Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any Bolt rifle that can be rebored / rechambered to 30-30 Win?

Boolit Grand Master
    The old Remington Model 30 ?? (The commercial 1917 Enfield) was offered in .25 and maybe .30 Remington.

For that matter, it shouldn't be too hard to convert a Model 110 Savage to .30-30, especially if you don't need a magazine.

Robert

Boolit Master
    1891 Argentine mauser. You could turn the rims down so that they fit the bolt face and smooth out the sharp edges after turning the rims down. You would still have a magazine and functioning safety. Might have to check the rim thickness to avoid snapping the extractor though. I have a Winchester model 54 action which was the forerunner to the model 70 that was setup from the factory as a 30-30. Finally found a old Winchester marksman target stock at a local gun show. And have a 1.250 diameter barrel that has been on a shelf for many years. You could find a bubba'd 1891 Argentine rifle with bad bore and go from there. And shouldn't be expensive. The machining on those old rifles was second to none and the 7.65x43mm was no slouch either and very close to the '06. Frank

Banned
    I was thinking the Carcano or 7mm Mauser.

What really caught my eye on that super sport was the WALNUT stock. Most of the later economic bolts had birch I thought. The stock looked like it could have been made pretty. Ahhh, wood on guns, that's like debating about *****. I wonder what was the rifling, lead, and barrel condition along with bolt lock up. The steel of that era was plenty good enough for a thirty thirty. It looks like there is enough stock meat on the receiver to affix a scope. With the new powders of today and more boolit designs it might turn into a good shooter. Though, that .072 bull @ 100 yd can be tricky. That 340 in a shot out 225 could be rebored to whatever lands, twist, lead, etc. I wonder if those rifles with the clips or loaded single shot like the OP desired could have been made to accommodate the long boolits like the 299. With the 210 gr class boolit anywheres from 1400 to 1800 fps would be decent for the target.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    OR,if you want to find something really off beat,look for a rifle chambered for the .307 Winny.If you`re not familiar with that one,it`s just a rimmed version of the .308 Winny.Uh oh.fudge.I think that was only available in a lever gun though.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Much as I prefer the controlled feed Mausers for a repeating rifle, in which the cartridge rim rises up behind the extractor. Plenty of single-shot target rifles have been built on Mauser actions, and yet I think a push-feed extractor, made to clip over the rim when it is well or completely forward, would be preferable in a single shot.

It sounds as if the OP wants to use the existing barrel, and that is going to be the problem, as the .30-30 case body, though not the rim, is smaller than any common cartridge of its length. One possibility would be to reline an existing barrel. With this small round, of moderate pressure, the liner could extend all the way to the rear of the barrel, and the new chamber could be cut in the liner rather than the larger diameter slug of steel which is sometimes used.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 bolt heads for my savage 111. The magnum head works perfect with the 444 cartridge and it seems to work fine with the 30-30 brass. You want to change the magazine to a 308 series or 06 at least. If you play with the loading it will work. I often wanted to get a 30-30 barrel for my 111 but at some point at my age enough is enough. So if you want a 30-30 bolt on the cheap buy a old beat up savage magnum and for another 200 bucks or so you could get a barrel. Go the 30-30 improved route and you won't regret it. But as the nay sayers would say what is the point get a 308, true but you would have a 30-30 bolt.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    With a single shot it would be easy, but a repeater would likely be troublesome is the feeding department. It could be made to work, but man it would be some work. I would take a 308 any day over 30-30, and the 308 can be loaded down to 30wcf velocitys, then have the best of both worlds.
    They fly in the ointment of the .308 Win. as a cast bullet round is the short stubby case neck. To avoid sticking the base of the bullet in the fire severally limits your choice of bullets. I shoot cast bullets in several 308, so it can be done.

The 30-30 on the other hand, had the long neck that keeps most 30 caliber case bullets with their feet out of the fire. The smaller case capacity also is a help to the cast bullet shooter with his choice of powders and/or charges.

When it comes to cast bullet shooting in the 308 vs. 30-30, the 30-30 gets the nod every time. Now finding the rifle you want, gets a little more problematic.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

The Savage 340 family of rifles in 30-30 are the sleepers of the cast bullet shooting world. They are not high art, but they are great utility rifles that will deliver 1.5 - 2.0 MOA with many cast bullet loads.

The triggers have some adjustment in them, and while not great can be managed.

