Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Discharged a round inside the house

Boolit Master

If there is truly no such thing as an accidental discharge, then there must be no such thing as accidents. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. A negligent discharge IS an accidental discharge, since accidents are usually caused by negligence. Saying "it was an accident" doesn't absolve one of responsibility; just ask your auto insurer.

Did you intend to fire the gun? If not, it was an accidental discharge, likely due to either negligence or mechanical failure. Simply put, an ND is a type of AD. I know it sounds good to say that there are no accidents, only negligence. It does help drill it into a person's mind that they are responsible for their own safety in a very serious way, but it's really not technically correct.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    When my brother and I were (He 11 me 9) kids. We shared a Model Winchester Model 1890 for our hunting rifle. 22 Shorts only.
    Deja vue...

Moderator Emeritus

I had an elderly friend who collected and restored those 1890's, and he had, he told me, some 150 of them he'd collected and/or worked on for most of his life. He was nearly 90 when he passed, and had pretty bad neuropathy in his hands, but STILL managed to work on them. And even with the neuropathy, when he filed a flat, it stayed flat. He was a dentist and was very adept at making any castings he wanted to, and was quite a hobbyist 'smith! I miss that old man. I spent quite a few hours with him, watching him work and listening to him tell me how to do various things, and how the factory originally did them, and how and why it needed to be done the way it was. He was a very interesting and knowledgeable and informative fellow. And he was GOOD at what he did.

Thanks for making me remember him. Great fellow. He had 3 sons and none knew beans about his wondrous collection, only that they were worth a good chunk of change. That's the sad part. I'd pay a good price for one of his old guns, preferably one I knew he'd worked on, but they're not selling. None need the money, and don't know what to do with it, and I suspect, they've been told that most any vintage Winchesters are increasing in value faster than any other "investment," so ... they're just sitting on them. Fans of that very neat old rifle will cry at this, but it's far from the only situation like this. FAR from it! If they ever decide to sell them, I'll definitely let it be known here. Nobody will know the character of the man who did the work on the ones he worked on, but they'll appreciate these fine rifles anyway, and I think that's all the doc would really want or expect or hope for.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    If there is truly no such thing as an accidental discharge, then there must be no such thing as accidents.
    You nailed it. Good job!

Banned
    You must be a young man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    There is no such thing as an "Accidental Discharge." There are Negligent Discharges and Purposeful Discharges. Negligence is self explanatory and hopefully, we will never get complacent enough to have one. Thanks for sharing your experience with us and letting us all review our own practices to prevent Negligent Discharges.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    You must be a young man.
    Actually...no. I am educated and experienced. You do not get my age by having a lot of "accidents."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    What y'all are talking about - the seeming slowing of time - is called "tachycardia," I believe, and it's common among those who don't freeze up as described earlier in the hang glider incident. I've experienced it a number of times, none when something good was about to happen. Some seem to have the ability to focus so acutely that they can enter that state at will, or almost so. I've long wondered if the old time "shootists" of note didn't have that ability? Don't know that, and probably nobody can really know what another really experiences, but if and when it happens, it's amazing how much real thinking can be done in a literal twinkling of an eye! I think it's some sort of momentary victory of intellect over emotion, because those moments seem to be devoid of real emotion, even when we know the emotions are on the way. It's a strange and unenviable phenomena, I think. Nobody wants to experience it because of the events that cause them. And it's probably impossible for those who've never experienced one of those moments to believe they even exist. But they do! I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy, but they certainly do!

Time does, in fact, stand still. The wife and I were on a trip to Anchorage from Fairbanks. The roads were icy, but not too bad. About 100 miles out we ran into a blizzard. I slowed down to 45 or 50 miles an hour. Traffic was very light, but I could see the headlights of an oncoming car in the distance. Suddenly, in my lane there was a car sitting, dead, without lights.Facing me so there were no reflectors. So close I knew we were going to hit it. The oncoming car meant i had to go right into the snowbank. In that fraction of a second, I realized that IF I missed that parked car, I could miss the oncoming one as well. I turned hard left, knowing it was useless, but at the last second, it turned. We missed the parked car by, literally inches. The guy coming the other way saw my sudden move and began to slow. I managed to get back in my lane in time to miss him.
    Now I, like most guys always considered myself a pretty good driver, but I know I am not THAT good. The whole incident took less than 2 seconds, but it seemed like i was in slow motion. It has been more than 25 years, but I remember every detail like it was yesterday. I have been in accidents, but I have never been that scared.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Nope, Blackwater, not "tachycardia". That has to do with the heart -cardia - and is the feeling that your heartbeat is shaking your whole body. It is fascinating - take your blood pressure when it is happening and it is fine - I've done it. Count your pulse, it is normal. But you feel as if your heart is beating right out of your body.
    The wife used to suffer from SVT( Supra ventricular tachycardia). The bottom half of the heart is beating normally, while the top half is racing at 200 beats per minute. Scary. A doctor fixed it by doing some surgery in her heart.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Strtspdlx View Post
    Not to say it'll never happen to me. It's human nature to make errors. I do however try to rack the slide Atleast ten times and check the chamber every time and make sure I see daylight down the barrel. Call it ocd or whatever but I try to be as careful with a deadly tool as much as HUMANLY possible.
    I'm OCD as well and this is one of the few times it comes in being handy. LOL

Moderator Emeritus

Wayne, you're right. I looked it up! Can't rely at all on the memory any more! Thanks for the correction. Now what IS the word for that sensation of "slow motion????"

At the time it is happening to ones self it is also a nightmare.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

I still carry a 22 bullet in my right leg from an AD when I was 22 - some 46 years ago. I had one in the chamber and dropped the clip in my Ruger RST4 - no magazine cutoff in those early guns. Touched the trigger when reloading the magazine and BANG!
    Again, no reason for an AD ecept for a momentary lapse in attention. I was lucky. I missed my femoral artery by a fraction of an inch.
    Scares me remembering it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Dude come on, clear the pistol before you clean it... Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    Dude come on, clear the pistol before you clean it... Jesus.
    Just a momentary lapse in judgement. That's all it takes. It could happen to you too.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Just a momentary lapse in judgement. That's all it takes. It could happen to you too.
    no, really, it could not.
    its like saying that I could forget to remove my underwear before I shower.

Seriously, before you handle any gun, make sure it's clear, its not like you can just forget that, sorry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    no, really, it could not.
    its like saying that I could forget to remove my underwear before I shower.

Seriously, before you handle any gun, make sure it's clear, its not like you can just forget that, sorry.
    What? You've never woken up in the shower with just your underwear on?

*Anything* can happen...

That is deffinantly a BROKEN ARROW. OOOOOUCH. Kryogen it will happen to you some day and, as in my case I hope no one gets hurt. You sir are just to sure of yourself, but if it did you would probably not let anyone know because it will be totally an accident It was posted as a helpful reminder stuff happens when you let the guard down for just an instant.
    As with other trheads people post some try to take it to the far side instead of what it is for.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

He is right, anything CAN happen and someday will.

I had my first one about 2 months ago. No one injured, only causualty was my wifes remote control fan that I was using as an aim point. Thanks to sheet rock over plaster and lathe, then 1.5 inch thick douglas fir sheathing then stucco nothing came through. Totally blew my mojo for a couple of weeks though.

FYI I would have sworn that was my homemade snap cap with primer pocket replaced with hot melt glue I loaded.
    I still have not figured out where that loaded round came from, or why it was where I always put my snap caps.

Brain fart is the only defense I have.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567