Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Alittle help

Boolit Bub

Alittle help

So i started reloading a couple years ago and stopped. Now i'm getting back to it. Right now i load 40s&w. I have to replace some equipment due to rust. Thinking of getting the lee classic turret again but i want a better powder measure. Yal suggest the Lee auto-drum or perfect powder measure? Also i had a problem with my cases bulging at the bottom. Never did get a remedy to it. Some input would be great. I'm looking to reloading for my 380 also.

Boolit Master

I use the perfect powder measure for 380, but I don't have a drum yet. Ppm can be iffy for small charges of large flake like red dot and unique, but works great for auto comp or hs6 at small charges.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    Midway sells the Redding GRX die to remove the bulge. $40 for steel or $81 for carbide. Mine is steel and has done 5M+ without a problem. Early on the carbide model had ring breakage. They may have remedied the problem. Lee also makes a bulge buster but I have no experience with it. Enjoy! Rod

Boolit Master

Are you saying your cases were bulging as a result of your reloading process?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    no. its from the "glock bulge"

If I remember right the Federal cases were supposed to be a little thicker base. I think most mfg. have increased the thickness at the base to help with the bulge. An after market barrel might cure that bulge permanently.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    If you carry a Glock, keep the stock barrel as it is much more reliable than the after market one. If it's just a fun gun then they are just fine. Most have a much tighter chamber that is better supported. The looseness of the stock barrel aids to it's reliable feeding. Leegen is absolutely right about helping to cure the bulge. I have a Wolf and a Barstow that shoot lead and are more accurate but don't feed as reliably. Rod

Boolit Master

the barrel is the issue, not the casing.

Boolit Master

On the 45C its the brass
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    Midway sells the Redding GRX die to remove the bulge. $40 for steel or $81 for carbide. Mine is steel and has done 5M+ without a problem. Early on the carbide model had ring breakage. They may have remedied the problem. Lee also makes a bulge buster but I have no experience with it. Enjoy! Rod
    5 million!!!! If you did one every 5 seconds that equalls 6,944 hours of bulge busting. I'm impressed.

I use the Lee bulge buster kit. Very simple to use and works really well.

I load 40 S&W on my Classic Cast Turret and use the Lee Auto Drum in conjunction with Lee's Powder Through Expander Die (have the Lee Deluxe die set). Lee has done a really good job on the system aspect of their tools. They work together well. I even use the Lee Pro 4-20 lead pot with the Lee 6-cavity mold to cast my 40 cal bullets (175 grain truncated cone with the mini grooves). The Lee Alox lube system works well too.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by domainfitz View Post
    So i started reloading a couple years ago and stopped. Now i'm getting back to it. Right now i load 40s&w. I have to replace some equipment due to rust. Thinking of getting the lee classic turret again but i want a better powder measure. Yal suggest the Lee auto-drum or perfect powder measure? Also i had a problem with my cases bulging at the bottom. Never did get a remedy to it. Some input would be great. I'm looking to reloading for my 380 also.
    What type powder are you loading? I've had nothing but great success with the Lee Auto disk (+Pro upgrade after I broke the 2nd hopper I bought). I use mainly ball powders though and smoothed out the disks with sandpaper for a better fit.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    Hey, what can I say? The K and the M are too close together when you type with only one finger. Rod

Boolit Buddy

I really like the Lee Auto Drum. Since I have been using it I have much better consistency than I had with the PPM.
    I've kept the PPM for backup.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by domainfitz View Post
    no. its from the "glock bulge"
    Reusing brass that has been Glock bulged is begging to get hurt. Get an aftermarket barrel and eliminate the bulge. I have the Glock 19 in 9mm and a KKM barrel that fully supports the case or atleast much more to the extent I don't have a bulge.

As for powder measure, the Lee auto drum on the Lee classic turret press is amazing! I have that setup for 9mm and the Lee PPM for rifle where I'm weighing each throw.

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    5 million!!!! If you did one every 5 seconds that equalls 6,944 hours of bulge busting. I'm impressed.

I use the Lee bulge buster kit. Very simple to use and works really well.

I load 40 S&W on my Classic Cast Turret and use the Lee Auto Drum in conjunction with Lee's Powder Through Expander Die (have the Lee Deluxe die set). Lee has done a really good job on the system aspect of their tools. They work together well. I even use the Lee Pro 4-20 lead pot with the Lee 6-cavity mold to cast my 40 cal bullets (175 grain truncated cone with the mini grooves). The Lee Alox lube system works well too.
    "M" means thousands. I think he's saying he has done 5000+.

"M" means millions, "K" means thousands. I figured it was a mistake.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    "M" means millions, "K" means thousands. I figured it was a mistake.
    I meant HE meant "M" is thousands. He obviously wasn't processing cases at 5 seconds for 6944 hours. Everyone knows it takes a full 7 seconds each. Lol.

Forgive me, I underestimated the time. It would be 9722 hours at 7 second a case.

Hey give a guy a break, he is only off a few 100,000.LOL I load for a 40S&W also but I weigh each powder load one at a time, sorry.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I've used the ppm, the disk's both non and pro versions and I now have the auto drum. Of the 3 I much prefer the auto drum. It seems to be much more consistent with smaller charges of Unique than the disks and doesn't leak or bind up using the small ball powders like the disk and ppm do. Until today I hadn't used my ppm in a while for W296, was loading some rounds for my new 500 S&W Encore barrel that came in today and the fine balls caused the ppm to get sticky and try to bind on me.