Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Ignored a stranger

Moderator Emeritus

Ignored a stranger

I am almost too embarrassed to tell this story , but maybe if I bare my soul, I'll more likely not do this again. Also, I didn't even put this together til I read Boaz's post about a stranger...and while this is something totally different than his post, His subject line was all it took to remind me of this stranger I ignored.

If you seen my post in "our town" about my recent bout with heat exhaustion, You'll know I've been under the weather for most of this week, I didn't go through all the details there, but the flu like symtoms finally subsided yesterday morning. It all started Tuesday, a very hot day, I wanted/needed to get many outdoor chores done. The last one, was emptying my rain barrels, by hauling 5 gallon buckets to my fruit trees, many of which are in the boulevard (next to the street).

This last chore was an arduous one and I was really feeling it before I even started. I just wanted to "push through" and get it done. I should have taken a break, but I figured if I did, I would have just quit for the day.

With that mind set, right after I hauled the first 2 buckets, I see a young fellow (teenager) walking a dog. He is a ways off down the street, but we make eye contact. I continue with my chores. As I hauled the next two buckets, he started walking toward me. I continued with another couple of buckets as he walks up to my trees.
    He spoke to me in broken english, "Water?".
    I say, "Yes, I'm watering the trees"
    He said, "water to drink?"
    I tried to explain, that this rain water is probably not potable, but he obviously doesn't understand.
    So, I say, "no, this is for the trees"
    He looked a bit sad, then he continued walking down the street.

I should have taken a break, and offered him some good water, I myself drink filtered tap water that I had ready to go, in a pitcher in the Kitchen, heck I have bottled water in the frig that I could have offered him ...but that involved stopping and probably taking a break and maybe sharing a conversation with this stranger...I had options. What did I do? I pushed through with my chores worrying they wouldn't get done, if I stopped for a break ...and essentially I ignored this stranger.

In hindsight, maybe? just maybe, if I did take a break and share some water with this stranger, I may have avoided heat exhaustion, maybe not? but who knows? I know I shouldn't look at it like this, but it's surely obvious our actions and inactions can have consequences.

I Believe in Jesus Christ and I should have served that stranger as Christ would have, as He has directed us to.

I don't really know how to end this story...I guess to ask for prayers, to help me become a better person...to make us all be better.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Well JonB, now you know. You live and you learn. Now you will be more sensitive and observant. Probably more humble too. Go in peace my brother.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Buddy

I had a similar situation happen several years ago. The reminder of it reminds me that taking time for a stranger could have been entertaining angels.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Master
    Are you sure he wasn't telling you to drink water.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Are you sure he wasn't telling you to drink water.
    Heh, nice take on it.

Moderator Emeritus

Jon, I know all too well what heat can do this time of year, and I think this one will be very easy for God to forgive. And, I can't help but wonder that, having a good heart, maybe God sends us little things like this one to remind us of our obligations, and to keep us sharper? I have no real answer for that. Just the wonder. The key is having that pure heart so that we CAN learn from them. That you have, and if he'd been in any sort of dire need, I'm sure you'd have dropped what you were doing and tended his needs. IMO, you can have a pass on this one, and I know you'll be on the lookout now for anything similar, so good work was done. Ain't it funny how God uses even our imperfections and inattention to teach us? THAT, my friend, takes a God of real majesty and wisdom and power! We truly serve the True God of all creation!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    We all fail . Last week I passed a pick up that obviously had a flat on the road . I drove on and thought later down the road that it might have been an old person , maybe they didn't have a jack or lug wrench , .................... . Yea , I failed . But it did heighten my awareness to do better.

Boolit Master

Yes Sir, I can relate to being in a hurry and passing on a stranger, As has been said we live and learn and God convicts us of our wrongs.

Moderator Emeritus

Jon, Hindsight is always 20/20...there is not one human on earth that has not gotten so self absorbed that we missed the obvious. Dont beat yourself up....you were human. Watch the heat and profit from the lesson that you taught yourself. Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Jon look behind you. Do you see bunch of guys with spikes and Timbers? We all fail the only one who did everything perfect was crucified for the forgiveness of sin. Why because God knew we would sin and needed forgiveness. God's grace is significant to forgive our sin. You have learned a lesson and God has forgiven you.

Considering how often good Samaritans are set up to be robbed, raped and/or murdered these days, it is a rare occurrence when I help a stranger. Of course, I've many times been able to use my instincts and sense non-threats from those who I have helped on the road. There are certain folk who wouldn't get urine on their head from me if their hair were on fire.

Just the the way things are these days. Men with ill will and larceny in their hearts have spoiled it for everyone else.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Moderator Emeritus

One other thing that strikes me here, is the simple fact that, here in this world we live in, if we fail to do our due diligence at some point, there's always another who'll be along in time to give it another try. We're not the ONLY path to belief and relief of suffering by any means, and God seems to give the faithless every opportunity possible to come to light. Again and again He challenges them and their beliefs and words, and tries to bring them into the fold. Some just reject even His best offerings to them. So if we falter once in a while, it's OK, and God has that all figured into it all, in the great scheme of things, and someone will come along and give them another chance, I believe. There's a cutoff point for us all, believer and denier alike, but God doesn't "take out the trash" without sorting through it with a VERY fine-toothed comb! Once again, when we fail, we have to again have faith that God will somehow make it right. We don't even have to know how. Just that He will. If that's not another humbling thing, what could be?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Here in the land of 1-20 miles of dead air ,more with the wrong cell carrier, and next gas 100 miles signs I tend to stop for folks on the road especially midday with temps 95 and up . Funny the most gracious always seem the least likely.
    I've even stopped for senators, plain folks and really dumb kids .

There is a reason for everything.
    I suspect someone was trying to tell you to get a drink and cool out for a few minutes.
    It's likely that the stranger would have dumped your buckets for a glass or 2 of water .
    Thus you may have avoided your delima all together. ........ on the other hand what's done is done and we can't undo it so , onward we bumble .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Moderator Emeritus

I still stop for someone broke down. I carry a regular shop floor jack and a 12 volt impact that makes a tire change take 10 minutes at most... I do watch for the area I stop in, make sure there is other traffic if it is a young person and that there is no shelter nearby for helpers to mug me from. In one case a young girl had pulled over to change her sons diaper and locked herself out. I carry a slim jim and a coat hanger so I popped her door lock open for her and went on my way after she got his diaper changed and was safely back in the drivers seat. She had no roadside assistance insurance, car was a junker that was barely road worthy. She told me her boyfriend had kicked her and their son out and she was trying to make it to her parents in the next town. Since I was headed to that town I followed to make sure that car made it and waved as she pulled up in front of their house.