Savage tried to dress these up but they were no more popular than the plain jane versions, so the last version was spartan and sold under the Springfield name. Here is mine with a Lyman receiver sight I installed. Nothing fancy here, but there is no better utility rifle on this planet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005.jpg   001.jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    They fly in the ointment of the .308 Win. as a cast bullet round is the short stubby case neck. To avoid sticking the base of the bullet in the fire severally limits your choice of bullets. I shoot cast bullets in several 308, so it can be done.

The 30-30 on the other hand, had the long neck that keeps most 30 caliber case bullets with their feet out of the fire. The smaller case capacity also is a help to the cast bullet shooter with his choice of powders and/or charges.

When it comes to cast bullet shooting in the 308 vs. 30-30, the 30-30 gets the nod every time. Now finding the rifle you want, gets a little more problematic.
    Yes, and the long neck also keeps a lube groove out of the fresh air. Taking cartridges out of a box on the range is one thing, but they way they are often handled on a hunting trip is another.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    This is a 49' 325C and the selling point that made me look twice .

Attachment 173537
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

One thing about the 340, they are barely long enough to eject a loaded round in a "normal" length bullet. Start using something like the 311299 or 311284, it could be a problem. 311041 or Ranchdog works fine.

Boolit Master
    There seems to be a M54 Winchester in .30-30 for sale on any given day on Gunbroker. A finer .30-30 bolt gun will not be found anywhere. Period. Save your nickels, and sell the 340 to buy one. You'll thank me for that advice.

My brother has a bolt .30-30, says it's a Stevens 325C.

I have a sporter weight 7.62 x 39 barrel 22" long .308"/1-10" that is threaded for large ring 98 Mauser. A beater action could be attached and with some extractor mods I expect it would work- maybe even as a two- shooter. I believe these barrels were made by Wilson for Numrich. I also believe the 30-30 chamber reamer would clean the x39 chamber out. On the other hand the 91 Mauser action is push feed and easily converted to solid bottom single shot. Gotta love gun projects! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    There currently is a Winchester model 54 on gun broker for 535$ at the moment. Wood stock and what looks like a lyman 57 for the rear sight. No statement regarding the bore condition. Wood looks to be in nice shape and appears to have a 20" long barrel. And if you mess up the firing pin you can use one of a 1903A3 same type of setup. And also looks to have the front and rear receiver rings drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Redfield used to make a one piece scope mount base called the junior but since they have been taken over by Leupold either look in the Brownells catalog or call them up. See I done did found you one. No muss,no fuss all you gotta do is pay the man. All in all looks to be a nice carbine 30-30. Frank

Boolit Master
    It might be possible to have a 30-30 liner installed.

I would just look for an older T/C Contender carbine in 30-30.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    There currently is a Winchester model 54 on gun broker for 535$ at the moment. Wood stock and what looks like a lyman 57 for the rear sight. No statement regarding the bore condition. Wood looks to be in nice shape and appears to have a 20" long barrel. And if you mess up the firing pin you can use one of a 1903A3 same type of setup. And also looks to have the front and rear receiver rings drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Redfield used to make a one piece scope mount base called the junior but since they have been taken over by Leupold either look in the Brownells catalog or call them up. See I done did found you one. No muss,no fuss all you gotta do is pay the man. All in all looks to be a nice carbine 30-30. Frank

If I had that money that gun would be mine!! That gun if not trashed would be a 30-30 dream. I have a 54 in 270 and it needs a lil brother!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure that a TC Encore could be beat in a ss 30 WCF.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    I looked at it, too. The barrel is a standard 24", the rear sight is a Lyman 48 (best of the best, IMO), no extra holes drilled in it.

The 54 only had factory holes drilled in the receiver ring, never in the rear bridge- the way this one is. The idea was you installed a target scope block on the receiver ring and another one went into the barrel sight dovetail slot. You then mounted a target scope- Fecker, Unertl, etc. Notice the bolt handle's factory curvature allows for use with such a scope- no need to have it bent. (Of course if you installed a "modern" scope system on it you would have to d/t the receiver bridge too, and alter the bolt handle- a crying shame for a pristine 85 year old rifle.) The pics aren't too good, but it looks like maybe the front target scope block is in place on the barrel. Either way, just using the Lyman 48 would be treat in and of itself.

I would confirm bore condition before bidding, were it me.

I bought its twin on GB a little over a year ago, and got it for $700.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast