MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the 35 Remington

All very good points about the Ole 35 Remington except for 1 and that would be that today with the powders and bullets such as the Hornady 200Gr FTX that are available the Ole 35 Remington is no longer just a 150 yard hunting rifle. Now it can be used to great effect to over 200 yards.

But if one decides to stay with cast boolits then the as mentioned around 150 yards is a good rule of thumb I would think.
    I could be wrong but my Ole rule of thumb is that depending on load the 35 Remington is a good hunting round up to around 200 yards the 358 Winchester right around 300 yards and the 35 Whelen if after bigger critters such as Elk is a good 400 yard thumper.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master

The RCBS 35-200 is the mold you want. I like them over RL7 and accuracy is best with full speed loads. The pistol molds I tried were no great shakes, and as soon as I got hold of the RCBS mold I forgot all about them.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I don't have it in a lever gun, but do have a single shot CVA. Mine likes H4198 with the Hornady 180 GR SSP which is no longer available. It also shoots well with my Lee .358-200 grain RNFP mold. Shot two hogs last season with the 180 SSp and dropped them like a hammer and no blood shot meat. I think you are gonna love it.

Rosewood

Vendor Sponsor

I will second the RCBS mold or the NOE copy of the same if you want HPs or more than 2 cavities
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Asked Uncle Jim about his back oh, round about 1976, out at Gunsight, TX.
    He used 200 grain round noses, wouldn't touch the 150's.
    Said that out to 200 yards the deer was his. But that after 200 he didn't have clue where it went.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    But that after 200 he didn't have clue where it went.
    The deer or the boolit??

It's a legendary "bang, flop" rifle around here.

For jacketed, try using the Hornady 200 gr RN over Reloader 7 at 2080 FPS.
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 08-04-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll second the comment on brass made by GRUMPA. Good stuff!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal Son View Post
    And buckwheatpaul I like how you quote the Gipper!
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." President Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I think that Lane fellow(his name slips my mind) did a nice write up called "Super 35 Loads" and he presented a good picture for the 35 in a good strong action. Kinda funny how some guys turn up their nose and say why not get a 358 when we talk of a little more oomph from a 35 and all that tells me is he never played with the 35 Remmy!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master
    +2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or however many it's up to now........................... on the 35-200. "Try it, you'll like it."

Boolit Master

Definitely an under-rated cartridge!

Boolit Grand Master

Ok. 240 casings deprimed, resized, trimmed, chamfered, ultrasonic cleaned and now in the tumbler.

What to cast for it and what sizer size to use. I have:

NOE 360180
    NOE 360154
    NOE 358429

Is this an excuse to buy another mold? I'd prefer to stick with NOE if there is one suitable.

Load suggestions? Can't wait to shoot this caliber.

Boolit Mold
    My experience with a .35 is limited to a 1927 model Remington model 8. After trying several loads with Lyman's #358315 which is the 200 grain round nose, it showed the most accuracy with 20.5 grains of SR4759 with a Remington primer. The average for six shots was 1735 FPS with an extreme spread of 58.5 FPS and a standard deviation of 21.88. I've had loads show less spread and deviation but this was the most accurate. I guess SR is history now but the guy I buy from still has it. Hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Ok. 240 casings deprimed, resized, trimmed, chamfered, ultrasonic cleaned and now in the tumbler.

What to cast for it and what sizer size to use. I have:

NOE 360180
    NOE 360154
    NOE 358429

Is this an excuse to buy another mold? I'd prefer to stick with NOE if there is one suitable.

Load suggestions? Can't wait to shoot this caliber.
    The 360-180 and 360-154 probably won't chamber unless you load them WAY short. Too much full size body in front of the crimp groove. The 358429 might work, but I'd rather have a check to make life easy.

Has anyone mentioned that the RCBS 35-200-FN is a good mold in the .35 Rem?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Did a preliminary design sketch yesterday on a gas checked boolit using the SAAMI chamber drawing for the .35 Remington, trying to figure out how to best get cast to work with the Indiana regulatory mandate of 1.8" maximum case length. Figuring that if a design can be got on paper it would be easy enough to add a second crimp groove for normal length. Making 1.8" work is kinda tough.

Maybe paper patches would be better. With the case mouth lip rounded and the brass well annealed maybe paper will work. Protecting the patch while cycling through the action... working on ideas.

One of the ones that got away was a .35 Rem 336T. I had a Leupold 2x compact on it and it was perfect for its purpose-killing deer quickly. And shooting small groups with 200 gr bullets. Get that Marlin! Best, Thomas.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Did a preliminary design sketch yesterday on a gas checked boolit using the SAAMI chamber drawing for the .35 Remington, trying to figure out how to best get cast to work with the Indiana regulatory mandate of 1.8" maximum case length. Figuring that if a design can be got on paper it would be easy enough to add a second crimp groove for normal length. Making 1.8" work is kinda tough.

Maybe paper patches would be better. With the case mouth lip rounded and the brass well annealed maybe paper will work. Protecting the patch while cycling through the action... working on ideas.
    When folks ordered brass from me, from Indiana, I just trimmed the case to 1.795 and all is fine. Yeah to me it looks kinda funny with the short neck but the reports back don't indicate any sort of accuracy suffering because of it.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    In a Marlin the 35 is the best woods rifle ever made, light, handy, and powerful!

Boolit Master

I have always liked the .35 Rem. in a rifle or a Super 14 Contender barrels. I have taken deer and boar with the cartridge.

An old seasoned bear hunter I know said it was a better stopper of black bears than the .30/30 in his years of experience. Of that I don't know, but to me it is a very good caliber.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast