from the 60s still resonate in my brain.

May be a good time to test several things.

If I can melt it without burning it, two are going to be melted plastic cast in place, orange and green.
    Amendments

In Remembrance

I found a small piece of red plastic from a larger part buffer guide section at work. I had a Model 27 S&W .357 mag. that had no insert either. It took me several nights of trial and error fitting before I had a complete sight insert done. Shot that pistol for many years like that till I traded it away. As to color favorite I tend to like bright orange anymore.Robert

Boolit Master
    Remember those orange 10rd plastic cartridge carriers that Federal shipped their ammo in, in the 20rd boxes.
    I've cut those to fit the dovetails and epoxied them into place. Trimmed after curing. Soft plastic, but made trimming easier.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    +1 on this. People's color vision varies a lot, so it's best to try out a few. I like bright yellow myself.
    THIS! I painted the patridge frt sight on my K-22 and K-38 years ago with some Testors Pro Modeler yellow paint. STILL there. Yellow seems to catch the eye....same for a bright, but a lighter BLUE.

FN in MT

Just curious, did any of the 66's come through with a replaceable pinned front sight? My 629 has one, and a variety of replacement blades are available.