RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is 22lr ammunition made? Tour of cci and speer

Well let's hope they have enough capital, forethought and risk aversion to invest in an extra large coffee maker at least. Here's to hoping.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Grand Master

The guy with a rubber squeegee and a table full of high explosive was the surprise for me. I would have thought adding the priming compound to be a bit more... high tech.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    The guy with a rubber squeegee and a table full of high explosive was the surprise for me. I would have thought adding the priming compound to be a bit more... high tech.
    .............I know that that is the way Winchester still does it for centerfire primers and I'd bet the others do also. Per Winchester (or I suppose it's Olin) they use a time tested employee (old timer?), for the process. In addition to squeegey-ing out the primer dough, which is inert while still pliant, the good ole Mk1 Mod1 eyeball detector is used to ensure each and every hole in the receiver plate is filled, before the plate is moved over the awaiting cups.

............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............I know that that is the way Winchester still does it for centerfire primers and I'd bet the others do also. Per Winchester (or I suppose it's Olin) they use a time tested employee (old timer?), for the process. In addition to squeegey-ing out the primer dough, which is inert while still pliant, the good ole Mk1 Mod1 eyeball detector is used to ensure each and every hole in the receiver plate is filled, before the plate is moved over the awaiting cups.

............Buckshot
    I understand it is much more difficult to initiate while wet, but that's still a big pile of boom and a not very sophisticated process.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    That may have been it! That is/was a regular TV show, right?

Do you work for CCI? Do they do tours for us unwashed peons?
    I am a machine setup for CCI in the rimfire priming department.

I have not seen any regular joes tour the plant... Troy Landry from swamp people toured a few years ago and 22 plinkster (youtube sensation?) toured when this video was filmed. both of these "celebrity's" have sponserships from CCI for promoting our products.

*disclaimer* any information giving is that of my own and is not representation of vista outdoor inc.

Banned

Very interesting. Far more complicated than I imagined.

Boolit Master
    Mike_Hiebert - GONRA wonders if the "Latest & Greatest" production lines
    SPIN the priming mix into the hollow rim, OR
    they hold THE NONROTATING CARTRIDGE CASE,
    insert a rotating Tungsten Carbide shaft that spins the mix into the hollow rim?
    Last edited by GONRA; 08-12-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I would think sticking tungsten carbide in a thin brass shell would rip up a lot of cases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Very interesting. Far more complicated than I imagined.
    My thoughts exactly. Very enlightening.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    Mike_Hiebert - GONRA wonders if the "Latest & Greatest" production lines
    SPIN the priming mix into the hollow rim, OR
    they hold THE NONROTATING CARTRIDGE CASE,
    insert a rotating Tungsten Carbide shaft that spins the mix into the hollow rim?
    Quote Originally Posted by footpetaljones View Post
    I would think sticking tungsten carbide in a thin brass shell would rip up a lot of cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Caster View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Very enlightening.
    Case is held stationary and a spinner throws the priming to the rim of the case, our "latest/greatest" uses carbide tooling that lasts up to a month the rest use heat treated steel tooling that we have to change twice a shift.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I was told a number of years ago by a guy that toured one of the MFG plants that the difference between run of the mill primers and "match" primers is that they are done usually on a Saturday by the person who has exhibited the most consistent technique with the squeegee. The reward for doing well was Saturday overtime pay.

Moderator Emeritus

John Boy that was fascinating.....only wonder how many rounds they average making a day.....thanks for sharing....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    I am a machine setup for CCI in the rimfire priming department.

I have not seen any regular joes tour the plant... Troy Landry from swamp people toured a few years ago and 22 plinkster (youtube sensation?) toured when this video was filmed. both of these "celebrity's" have sponserships from CCI for promoting our products.

*disclaimer* any information giving is that of my own and is not representation of vista outdoor inc.
    Back in the 90's I worked for a data collection company, a co-worker went to an ammunition plant-I think it was Remington-when he entered the plant he had to fill out an ID card with his personal info. Like emergency contact and phone #. This was placed in a concrete re-enforced "vault" outside the plant. It was explained to him all employees put ID's in the vault on entering the plant and retrieved them on the way out. If there was a big KABOOM they knew where to send the flowers....

Classic video.
    USMC VETERAN
    NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Back in the 90's I worked for a data collection company, a co-worker went to an ammunition plant-I think it was Remington-when he entered the plant he had to fill out an ID card with his personal info. Like emergency contact and phone #. This was placed in a concrete re-enforced "vault" outside the plant. It was explained to him all employees put ID's in the vault on entering the plant and retrieved them on the way out. If there was a big KABOOM they knew where to send the flowers....
    sounds about right. when i worked at federal, we electronically logged in and out when entering and leaving the plant. it was done so they could figure out who was or was not missing in the event of a mishap.

Quote Originally Posted by jwolcott21 View Post
    This link no longer works - anyone know if there is any update?
    Go to youtube and do a search for "making 22lr ammunition"
    There are a couple of videos on the topic.

Boolit Master
    Page not found.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Yup. The video is still there but the link is different. Cool video.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12