MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strong Old Cast Iron Presses

Banned

Strong Old Cast Iron Presses

Hi Folks,
    I am looking to get a press that is strong enough to swage cast bullets. Probably wouldn't have to be as strong as for swaging jackets on. I am on a very tight budget so I am looking at old cast iron presses. Have been looking at a Pacific Super Delux and a Herters Super model 3. Those are of a vintage design that was popular with many manufactures. I think that they take different dies etc. Can someone school me on this stuff so I can make the best decision? Thanks

Boolit Master
    I'll start off. I don't swage but have some knowledge about presses. But first let me say that if you'll be using your cast bullets in a swaging process, then you'll strike out unless they are dead soft. It's safe to say that using a hard bullet would break your die and maybe your press too. Most if not all of the older C presses would lack enough strength for swaging, although there may be exceptions. My suggestion is find a used RCBS Rock Chucker and go from there. Whatever you use will need to be anchored to a stout bench, and you may need a long cheater bar too. Now you see why it's easy to break dies and presses when swaging if one doesn't think through the process.

Banned
    I will keep that in mind. I reload 22lr and they have to be very soft. I will be using it for 9MM also though. I am looking for something in the under $50 range. How much chance do you think I have of getting a rock chucker for that price?

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    I'll start off. I don't swage but have some knowledge about presses. But first let me say that if you'll be using your cast bullets in a swaging process, then you'll strike out unless they are dead soft. It's safe to say that using a hard bullet would break your die and maybe your press too. Most if not all of the older C presses would lack enough strength for swaging, although there may be exceptions. My suggestion is find a used RCBS Rock Chucker and go from there. Whatever you use will need to be anchored to a stout bench, and you may need a long cheater bar too. Now you see why it's easy to break dies and presses when swaging if one doesn't think through the process.

Boolit Master

Do you already have dies and other needed equipment? Swaging and limited budget don't really go together from what I've seen.

Boolit Grand Master

The bigger issue with a press for swaging is the leverage to do the job. The original rockchucker was ment for this work also. A heavy frame is good but with out the leverage your going to wear your arm out pretty quick.

Boolit Master
    Every Loader today Knows very well the advantages Of Older Cast iron or steel Machine. Just because your On a " Tight Budget " , That has no bearing On the sale.. If your looking for One that can swage as well as load. ( Herter Super O, Lachmiller 400, Lachmiller Power house. , Dunbars.). No one I know Is Giving Them Up Cheap.
    . All of the above are On ebay, Be prepared to Bid and Bid to win. The other method is to stumble on one if Your Lucky.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master

I have been using and Herter's #3 since the mid 1960...its still going strong and it has never failed me.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned
    Thank You, that is the kind of information I am looking for. I Will be looking for a lucky stumble on find.
    But I have to know it when I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Every Loader today Knows very well the advantages Of Older Cast iron or steel Machine. Just because your On a " Tight Budget " , That has no bearing On the sale.. If your looking for One that can swage as well as load. ( Herter Super O, Lachmiller 400, Lachmiller Power house. , Dunbars.). No one I know Is Giving Them Up Cheap.
    . All of the above are On ebay, Be prepared to Bid and Bid to win. The other method is to stumble on one if Your Lucky.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I have been using and Herter's #3 since the mid 1960...its still going strong and it has never failed me.
    Means absolutely nothing unless you tell us what you use it for and how much.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Means absolutely nothing unless you tell us what you use it for and how much.
    OK, I want it for two purposes. One) I reload 22lr with home made tools. No press. I just re-engineered all my tools for powder coating and to make the process faster and more consistent. I pretty much got the consistency down but not the speed. (I'm talking really really slow here). Now I want to re do the tools again to work in a press. I swage the bullets to impart a hollow base and make what I think is the ideal shape for powder coating. That and resizing the cases are the main reason I need a press for 22lr's. I also want to use the same principle for 9mm. I have a bullet mold that drops 117 grain round nose. Not much bearing surface with those grooves in there. I am going to swage these into "big pellets" ...you can read about that here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...simple-swaging
    Check posts #4, 5, and 7. This is how I want to make the bullets. So I need a swaging press. Since I have an extremely tight budget, I am going to shop for a "deal". The most logical way to find a deal is to find an obscure (usually older) item that people pass over. That is why I want to know what kind of old press will work. So I will know what to watch out for.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Herters #3, it makes a dandy gas check maker. It is heavy, but heavier is not always stronger. Like the old Smith and Wesson advertisement," Thicker is better when it comes to burgers and shakes."

