RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: 10/22 hammer ?

Boolit Master

10/22 hammer ?

I have been reading and while a complete kid trigger , sear , disconector , and hammer kit would be great it isn't in the budget

the 35 dollar Volquartsen target hammer kit is looking like what I want , most of the improvement in trigger pull at an amount that keeps in my budget and keeps my metal trigger group.

is my thinking on the right track that this will make my trigger pull better without breaking the bank, or should I just keep saving for the Kid
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Boolit Master
    It may not be popular here but I did a JB Weld trigger job, honed the trigger and sear, It takes the creep out, smooths the pull & you can even lessen the pull. Many YouTube Videos on it. It's the best 1hr & $5, you can spend. You can also replace the bolt buffer & polish the bolt while you have it apart. There is also a mod. where you change the design of the bolt catch to release when you pull it back without having to push the little release. I also opted to drill a hole behind my action so the rifle can be cleaned from action to muzzle.

Boolit Master
    I tested with some weights the current trigger doesn't have much for creep but it breaks at more than 5 pounds less than 7.5 pounds 5 with a good shake isn't enough so probably high 6 low 7 pounds I don't have a gauge just weights

I have an apple seed event coming up in about a month that I was getting ready for and thought a better trigger would be nice

Boolit Master
    I think you will be happy with those parts, most who have them are. I do not have any personal experience with them as I just grind the factory hammer and hone then polish the sear to get the 2.75 to 3.2 trigger I want. When reading the discussions on Rimfirecentral it seems that the Volquartsen parts have the correct geometry to get the job done. A search on that forum will get you lots of info around this issue. The trigger and chamber are the biggest impact on the 10-22s along with the bedding. I set the headspace on my bolts as well, it makes the cheap ammo more consistent in my experience. If you want to shoot subsonics, like I do, you will be ahead to order some of Kidd's springs. Other than the springs and GM barrels my 10-22s are all Ruger, the Charger is all Ruger. The Ruger factory barrels can be made to shoot with the GMs by setting them back .09 or so to tighten the chamber. I have a shortened factory barrel like that on my Charger and it works quite well. Unlike most I do not bother with the bolt release or mag release. In fact I put a flush mag release on my Charger after dumping the mag in the dirt twice one afternoon! The extendeds are fine on a competition gun or bench toy but just don't work for me on a hunting rifle. Have fun with it, the trigger is a good starting point and ending point for many. Don't need to spend big bucks to get a nice shooting 10-22.

A picture of 2 of mine:
    Last edited by rking22; 08-03-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

a volquartsen or power custom hammer are an excellent value and give a fairly decent trigger pull.

Boolit Master
    the only things I have done to my early 2000s 10/22 deluxe are to change out the factory sling mounts , for studs and uncle mikes 1 1/4 swivels , a GI M1 cotton web sling , picatini scope rail to allow more range to set he eye relief than the factory scope mount ,add an optic , my eyes are not what they once were and I put in a Voqaurtsen bolt release so that a pull back and let go chambers a round

I still have my flat mag release with no plans at the moment to change it

this was my bunny in the garden , squirrel in the tree have fun at the range gun , that is going LTR liberty training rifle

Boolit Master
    The Volquartsen hammer is OK but it does induce a ton of creep. For about the same money Brimstone will give you a trigger job that is smooth, light, and without creep. The Kidd trigger job kit is the best but as you mention more money. My next one is going to be a Kidd two stage 3 & 3.

Boolit Master

i have a kidd 2 stage, and it is awesome, but $$$$$$!

Boolit Buddy

You can buy a drop in trigger from Grab-A-Gun for the 10/22 for cheap. It sure helps.

Boolit Master

I have that target hammer setup and like it Very much. Made all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    I have been reading and while a complete kid trigger , sear , disconector , and hammer kit would be great it isn't in the budget

the 35 dollar Volquartsen target hammer kit is looking like what I want , most of the improvement in trigger pull at an amount that keeps in my budget and keeps my metal trigger group.

is my thinking on the right track that this will make my trigger pull better without breaking the bank, or should I just keep saving for the Kid

Boolit Master
    Rking22 you have a nice pair of 10/22's there!

In Remembrance

My remaining 10/22s are late `60s production standard model and an International model. Both have a nice trigger pull from use. A friend had me do a Volquartson trigger and hone job on his heavy barrel rifle I made for him. As I recall the trigger on it broke at just under 2.0 lbs.Robert

Boolit Master
    Put a power custom hammer in mine trigger pull went from 7 lbs to 2.5lbs used the std springs not the power custom ones .well worth the price for such a simple to do improvement. Gunsmither safety tool is well worth having to make full strip downs much easier.

Boolit Master
    I ordered the Volquartsen and it should be here today I gave serious thought to sending it to brimstone but decided I would give the new hammer a try

I buy the Volks kits all the time. Have put dozens of them in. Most guys use their 10/22s for
    small game hunting, mostly squirrel. Have not had one unsatisfied customer. On new model 10/22s dif between night and day. Unless you are building some kind of super target for precision
    target work, it's all you need.

Boolit Master
    I got the kit last week 8/11 but didn't get the time to sot down and install it till last night 8/15

I cleaned everything well and lubed everything up with slip2000 EWL and installed the new hammer, shims and the new springs

I went from a bit of take up and an almost 7 pound wall then nearly resistance free over travel to a bit of take up not very much then a break and a bit of over travel the thing is that it is the same pull weight as far as my finger can feel from the take up right through the break and the over travel.

hoping to get out to the range soon , but in some dry fire it is much better I can hold the cross hairs on target and the trigger breaks and I am still on target , where before it was very hard to hold on target while pulling through the 7 pound wall then the virtually resistance free over travel

could it get better with creep , break and over travel , sure it could but this is like a 90% improvement over the factory trigger pull with 40 dollars into it with parts and shipping.

Boolit Master

E. Arthur Brown has a trigger kit with hammer, sear, & springs for 54.95 that's a big improvement. they also have a drop in trigger assembly for $74 called the bx. They also have a ton of other accessories for 10/22's including the Jard trigger group that you can get with a 1 lb pull!

Boolit Master

Yes, same thing I experienced MUCH improvement and I can still stay on target where before, it was harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    I got the kit last week 8/11 but didn't get the time to sot down and install it till last night 8/15

I cleaned everything well and lubed everything up with slip2000 EWL and installed the new hammer, shims and the new springs

I went from a bit of take up and an almost 7 pound wall then nearly resistance free over travel to a bit of take up not very much then a break and a bit of over travel the thing is that it is the same pull weight as far as my finger can feel from the take up right through the break and the over travel.

hoping to get out to the range soon , but in some dry fire it is much better I can hold the cross hairs on target and the trigger breaks and I am still on target , where before it was very hard to hold on target while pulling through the 7 pound wall then the virtually resistance free over travel

could it get better with creep , break and over travel , sure it could but this is like a 90% improvement over the factory trigger pull with 40 dollars into it with parts and shipping.