Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burned Out - Big Sur

Boolit Master

Burned Out - Big Sur

I am writing this from a remote cabin in Northern California. I spent the week bootstrapping including a 250 mile all day round trip to Redding for a $500 Costco computer and a Verizon WiFi hotpot among other things. Then there was setting up Win 10....... That and I didn't buy a mouse. Somewhere in the back of my head I feel I have all that stuff but I know it's gone. My first attempt at posting I Tried to use a smile and deleted half the post so I won't do that again. LOL

A week ago today I had 2 hours to decide what to load in the truck and evacuate. A fire that started in Garrapata State Park Friday morning had grown to 3000 acres and evacuation was called around midnight. I grabbed mostly semimental family stuff, important papers, my dies and 3 molds, food and a suitcase of clothes. I missed a nice Ruger 10-22 and a few other things I'm kicking myself for but that's how it goes. My cabin made it through the first attack but the fire came around again and got it. What a waste, illegal camp fire they say.

I spent a couple hours at the Red Cross Center but there wasn't a sign of coffee by 6 am ad I headed to Starbucks. Motel 6 was $107 a night (Monterey, Tourist Season) so I drove up here. At least here I have work finishing the bathroom. Got some emails from neighbors today and their stress is showing. What helps me focus on the present is one wrong cut on the floor tile and Home Depot is 90 miles one way. LOL

I get flashes of anger but not often, I had a lot of neat stuff, the pantry was full. There are positives though. I won't have to wash the windows. I am no longer tied by Lyman H&I Dies, I can buy a Star.

Anyway I got the bathroom floor installed and the toilet back in today. No oven or laundry but I'm thinking about it. Housing in Big Sur has always been difficult, will be close to impossible now. I don't like these changes, I was very happy in my rut.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Perma-Banned

Sorry to hear this...

Hope tomorrow brings you better fortune.

Prayers for you and all of those affected.

Boolit Bub
    I'm sorry to hear you've gone through all that. Stay strong, it sounds like your turning things around pretty well.

Boolit Master

Preppers can learn a lot here.
    It's not how much you have, it's how much you can loose.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Excellent attitude sir. What else can you do? Adapt and survive.

Don't get me wrong. Ruts are very nice. but can end in moments.

From the sounds of it, you are going to do fine. Good Luck.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    I know what its like to start over it isn't easy and I have done the coulda shoulda done this or that but when it happens and you have a family the only real thing is the safety of your family first everything else is secondary hope you can rebuild even better than you had it takes awhile but like the old man said if it don't kill you it makes you stronger.

Oh boy, I'm sorry for your loss. Your online attitude sounds ok but I would imagine that your completely devastated. The fires over here near Auburn missed us again this year by 4 miles and we had evacuates from Volcanoeville here for a week as the fire progressed around them.
    Have they opened the area yet for you to get back in?
    Are you with friends now or did they get it too?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

This might sound wrong, but a friend of my says adversity is opportunity. Attitude is everything. Look forward make it better.
    Sorry you have to deal with this.

Banned

this sucks.
    but it is an opportunity to use the experience you have gained and replace things with what you really want now that you know what they are.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    this sucks.
    but it is an opportunity to use the experience you have gained and replace things with what you really want now that you know what they are.
    Pretty much my thoughts. Hang in there and good luck. At least you survived; material things can be replaced.

Moderator Emeritus

man, that's rough.
    Praying for ya.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear of your troubles! At the end of the day it sounds as if you got out with perhaps not all but at least a lot of what you consider important but the main thing is that you are safe. "Stuff" can be replaced, but if not it is still just "stuff". Our prayers are with you. Stay strong.
    R.D.M.

I'm really sorry to hear about what happened. On the bright side, at least you got to salvage a few items, and I hope they were the best ones.
    Thankfully, you had some place to go. As you rebuild your hobby perhaps we can help a little with this and that if you make your needs known.
    All the best to you.

Boolit Master

Mal, I am sorry to hear of your ordeal. I am also rather proud of you for how you are choosing to deal with it and share about it here. Good on ya.

Boolit Master
    As D..G.. said, let us know if we can help with parts and pieces.

Banned

I can't imagine how hard it would be to go through that, and I doubt I would have the strength of character to handle it as well as you seem to be.

To reiterate what's been said, please let us know if there are bits and pieces you need to get re-established as a handloader.

Boolit Master

Fecal Matter happens - I am truly sorry for your loss, and the accompanying tribulations. What do you need?
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Mal, I am very sorry for your loss and I admire your attitude. Even though I am of English descent, I have a tough time keeping a stiff upper lip but I admire those who can. Three years ago a policeman was banging on our back door, when I opened it he told me, you have twenty minutes to get out. What do you choose in so short a time. I quickly opened one safe and put some pistols in a very large briefcase. I took no long guns. My wife grabbed some photo albums and we split. We drove to a town six miles to the west, along with many of our neighbors and got a motel room. We didn't know if we would have a house the next day or not. The next day the all clear came on the radio and we came home. The firefighters had stopped the fire short distance to the East. I envy those people who can grab a toothbrush, some shaving gear, jump on their Harley and go without a single worry about possessions. Unfortunately I am not cut out of that cloth. I like nice things, such as a beautiful large bore single shot rifle or a Colt, S&W and Ruger pistol, all of which I have. Life would be boring without my guns. If you like to collect rare Tiffany vases or other forms of China, power to you. Personally I think they make good targets at two hundred yards, but to each his own. We drove up the old coast road many years ago and passed through Big Sur. It was very dry and hot that day and the place looked like a tender box. We drove on to Monterey and spent the night. Early that evening the news reported that a fire had broken out in Big Sur. Mal, let us know what you need to get started reloading again. I can't send you a Star [don't have one myself] but I may be able to come up with some things, especially brass. I also have some extra loading dies.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Very unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear the news.

If I may offer one suggestion... Hire a public adjuster to deal with your insurance company. The insurance company will act in their own best interest. You need someone that knows the system and will act in yours. The fee will be high, but not as high as the shafting you will get without one.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

This is one of those events that terrify us. You sound like you are taking it in stride. Hang tough!