The Rockchucker is lighter and stronger, and has way more leverage. But it is just cast iron, not a real swage press. If you want to break it, just use a cheater bar.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many years ago a shooter I respected greatly, Jerry ("Jake") Simmons was talking with me about his need for a strong press to do some radical sizing and swaging. He sent me on a mission to find him a Herter's Super U press... the strongest one THEY ever made. This was because he had already broken a Rock Chucker. The basic concept of the "U" style press is to combine a "C" type and an "O" type in one casting, leaving the working part of the press wrapped around the die on about 3 sides.

Jake is long gone now, but I still respect the information and knowledge he shared with me, and not only did I get one of those presses for him, I got one for myself as well, "just in case." Even if I don't need the super strength, the super weight will prevent my bench from moving around!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

ulav8r wants to know what I use my #3 press for......how about reloading brass ammunition everything from 22 hornet to belted magnums and also resizing brass to other calibers...and sometimes swaging 35 caliber bullets
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I started out bullet swaging with a Pacific Super. This was the baby-blue "C" press with the hood or bolsters around the bottom of the "C" part. No problem with the strength of the press when doing the operations attendant on making .22 jacketed bullets from .22 rim fire cases and cast cores.

As mentioned, the leverage was not ideal, so though doable, it was kind of fatiguing to use. Also, the over enter feature on the RCBS compound leverage presses provide a convenient "stop" for the swaging process, while with the Pacific, it was a matter of "feel."

However, the press will do the work, and in time you will develop the necessary skill with it. (And also have one arm like Dwayne Johnson's and the other normal sized. ). You should be able to do the minor reshaping of your 9mms on it as well, but you may need to replace the link pins somewhere down the road. I gave away my Super to a beginning reloader when I got my Rock Chucker, and it was still going strong after several years of bullet swaging and at least twice that long of reloading. And I'd gotten it used in the first place. It's an under appreciated gem, and hasn't attracted the attention of "serious collectors" yet, so you should find one for $50 or less, with due diligence.

Boolit Master
    Could you use an arbor or hydraulic press??

Banned
    Thank you very much sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I started out bullet swaging with a Pacific Super. This was the baby-blue "C" press with the hood or bolsters around the bottom of the "C" part. No problem with the strength of the press when doing the operations attendant on making .22 jacketed bullets from .22 rim fire cases and cast cores.

As mentioned, the leverage was not ideal, so though doable, it was kind of fatiguing to use. Also, the over enter feature on the RCBS compound leverage presses provide a convenient "stop" for the swaging process, while with the Pacific, it was a matter of "feel."

However, the press will do the work, and in time you will develop the necessary skill with it. (And also have one arm like Dwayne Johnson's and the other normal sized. ). You should be able to do the minor reshaping of your 9mms on it as well, but you may need to replace the link pins somewhere down the road. I gave away my Super to a beginning reloader when I got my Rock Chucker, and it was still going strong after several years of bullet swaging and at least twice that long of reloading. And I'd gotten it used in the first place. It's an under appreciated gem, and hasn't attracted the attention of "serious collectors" yet, so you should find one for $50 or less, with due diligence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverboolit View Post
    Could you use an arbor or hydraulic press??
    Yes as a matter of fact I have spent some time dreaming up how to make a hydraulic press from a bottle jack. I need to find some parts to do that. I need the O of great strength. I figure there are suspension parts on certain cars that may be of use for that. If I were able to make such a thing it would be slower than a standard press though. And an arbor press...thought about it. A little too much work screwing the thing up and down. At this point I would rather go with something that has been manufactured for reloading. That way I can re-engineer my tools only one more time...for the threads and to match an existing die.
    Thanks for the ideas.

Boolit Master

My first press was a RC, but I have never used it for swaging. As I understand, RCBS was founded on bullet swaging, making jackets from 22 rimfire cases. I am sure the Rock Chucker would last a lifetime doing that, but might be a little light for forming 40 caliber jackets from LC 308 brass for 325 grain bullets.

My use differs from yours, so what you use your press for may have no bearing on how well my press will last.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I am looking to get a press that is strong enough to swage cast bullets.
    Buy an old RCBS Ammomaster press. I bought one a long time ago for reloading 50 BMG and it came with all the parts and the power to do anything in reloading.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Buy an old RCBS Ammomaster press. I bought one a long time ago for reloading 50 BMG and it came with all the parts and the power to do anything in reloading.
    Thanks I will keep an eye out for that model.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast