Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Hey you long range Creedmoor position revolver shooters.

Hey you long range Creedmoor position revolver shooters.

What do you use/how do you make a layer of protection for your leg from the cylinder gap?
    I feel like playing with a 100-300 yard portion of my property and getting abother gong for it. Because, well why not? Most people I know don't think a pistol is worth a darn over 20 yards and thata pushing it. I think just about everyone in this neck of the woods realizes the real potential of these firearms.
    I guess I'm getting a little bored with the 40 yard shooting at a 4"gong. Plenty good enough for a whitetail at that yardage.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

Quote Originally Posted by paraord View Post
    What do you use/how do you make a layer of protection for your leg from the cylinder gap?
    I feel like playing with a 100-300 yard portion of my property and getting abother gong for it. Because, well why not? Most people I know don't think a pistol is worth a darn over 20 yards and thata pushing it. I think just about everyone in this neck of the woods realizes the real potential of these firearms.
    I guess I'm getting a little bored with the 40 yard shooting at a 4"gong. Plenty good enough for a whitetail at that yardage.
    I use a thick rubber pad, like a truck mud flap, with a strap attached to the top 2 corners. Just hangs over the knee. Works great.

You can get fancier but Archie has the best and most economical solution. Won't ever wear out either.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned

I also use thick rubber and have used heavy cargo belt material.

Boolit Master
    A 1 foot long section of a discarded truck innertube works well. Just slide it over your pants to the knee area, lay down and shoot.
    Many IHMSA revolver shooters used such a simple solution for many years.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Rubber belting or mudflap material will work quite well for protection only. Back in my IHMSA days, though, I made myself a shield fitted to my shooting position/anatomy using a double layer of 5-6 oz. cowhide. During that same period, the OLD (Elgin Gates) IMHSA organization sold "IHMSA-Approved" Kevlar shields but I haven't seen one of those in quite a few years.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I used one of those Kevlar shields when I shot IHMSA back in the late 1970's thru 1980's. Problem with those was a hole was soon burned thru outer layer..during a match that old S&W 57 was blowing my arm sidways from being inflated like a baloon from the gas! I hand stitched a 1/4" thick piece of cowhide over cover. Actually burned thru 1 during my time shooting steel.

Mudflap it is! I have to imagine if I were to use leather it would have to be mighty thick and multi layer.
    Any of you guys ever use that position in the field? Purely curious at that.
    I've been sitting on the living room floor trying the Creedmoor position. Wife thinks I'm nuts.
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

Boolit Master

Lots of free mudflaps laying around in a truck stop, look around the back area where drivers back in and catch them on a high curb or snow pile and tear them off.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I made one from a piece of conveyor belt with a piece of seat belt material riveted to the top to fit over my knees. Those who say handguns are not accurate has not watched a silhouette match
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

I used a piece of leather many moons ago.

Back in the 1970's when Elmer Keith wrote his monthly column in Guns & Ammo there was a neat photo there of him in the creedmor position shooting a revolver at LR. IIRC his quote was something like... "Good long range handgun position, but really smokes up the pant legs". Always thought that statement was amusing. It surely does work though.

One other thing; wear an elbow pad. The recoil from even lower recoiling guns will take the skin off your elbow pretty quickly.