MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Discharged a round inside the house

Discharged a round inside the house

Yes after a 50 + yrs record I acccidently discharged a round in the house. It was a 9mm remington hollow point. Now before the whips and switches come out let me Do some explaining.
    I bought an Springfield XD MOD 2, love that little gun, now in the instructions it tells you how to break this gun down. Turn the lever at the front of the trigger guard straight up then pull the slide back to engage slide lock. Hold slide and release slide lock so slide will move forward. The slide will stop and you MUST pull the trigger and release the firing pin( dry fire) then the slide will contenue forward and can be removed.
    There is no way out of it you MUST dry fire the gun to release the slide completely for removal. When I read this I thought now that could be dangerous if a round happen to be in the chamber.
    Well I manage to end up with a round in the chamber when I started to dismantle this pistol to clean it up after shooting a hundred rounds of handload cast boolits. The bad news is there is now a 4 inch slot in our wood floor and surprisingly it was not that loud. This could of been prevented if I had been more observent and more careful. I take the blame fully!!!!
    I have sense sent an email to Springfielld about what happen and I felt they need to look into this safety issue. I am not blaming Springfield, I did it by not being my ussual safety minded self. Now break out the clubs and beat on me.
    Oh by the way the wife did not say much other than she was glad it hit the floor and not one of the appliances or the dogs or us, then she just chuckled. Ya got to lover a woman like that, I am lucky to have her.
    CD
    Last edited by leeggen; 07-30-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I have had one AD and it was in the house as well and the floor was were it ended up . I did point it in a safe direction to pull the trigger. I dug that round up and keep it on my reloading bench as a reminder. So nobody hurt lesson learned . That's the way I looked at it .Glad you are safe and nobody got hurt .

Boolit Buddy
    Pull the mag before you rack the slide.
    Revisit the 4 Rules.
    There is nothing wrong with having to pull the trigger to remove the slide. You fell short in the gun handling department. Specifically knowing how to clear a gun you love.
    Happy you are safe.

Boolit Master
    Know a fella that ripped off a 3" 20 ga of #6 shot one day thru the ceiling. And the roof. It rained that night so it was a rather unsatisfactory experience he said.

Country boys are better at teaching themselves than learning from others most days.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Measure twice, cut once. For guns check three times, visually check every time. Look in mag well, look to make sure a cartridge did not get stuck in the chamber.

Boolit Master

Had my first not too long ago, just lucky it was outside and no one was around. Was working up loads for a little 380, load a few, go outside and check function and poi. After several trips, I got lazy and shucked 4 rounds from the loaded defensive mag to test 2 loads without reloading. After my 4 shot test, thinking about how they performed and what to try next, I dropped the hammer on the defensive round and shot the dirt a few feet away.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Bub
    Happened to me once with a 30-06 bolt action. I was trying to check if my load would chamber and it did. But closing the bolt was stiff. Upon trying open the bolt. I bumped it with the palm of my hand instead of opening it. The rifle discharged. The round went through the closet header board at an angle then went through bathroom ceiling came out the roof in two pieces so i had plug two holes instead of one in the roof. Boy my wife thought i was nuts.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to say it'll never happen to me. It's human nature to make errors. I do however try to rack the slide Atleast ten times and check the chamber every time and make sure I see daylight down the barrel. Call it ocd or whatever but I try to be as careful with a deadly tool as much as HUMANLY possible.

Boolit Master

I think the same instructions Says "Warning Never disassemble a loaded firearm"No Excuse
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Same with Glocks - a good reason for the loaded chamber indicator. But you still have to check - rack the slide first. My AD was slamfire in 308W - it was loud. Cast boolit took out a chunk of concrete.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

When she said us, are you sure you were included in that group? 😃

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    Μολὼν λάβε

I had an accidental discharge a few months ago with my Beretta 92fs. I was shooting at the indoor range and things were proceeding nicely when then gun fired without my finger on the trigger. I had just loaded a new magazine, as I closed the slide on the first round and aimed at the target, the gun fired by itself.
    I immediately unloaded and cleared the weapon, put it in it's case and took it home.
    Turns out that a small piece if dirt of some kind had gotten into the sear notch, holding the sear from engaging completely. Apparently when I dropped the slide on the new magazine, it moved just enough to release the hammer and fired.
    A good cleaning and I have had no more trouble after several sessions and probably 300 rounds fired since. I was lucky the circumstances were what they were.

Boolit Grand Master

Glocks and several other of the newer pistols have to have the striker dropped to disassemble them now. Vigulant saftey is required with them, Not onlyremoving the mag and racking the slide but vissually inspecting them. Another little helpfull set up is a large flower pot with a plastic plant in it and alot of dirt. You can use this to point into while disassembling and if an AD occours the dirt catches it and contains it.

Yes sir I did let my normal guard down for that one instance and I got bit. I have beat myself up very well. Everytime I walk to the fridg. I see that scar in the floor. Just nice to see I am not the only one that has been bitten. Misery loves company.
    That system is just a change from my PX4 with its decocker. No excuse I just scewed up.
    CD
    Last edited by leeggen; 08-10-2016 at 04:23 AM.
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

That is an NG not an AD all on you.

You did not put your little finger in the chamber to feel that it was empty.

Pay attention all the time.

It happens glad you did not kill anyone. Obviously you had it pointed to somewhere safe. I will bet that will not happen very soon again.

Mine was the TV screen.

Boolit Grand Master

Discharged a round inside the house

Some pretty major safety rules weren't followed. If the pistol doesn't have a magazine disconnect the mag should be removed, rack slide to clear chamber and visually confirm it's clear. If it has a magazine disconnect then you drop magazine, rack slide to clear, visually confirm it's clear and reinsert an empty magazine. Loaded magazine and not checking for a loaded chamber were the root cause of this.

Sorry that it happened but you honestly can't check enough times to make sure the chamber is clear. It's like at work when I use my meter to check for power even after I locked it out and I've been working on it. Takes a few extra seconds but it sure gives me peace of mind.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    We all need to fess up, there are no accidental dischages.
    Just negligent discharges.
    Stay safe.
    Rsise that (safty) bar.

Boolit Master
    I do believe he manned up and admitted as much in his first post. Accidents still happen, glad no one was hurt. Just a good reminder for the rest of us thanks to him sharing.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

An auto has more ways of tricking a person into thinking it's safe that a magician's hand. Thank God you followed the first rule and had the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast