WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: New neighbor

Banned

New neighbor

I hear shooting up behind me all the time and did not know the property was sold. The poacher is GONE. The new guy stopped in the other day, great guy and was enamored with my guns and will come to shoot when he hears us.
    He is an air marshal and works out of Dulles. He is also a deer hunter so how good does it get? He could not believe I worked at Dulles and had 42 years with United.
    I figured I better mow the range with my old mower. It would not start and a tire was flat.Filled the tire and charged the battery. I started and had to stop right quick. A huge boxelder had fallen across my path. Had to get the saw and spend hours cutting but will get firewood.
    I got the range in shape but need to cast and load.
    I bought a tube for the tire but not the right size, they did not have any. Mine is 15X8 and all they had was 15X6 so it is just a balloon and should work. Sick of filling it all the time. Am I wrong?

Banned

Nice to have good neighbors. Bad neighbors make life miserable. Good for you.

''Good neighbors' are just like 'good friends'...when you die, you will be able to 'count them on one hand'.

But in all seriousness...it's something to get excited about...heck, it got the range open and the presses dusted off! ....

((Humm...Dulles, we are gona have to chat bout dat sometime!))
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Ahh, good neighbors vs. bad ones.

It's good to hear you've got a good one now!

I live in an area with a lot of tourists, developments etc. And they keep wanting to expand & push their way of life upon others. I also own a gun range, and it's in deeds that there is a gun range here. (A little extra protection.) But just yesterday, I got a call from a friend about some property that adjoins me. I'd like to buy it,,, but the funds aren't available right now. The property is for sale, and the current owner isn't the best, nor the worst. We can't seen to reach any form of agreement on me buying just a little of it.
    Well my friend called and then came to visit & look things over. If he buys it,,, I automatically get a chance to have the initial survey done to where I get the strip I want as a buffer. Of course, I have to buy it. And then his plans are for a camper park place. We discussed a lot of things,,,, and one thing he'll do is put it in their rental agreements is that there is a gun range close by & he doesn't give refunds if someone objects.
    He'll be a good neighbor. I hope he can buy it vs. the potential of an **** who'd develop it try & give me grief.

Banned

Yeah Dulles! I don't want to go near the place now. When I transferred it was old and laid back. As they built it up I could drive my truck to the gates and load up stuff they tossed, just needed a paper the supervisor signed for all my file cabinets, tables and even a door.
    After 9-11 it went to hell very fast and they hired the worst for low wages and cut many old timers to part time. Security is a joke. I had to go through it and they took my fork and nail clippers from my lunch bucket. At the kitchen or freight, they drove to the buildings and parked, went on planes without going through security. Many illegals never vetted.
    I got out in time. Heard of some ramp workers that could not speak English and could not take a cart of bags to the gate so they cut them in the boonies to get rid of them. They found them hours after planes left.
    I used to love to fly and did it free, first class. Stews made me drinks and gave me a hand full of miniatures to take with me, good food too. It is long gone and I would not fly again.
    Mechanics always come to shoot so I still know what goes on, it is not pretty and is worse since Continental merged.
    When I worked there if a passengers bag was delayed we held the flight until it was boarded but it went bad and I seen the plane leave when a whole cart of bags was left behind to be put on the next flight. I was always in trouble with management because the passenger was our priority first. They wanted on time over anything. We handled gun cases and trophy's with kid gloves but if you travel with a gun today it might be tossed the length of the pit. Your bag might be rifled.
    Little off topic of course but many of you fly to hunt or shoot. You lost me and the best of the best for profit. Every face in a window used to be precious.

44man you are still 'a piece of the puzzle' of 'the old and precious Republic'...stay alive and fit...we are going to need you shortly, when this Country melts down.

Moderator Emeritus

Might try slime for your tire next time. I have had decent luck with it for generator tires, etc.. Just don't use it on anything with a sensor in it. Sounds like you took pride in your job which is how it should be which seems to be lacking nowadays.

Boolit Master

i regularly have to use an undersize tube in a tire.
    wish i had scientific data on how well/poorly it works.

works well enough for me though.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master

44man I hear you, been at DIA for only a few months but security is a joke there too. contractor vehicles pull up to an entrance gate and the guard opens all the doors and looks in but never opens the tool box, have seen bags fall off the carts and the other carts just run it over, I got in trouble because I responded to a concorse water line break before I reported in to my supervisor, he said "I need eyes on you first" the funny thing is for half the week I am the only one on my shift so there is no way for him to "lay eyes on me"

Moderator Emeritus

Good parents, children, spouses and neighbors are the greatest asset anyone can have! I've had both types. Thank God the bad ones are long gone now! On the tire, just go with what works. Good to have a new shootin' buddy, and especially one who may need that skill these days, and COULD save a whole plane load of people! Those air marshals need to be as good and consistent and reliable as they can get! Great to have someone to share your range with that is pleasant, and that counts for something as well!

I wonder if an Air Marshal would use a frangible round on a plane and maybe too, lower velocity?

Theres a ? for the inquisitive minded!

Banned

Don't know so I will ask when I see him. It is a good question.

I think they carry SIG 229's in .357 sig. Unsure of what they carry for ammo though? Would be interesting to know.

On a side note....A dozen years back the adjoining property to ours was sold and for months all I heard was it was sold to "Some California millionaire". Sure enough it had been. But he had a trap/skeet range put in and last year his property manager and I built a nice LR rifle range on his dime. Steel from 100 to 880 yds, with a nice 3 sided shooting shack with a concrete slab, solid permanent bench, storage for rest and bags, etc.

Sometimes them Cali millionaires aint all bad.