MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ghost peppers

ghost peppers

some body gave me a starter plant in the spring now I have a bunch of chilies close to ripening. The only problem is what do I do with them after I harvest them?

thanks,
    Phil
    If God had intended us to not eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

John Cleese

Moderator Emeritus

Dry and crush to add to food, freeze whole, make salsa, pickle them to top burgers... anything you would do with any other hot pepper! I made atomic buffalo turds with them for a chili head meeting, they cleaned the plate but got reports the next day it was an unpleasant time sitting on the throne!

Boolit Bub

Being from Texas, I would say, chili, of course.

Vendor Sponsor

When you work with those uberhots, be SURE to wear some nitrile gloves, maybe even dbl thick as just touching those will get into your skin and it can be rather unpleaseant. Chopping them or other prep, wear respiratory protection. If you dehydrate them, put the dehydrator OUTSIDE. If you think I am kidding, put some in a food processor and then open the top inside your kitchen. Prepare to vacate with coughing, choking, runny burning nostrils, burning eyes, you won't ever forego equipping yourself with good protective gear again!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Dry and crush to add to food, freeze whole, make salsa, pickle them to top burgers... anything you would do with any other hot pepper! I made atomic buffalo turds with them for a chili head meeting, they cleaned the plate but got reports the next day it was an unpleasant time sitting on the throne!
    I grow some Red Caribbean peppers here, not as hot as a Scorpion or Ghost, but hotter than a habanero by far. It gets my scalp sweaty to eat them, and although it is plenty hot, it never burns on the way out where jalapenos which are 1/10th the heat will burn me up. Never figured that one out.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Listen to DougGuy. Nitrile gloves. I got a drop of Carolina Reaper juice on my hand at the base of two fingers.
    That sucker burned for three hours like a hot poker.

As to uses, I just bring them out to shut up the "Nothing is too hot for me" braggarts.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    Take needle and thread and string them up to dry. Once dried pun on gloves and cut off the stems. Once this is done put in a blender and blend. Let stand for a few minutes and then remove blender top and dump peppers into plastic or glass jars to store. Aviod inhaling the fumes or particles.

Boolit Grand Master

Do NOT just pop one in your mouth, frozen or dried and crushed would be best. Pickled peppers would be another way to keep them.
    Dried in a food dehydrator until totally dry, crushed and put in a glass jar they will keep for years and still be HOT.
    Gary

Moderator Emeritus

Why I made the Atomic Buffalo Turds from them(pepper stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped with bacon then smoked). It was for a group who claimed nothing was to hot to handle... I was laughing so hard after they took a bite that I was crying. I ate one... and will never do it again! I like hot but I prefer flavor over extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    Listen to DougGuy. Nitrile gloves. I got a drop of Carolina Reaper juice on my hand at the base of two fingers.
    That sucker burned for three hours like a hot poker.

As to uses, I just bring them out to shut up the "Nothing is too hot for me" braggarts.

Banned

They got the name because after eating, people can see through you. I like hot and spicy but draw the line at pain. Those things hollow you out!

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Take needle and thread and string them up to dry. Once dried pun on gloves and cut off the stems. Once this is done put in a blender and blend. Let stand for a few minutes and then remove blender top and dump peppers into plastic or glass jars to store. Aviod inhaling the fumes or particles.
    thats what I did with the ones I grew a few years ago still have half a biggie full little goes a long way ! And a biggggggg+ 1 to the fumes and fine powder that's floating in the air after chopping them up in the blender ! Feels like you got pepper sprayed !
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

You could always make pepper spray,add a little to your dry rub next time you smoke meat,they will bring out a good taste with venison,but use just a little crushed pepper. Some like it with red beans and rice,,any recipe where you would use crushed red pepper,just use your own but keep a keg ready,really if you pickle them,it will cut down the heat a little bit and make it easier on your stomach.
    Also a glass of cold milk will help stop the burn if you make the soup to hot.and by all means keep the kids away from it.and warn the wife unless your looking to trade her in
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    I let my serrano's dry on the plant and then crush them, would probably have done the same if my habenero's had produced anything. Ghost peppers are a good bit hotter than I can tolerate! I'd 2nd the opinion on wearing gloves when harvesting...you don't want those oils where the son don't shine.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Banned

little girl brought back some hot sauce from the Caribbean last year.
    scotch bonnet [my favorite] ghost pepper and scorpion.
    you can't really tell the ghost pepper from the scorpion but the scorpion has just a little bit deeper flavor and is maybe a bit sweeter.
    I got a tick bit carried away with the ghost pepper sauce last night and feel it this morning.

anyway one more thing you can use the peppers for is to train dogs that beg or whine for food not to do that.
    every time they whine for food offer them a chip or whatever with a drop or two of the sauce on it.
    now you gotta be careful doing this, it worked on the Chihuahua just fine, but big dumb Haley now has an affection for hot sauce.

Moderator Emeritus

I tried that with my cat Tigger... who knew cats like hot sauce!

I made atomic buffalo turds with them for a chili head meeting ...
    OK, I can't help myself and just HAVE to ask ... what is your recipe for "Atomic Buffalo Turds"?
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    little girl brought back some hot sauce from the Caribbean last year.
    scotch bonnet [my favorite] ghost pepper and scorpion.
    you can't really tell the ghost pepper from the scorpion but the scorpion has just a little bit deeper flavor and is maybe a bit sweeter.
    I got a tick bit carried away with the ghost pepper sauce last night and feel it this morning.

anyway one more thing you can use the peppers for is to train dogs that beg or whine for food not to do that.
    every time they whine for food offer them a chip or whatever with a drop or two of the sauce on it.
    now you gotta be careful doing this, it worked on the Chihuahua just fine, but big dumb Haley now has an affection for hot sauce.
    Years back I had a lab puppy named Moses who loved chewing on the ends of sheet rock. I had a large pile of them while I was renovating my house. If left alone for a short time he would chew the end off a sheet like a potato chip. So I figured I'd cure him by slopping on some hot sauce and that would be the end. Well anyway like Mary's cat, my lab had zero taste buds and really liked the hot stuff. He proceeded to eat more when he had the opportunity. He was sentenced to time in the portable crate kennel for bad behavior!!
    If God had intended us to not eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

John Cleese

Moderator Emeritus

Aka jalapeno poppers, started on the BBQ circuit long before they became popular

http://blog.bbqaddicts.com/recipes/a...buffalo-turds/

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    OK, I can't help myself and just HAVE to ask ... what is your recipe for "Atomic Buffalo Turds"?

Boolit Man
    ABT recipe:

brown one lb jimmy dean pork sausage
    add garlic to taste
    add one 8 oz box cream cheese and a tablespoon or two of sour cream (melts nice if left on low heat)
    cut jalapeņos in half and remove seeds
    fill peppers with sausage mixture and wrap with a piece of bacon
    smoke over Apple wood at 250 degrees until the bacon is nice and crispy and brown

Awesome! Thank you!

Aka jalapeno poppers, started on the BBQ circuit long before they became popular

http://blog.bbqaddicts.com/recipes/a...buffalo-turds/
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

I like spicy food but I also don't have to prove to any one how hot I can eat.

Vote Trump
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast