Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pan lubing method

Boolit Buddy

pan lubing method

I've been pan lubing with a crock pot heat source with a double boiler.
    I have been dabbling with powder coating in an oven.
    Is there a fire risk due to the petroleum base in pan lube material if I use my toaster oven?
    Not going to use a 400 degree setting but maybe 250?

Boolit Bub
    All this stuff about special ways to melt your lube is hoooooey

Put it on the stove, and keep rotating it when it starts to show it's getting hot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new lyman lub3.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	173543

My house is still here, hasn't been engulfed in the Ultimate Epic Post Apocalyptic Fireball

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mutley.gif 
Views:	595 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	173544

Boolit Bub
    Just don't store your donuts next to the stove, they taste a bit waxy after a few melts

Boolit Bub
    In the interest of full disclosure............it will fire up if you get carried away. But ya gotta go over the edge into Morondom to make it happen. Just watch the stuff, and turn it when it starts to melt.

Boolit Bub
    A perfect quintessential Moron will generally wait till the stuff starts to smoke, then stand back.....sorta curious, and wait for the kitchen to burn like a forest fire. It's a genetic thing.

Boolit Bub
    The same genetic defect will also cause the afflicted party to vote for a totally inappropriate candidate for President. Just sayin'

Boolit Grand Master

Lee lyman and others recomended the oven over the years. It will work keep temp down to just melt lube and you should be okay. A plus to the toaster oven is it can be set up outside on a table . This would limit damage if something did occur. The small toaster oven will work well. The draw back will be cooling times as even with the door open it will take awhile. and "topping off" the lube to fill all the grooves might not be as easy. I perfer the double boiler set up on the stove. A double hot plate could do a real nice job of this with a pan to cover both burners and either one large pan to fit in it or smaller pans for diffrent batches.

Boolit Master
    Makeshift double-boiler setups are ridiculously easy. Mine is just a pie tin resting on a frying pan.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    Aw c'mon.....gun totin' studs. Worst bada@@ doods on the planet, and y'all's afraid of doin' it over the burner. I'm smitten, I'm disillusioned.

Zombies gonna eat y'alls alive. Grow a pair!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Not afraid of doing it afraid of the wax grease fire that can result, Theres a diffrence between brave and being safe. Working with what we do simple saftey is a must

Boolit Master
    Already got a pair. No need to burn em off.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i broke down and bought a wax thermometer for 6 bucks and have realized that the lube in the pan can get close to the burning point before it all melts. sometimes the better part of valor is being safe before you become very sorry. and as for growing a pair have had them for quite a while.

Banned

i prefer to dip lube and cookie cut. easier, faster, immediately ready to load with no waiting for the pan of lube to harden.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i prefer to dip lube and cookie cut. easier, faster, immediately ready to load with no waiting for the pan of lube to harden.
    Please forgive the dumb question, but can you please clarify what you mean by "dip lube and cookie cut?"

I'm having a hard time envisioning the process. What keeps the lube in a semi-solid state? What prevents the lube from getting everywhere but the grooves?

Banned

dip lubing bullets is just that - grab a long bullet by its nose, or use a wire frame to support a short bullet, and dip into melted lube and place on a hard surface to cool down. after just a minute, use an expanded mouth brass casing of the same caliber to push over and down on the lubed bullet to scrape off the excess lube. or, take the lube filled bullet and put it into a LEE sizing die, which will both size the lead and scrape off the excess lube.

Boolit Mold
    rfd - Thanks for the visuals, this helps a ton. Also, your brass+rod device is clever!

Banned

i've since revised the cookie cutter to make it even easier to use ...

Boolit Master
    So much knowledge freely shared here , information like this helped me get started . Thank you and many others , well done Sr .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Just don't store your donuts next to the stove, they taste a bit waxy after a few melts
    How else are they going to stay fresh?

how that lube completely fills the groove and holds there while it is molten is strangely a baffling mystery to me, any certain trick to it........or voodoo? lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast