RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: H 4227 vs imr 4227 whats the difference

Boolit Buddy

H 4227 vs imr 4227 whats the difference

Years ago I used IMR 4227 in my son's 218 Bee cartridge. Still have a small amount but am getting ready to reload a couple hundred and I want fresh powder. I understand Hodgdon has bought out IMR and I don't see any IMR powders listed on their website for this cartridge I do see the H 4227 listed for the 218 Bee..

Is H 4227 the same as IMR 4227 just with a new name by Hodgdon ???

Ron H

Boolit Buddy
    H 4227 is discontinued.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rwadley View Post
    H 4227 is discontinued.
    Imr 4227 Made by Dupont orginaly Was then Made by a Company In Canada and called IMR 4227 and Says Made Canada on the label

IMR 4227 Made Canada is discontinued

H 4227 is now IMR 4227 and is made in / By Australian Munitions

So if it says Australia it is H 4227 and use H Data ----------> and work up your loads

Boolit Bub
    While they say to work up, I have run one with the other's data at max in a .357 Magnum. No problem.

Boolit Master
    My understanding is a little different. All current production is from Australia and is made to the H4227 formula but will be sold under the IMR 4227 label.

I believe this is because IMR is the oldest version and more loads have been developed for it. Because IMR is the faster version it should be safer to start with IMR loads even though the powder being used is actually H 4227 as this will produce slightly below expected pressures.

Boolit Master
    In these days of product liability, can you see them risking the use of the same number if it was likely to get them into trouble? That doesn't mean they are totally right, of course. Just because it works identically to the other designation at a given set of bore, case capacity, bullet weight, bullet forcement into the rifling and probably one or two other things I haven't thought of, doesn't mean it will at all others. You need to work up from a reduced load as with any other change of powder. But I would be surprised if the end result isn't that the same charge works in the same way.

Boolit Master
    I am confident the manufacturer is aware of all the risks yet apparently they did it. Could it be because they have more detailed knowledge of their product's performance parameters than we do?

Boolit Bub
    H4227 is not discontinued.
    It is made in Australia By ADI (Thales) as AR2205 and is imported into the US By Hogdon as H4227.

Boolit Buddy
    What I meant is that Hodgdon no longer has a powder in their line called H4227.

http://www.hodgdon.com/msds.html . It looks like both are made in Australia (ar2205) But the last can of IMR 4227 i bought in late 2015 was made in Canada.

Boolit Master
    IMR 4831 (and 4227) is a faster burn rate, and will cause issues if loaded at H4831. Example:
    180g SPBT H4831 60g @2710g & 44300cup, IMR4831 56g @2750fps,&57100cup

I got this from a conversation with the people at Hornady.
    Last edited by doc1876; 08-02-2016 at 07:53 AM.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

I read in a Gun Magazine that they are identical. The decision was made to keep IMR 4227 because it outsold H4227. Maybe yes maybe no. It's good powder though. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    UPDATE on my situation. As I originally posted I am loading for a 218 BEE on a 2nd Gen. T/C frame with a 20 inch bull barrel topped with a nice little Leupold 3 x 9 compact scope. I built this rifle in 1982 for my 13 year old son. Brass and IMR 4227 was plentiful at that time. Today it is different. Today brass is hard to come by but I have managed to pickup a couple hundred new and good used cases. After shopping all the LGS's none are stocking IMR 4227 or H4227. So I decided to use IMR 4198. Nope same situation. IMR 4198 does not appear to be available but Hodgdon does list H4198 for the 218 BEE. I found H4198 at a LGS so that is what I brought home - marked manufactured in Australia. I had a partial 1Lb can of IMR 4198 on the shelf but the can does not indicate where it was made other than Hodgdon's address. This can is probably 30 + years old and has a $9.69 price tag still stuck to it. New 1Lb bottle of H4198 is $29.55 + tax. I decided to compare the two powders in a side by side comparison for any visible difference.
    WOW --- That H4198 has soooo much smaller granules that I couldn't believe it. I am sure the burn rate and pressure produced will be different than the older product so I will be starting at a mid range charge of 9.8 Gr.'s and will work up from there. Hodgdon charts show a max charge of 10.9 Gr's for a 50 gr. J word which is what my son & grandson will be using unless I get deeper into casting and can produce a good cast bullet in sufficient quantity that it will last both of them a life time. Neither of them have even the slightest interest in casting anything. Maybe that will change some day after I am gone and they inherit all my stuff and I am not around to load it for them. In the mean time I am putting together a reloading kit for them centered on the Lyman 310 Tong tools. Already have the proper handles and even found an unused set of dies. Just need to produce a good powder dipper for the correct charge and buy them a life time supply of bullets.

Anyway I want to thank everyone on this forum for your knowledge and willingness to share it.

Again --- THANKS

Boolit Master

I've been buying IMR 4227 for the past year, mostly @ Bass Pro. Pretty pricey, $37.00 / lb. On the plus side if ordered 'ship to store' for pickup, there isn't a hazmat charge. Also they currently (through 10-1-16) give you a $10.00 gift card with a order of $75.00 or more, shipped to store. Buy 2 lbs. and it works out to $32.00 / lb. plus tax, no hazmat fee.
    Every jug I have is marked "Manufactured in Canada - Packaged in U.S.A."