Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is there any Bolt rifle that can be rebored / rechambered to 30-30 Win?

Boolit Master
    I have one of the 1919A1 barrels Israeli marked that I bought from Sportsmens Warehouse cost me about $50. Funny thing is that they sent two prior to me actually getting this one. The first two were empty boxes due to lousy packaging. Brand new so been saving it for something special. They cost a bit more now but are can be found. Think there was a member here who had one done up on a 98 mauser action and in 308. No complaints about accuracy. Frank

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Williams gun sight co. Has a used Gun website that has 3 of the old savage 340-840 models listed on it all in 30-30. 340's aren't much to look at but they shoot great. They also had a Remington 788 in 30-30 listed.

Boolit Buddy
    A buddy of mine showed me a rifle his wife's grandfather gave him. It was a Swiss straight pull, older than the K31 but it was chambered in 30-30. It was sportered, but not all hacked up either. Of course he won't sell it too me for my collection & I haven't found another.

But a short little Swiss rifle in 30-30 would be just a hoot!
    I collect exotic ammo, if you have something interesting let me know.

Boolit Master
    Think the Swiss rifles converted to 30-30 were called alpine sporters. Then again could be wrong. Frank

Boolit Master
    I was wondering if one might be able to make a chamber insert in 30-30 to fit into some guns, such as maybe the 30-06 or 300 magnum or something like that. That might be the way to go since the 30-30 isn't loaded to high chamber pressures like some cartridges are.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    I was wondering if one might be able to make a chamber insert in 30-30 to fit into some guns, such as maybe the 30-06 or 300 magnum or something like that. That might be the way to go since the 30-30 isn't loaded to high chamber pressures like some cartridges are.
    Google ACE cartridge converters in Alaska- he'll know. I'm starting mine on a Spanish 93 action. You inspired me to do this so it's your fault if it doesn't work lol. On the barrel works forum. Best,Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll have to try a 30-30 thru one of my 1891s to see what happens. I have one I converted to 6.5X55 that feeds fine. The problem with using the original 7.65X53 barrel is the throat is very long and tapered. Don't know if this would clean up or not. One would also have to use caution with the original extractor. There was an issue original extractors breaking and a pin was put in the actions to limit side travel so this is a consideration.
    Most of the guns made with a detachable magazine for a rimmed round have an angled follower to allow for the increased size of the rims, like the British Enfields. I'll see if the 1891 Arg magazine will allow the full rim of a 30-30 to be loaded in it. I could make a switch barrel gun I suppose.
    I did rebarrel a 93 Mauser in 7.62X39 and could not get it to feed well.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Leadman did you try a short action magazine kit in that 93 ?

The block requires fitting but now it is advertised as x39 compatible. I'm working with 1 now, the OM follower is too short for the box and action , at least the parts I got are . I guess a lot happens to a rifle in 108 yr .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Hi Folks,
    I really didn't think this thread would run as long as it has when I started it:

That said; I might mention in my case I'm looking to shoot strictly targets so I do not need to feed from any magazine.
    One bullet loaded at a time.
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

Local shop has a savage or Stevens in 30/30. Bolt gun with detachable mag. Cool old piece.
    I eyeballed it a couple times but I need a lever gun for that cartridge.

Shooting supply in westport MA if you want to call him for a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Most gun shows up this way have a few savage bolt actions in 3030 for lower prices. Its a neat gun to load cast for. I have a 9 year old nephew from the city who loved to shoot the Savage340 bolt with 160 grain bullet and 8 grains of Unique.

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Just exactly what the title asks:
    Is there any Bolt rifle that can be rebored / rechambered to 30-30 Win?
    No worry about magazines.... it would be used as a single shot CB rifle
    Rebored or rechambered? No. Rebarreled yes. I think Savage sells their single shot action only (for custom builds). Best, Thomas.

JW flips- I successfully converted a 93 Mauser to 30-30 Win.
    It works well & shoots awesome. It took me a few months but I've figured it out.
    Check The Barrel Works if you're interested.......Best , Thomas.

Boolit Master
    The Savage 340 is C@R also humm!
    Frank G.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234