Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Treating Wheelweight Bullets

Banned

Heat Treating Wheelweight Bullets

I was writing for the various gun magazines rather regularly up until about 1990. I stopped, somewhat unintentionally, because I started working on an article idea that just took a great deal of time. The idea was an Encyclopedia of bullet casting. Now, 22 years later, I've finished and am in the process of writing all this material up.

One of the areas that I am not going to cover, because I'm not really interested in it and know nothing about it, is heat treating of wheelweights. Wheelweight bullets will be included in great detail but I'm not going to address the subject of heat treating them. I would, however, like to include references to how this is done.

So my question is this. Are there any references I can site that would cover this subject?

Boolit Master

Possibly this will help http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Banned
    Thanks!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    KLW, with all due respect, an encyclopedia of casting, with out full coverage of heat treating, would be sadly outdated before it was published.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Layne Simpson had an article in Handloader magazine on heat treating cast bullets , or part of the article was. I am looking forward to your book Ken, I will buy one as soon as they are printed.

Boolit Grand Master

Heat Treat

Cast Bullet Alloy

You should pick up a bit of info at these pages.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    KLW, with all due respect, an encyclopedia of casting, with out full coverage of heat treating, would be sadly outdated before it was published.
    +1

one could devote a great deal of book space to this important .... "black art within a black art" .
    Real guns shoot at least an ounce of lead

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Heat Treat

Cast Bullet Alloy

You should pick up a bit of info at these pages.

Rick
    Rick, did you write the articles? Good info.

Crabo

Boolit Grand Master

Crabo, yes, those are two of my articles.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Rick, why not give permission to Kenneth to include your stuff in his publication? ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    cbrick--Excellent articles!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Rick, why not give permission to Kenneth to include your stuff in his publication? ... felix
    Kenneth I take it is klw? Sure, if there is anything he wants to use and he asks.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Thanks but I'm just going to include a reference to the on-line material.

Banned
    Article has been finished and submitted. Now it will probably take Gun Digest a year or so to decide if they are going to accept it and about that long again to pay for it. Assuming it gets bought it will probably be six to ten years before they print it. Nothing moves fast.

Boolit Bub
    klw, don't forget that wheelweights are less available in the next time. Here in germany they get more and more rare. Because of this your book may be antiquated in a few years. You should add a chapter "Alloys and how to get them".

I was lucky and bought more than 900 kilogramm (??pound) of monotype with 20% Sb from my local scrap-dealer. I mix it to 4% Sb/2% Sn-Alloy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jahela View Post
    klw, don't forget that wheelweights are less available in the next time. Here in germany they get more and more rare. Because of this your book may be antiquated in a few years. You should add a chapter "Alloys and how to get them".

I was lucky and bought more than 900 kilogramm (??pound) of monotype with 20% Sb from my local scrap-dealer. I mix it to 4% Sb/2% Sn-Alloy.
    The article turned out to be extremely long so I cut out the section you are suggesting and wrote it up as a separate piece. It covered how to buy bullet alloys on the web and how to analyze those alloys to be sure that you got what you paid for.

Boolit Master

klw
    Are you the author who was looking for an illustrator a short time ago?
    JoeB posted an inquiry but it seemed to die on the vine.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Banned

No

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    klw
    Are you the author who was looking for an illustrator a short time ago?
    JoeB posted an inquiry but it seemed to die on the vine.
    Pepe Ray
    Not looking for an illustrator.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook covers heat treating. Proper casting technique of WW alloy has to consider the effects of heat loss rates on the dropped boolits if consistency is an issue. Those of us using WW alloy in black powder arms need to make sure they cool slowly as dropped; or, better yet, heat treat for best degree of softness. For heat hardening, many sources neglect to remind the uninitiated to do any sizing BEFORE the hardening -- but in that case it is a quick learning curve, guess how I learned that.

prs

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    Those of us using WW alloy in black powder arms need to make sure they cool slowly as dropped; or, better yet, heat treat for best degree of softness. prs
    Correction in terminology, What you are describing as heat treating for black powder is actually annealing . . . not heat treating.

Annealing always refers to drawing the hardness from the alloy.

Out of curiosity have you annealed WW alloy and tested the results with a BHN tester. Your results would be very interesting, I would think that there would be very little difference in air cooled WW and oven annealed WW.

Rick

CRPA Life Member