Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any Bolt rifle that can be rebored / rechambered to 30-30 Win?

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Is there any Bolt rifle that can be rebored / rechambered to 30-30 Win?

Just exactly what the title asks:
    Is there any Bolt rifle that can be rebored / rechambered to 30-30 Win?
    No worry about magazines.... it would be used as a single shot CB rifle
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

I come up with nada in answer to your question, but, in the interest of completeness, want to suggest the Remington 788, which was factory chambered in 30-30 and had a detachable magazine.
    Last edited by Nueces; 07-31-2016 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Misspelled 788!

I have seen Euro built Mauser 98s for the 22 Savage High Power round that fed through the magazine slick as snot on a glass door knob. I have also see a few of these in 25-35 WCF as well, so it can be done.

The Remington/Winchester P-14s are chambered for 303 British which is a rimmed case. Lets us not forget the Remington 788 and Savage 340 which were bolt guns chambered for the 30-30 round.

I own a Browning Traditional Hunter single shot chambered for 30-30. Not a bolt gun, but if you are going to use it as a single shot, why not use a nice falling block single shot action.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

pretty much any bolt action rifle can be made to shoot 30-30 with a barrel change and having the bolt face modified. It's really a very simple thing you are wanting to do for any gun smith worth his salt. As far as converting a rifle and retaining the factory barrel, you'll need a 30 caliber something with a similar cartridge and I am not sure what to tell you there. Lots of 30 calibers out there but the 30-30 is a smaller diameter 30 caliber and most you find are going to be 308 or larger. As I said, a simple barrels swap and chamber is all that needs to be done.

Boolit Master

The savage 340 came in 30-30 as well.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

The Savage 340 came in 225 Win which would lead to just a rebore of your choosing. It also came in 222 & 22 hornet, but other modifications would be necessary. There might be a few vintage european guns chambered in something of a small cal of that case style design. I forgot what the europeans labeled the 30-30 as. It would be in a 5. something to 7.62 x 50 something MM. A lot of similar weapon configurations are manufactured across the Pond both ways.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I come up with nada in answer to your question, but, in the interest of completeness, want to suggest the Remington 722, which was factory chambered in 30-30 and had a detachable magazine.
    I believe you may have meant the 788, not the 722. I don't recall any 722-721 series of rifles ever being chambered for a rimmed case, however I most assuredly could be mistaken. Sure wouldn't be the 1st time.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned

Savage 340s in .30-30 abound, usually aren't expensive and are pretty good rifles.

If you're looking for an interesting project, there was one of the old Savage Model 40 Super Sporters on Gunbroker with some issues for about $100 starting bid a little while ago. It needs a trigger guard and I think a safety, but otherwise looked Ok. I was kind of mulling on bidding on it, but have too many things taking my time lately. Link here;

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/574327425
    Last edited by richhodg66; 07-31-2016 at 08:11 PM.

"It needs a trigger guard and I think a safety", and the listing says NO Safety. I believe you pull the firing pin back to cock or off of half cock safety on those particular bolt actions.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Banned

The 40 and 45 Super Sporters had safeties. Look at the picture of the left side of the receiver in the pictures in the auction you'll see "SAFE" stamped where the safety ought to be. It had a similar arrangement to the Model 23 series, you pushed down on one side to make it safe and on the other side to make it shoot.

They were actually pretty innovative rifles in their day, though not as good as the Model 1920 that preceeded it.

Banned

Quick search revealed that Numrich has both parts in stock. Looks like $50 worth of parts would have that old girl complete.

I need to stop this before I buy that darn rifle.

Banned

If you want a good shooter, hold out for one of the Remington 788s. I had one and sold it, liked the 340 I had better, but the 788 would shoot tighter groups any time any way. I've owned several 788s over the years without a bad shooter among them.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had a Savage 325 C ,1949 vintage in 30-30 just as it left the factory . It shot well .
    I would expect that about any Mauser 93 and up or any sister cousin rifle should be able to be readily adapted to the rim diameter.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The 40 and 45 Super Sporters had safeties. Look at the picture of the left side of the receiver in the pictures in the auction you'll see "SAFE" stamped where the safety ought to be. It had a similar arrangement to the Model 23 series, you pushed down on one side to make it safe and on the other side to make it shoot.

They were actually pretty innovative rifles in their day, though not as good as the Model 1920 that preceeded it.
    I would have bid if they accepted c&r license.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Grand Master

The 788 remington, Several model savages, and some europeon guns were factory chambered in 30-30. To convert one the right bolt face, ejector, extractor will need to be found or made up. The barrel is a simple rebore or replace option. An american 7,62 X 39 with .308 brrel might allow for simple rechambering and the bolt face alterations. As has been said above its not a super hard conversion but is time consuming and thats expensive in itself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I had a Savage 325 C ,1949 vintage in 30-30 just as it left the factory . It shot well .
    I would expect that about any Mauser 93 and up or any sister cousin rifle should be able to be readily adapted to the rim diameter.
    The 325 is a 340 as is the 840 and several other nomenclatures and it was sold by Western Auto, Sears, Coast to Coast and others under their house brands. I have a Sears one in .30-30, a Stevens 322 (same rifle) in .22 Hornet and a 340 I recently got in .222. The jury is still out on the .222 but the others are good shooters. A decent 340 or variant in .30-30 is not hard to find and they are pretty respectable rifles in my opinion.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I come up with nada in answer to your question, but, in the interest of completeness, want to suggest the Remington 722, which was factory chambered in 30-30 and had a detachable magazine.
    Actually, it wasn't the 722, but the 788. Winchester 54 was also produced in .30-30
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I have a vz 24 mauser that takes the 30-30 rim after slimming it down a weebit and making the rim to about .480, and the brass still ejects out of the 336 and 94. I have a carcano that takes the old 30 Remington nicely.
    Look twice, shoot once.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The 325 is a 340 as is the 840 and several other nomenclatures and it was sold by Western Auto, Sears, Coast to Coast and others under their house brands. I have a Sears one in .30-30, a Stevens 322 (same rifle) in .22 Hornet and a 340 I recently got in .222. The jury is still out on the .222 but the others are good shooters. A decent 340 or variant in .30-30 is not hard to find and they are pretty respectable rifles in my opinion.

I have had 1 each and they are very similar and probably even share parts ,if 1 is searching on line or deals with a black & white individual a 325 might be over looked in a search for a 340 .

There are things like the butter knife bolt handle on the 340 I had that were never offered for a 340 . Yeah lipstick on a pig ,but even I look good in Armoni and that's just a suit .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    With a single shot it would be easy, but a repeater would likely be troublesome is the feeding department. It could be made to work, but man it would be some work. I would take a 308 any day over 30-30, and the 308 can be loaded down to 30wcf velocitys, then have the best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast