Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 1874 or 1875 sharps

1874 or 1875 sharps

Allright lets hear it,Whats ur likes and dislikes of each?Pros and cons so to speak.

sharps

Turboman both shoot very well, but I think you can get more accessories for the 74's than the 75's.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Buddy
    75's seem to be a dog when you try to sell them. Don't over look a 77 from Axtel.
    Best Roger

Boolit Master
    The '74's have all the historical romance, and. to me, "look right." The '75's were never a production item from the original company, so lack the historical cachet. Also, to me, they're neither fish nor fowl--I keep wanting to see that hammer disappear into the receiver and the thing turn into a Borchardt.

On the other hand, they're legal for Black Powder Silhouette (unlike Borchardts), seem to always be in stock (no 1-1/2 year wait) and they shoot like a house afire. About 15 years ago, I saw a guy put seven .40-65's out of one into a handspan at 500 meters, and I'm still impressed.

Boolit Man
    Back in the day when Shiloh had 3yr backlogs,I bought a CSA1875 in 38-55 to take up some of the wait.Also had a pedersoli 1874 and Roller in that wait.
    Like all have said already,"neither nor",but it [1875]did shoot well IIRC,many 200 yard open sited groups in 2.5-3" range with smokeless using one shell,and leaving the bullet stick out of the shell to be seated to max OAL upon chambering.
    Mine did have the trigger job done at the factory,and if you let the lever snap closed with hammer cocked it would go off!
    I let up on the leverspring screw a couple turns and had it set right,but that always bugged me.

Just my opinion.... the 75 is Uugly!!!! the 74 just looks right.

On my 74 if you lighten the set screw for the set trigger, set the trigger and cock the hammer and let the lever snap shut it WILL fire

Went to shoot a gopher, cocked the hammer, set the trigger, gopher went down. I opened the action to unload when the gopher popped back up. I just bumped the lever closed and the rifle fired.

FWIW I set my set trigger in oz.'s not lbs. If the trigger is touched when set, it fires.

Quote Originally Posted by freedom475
    Just my opinion.... the 75 is Uugly!!!! the 74 just looks right.
    AMEN !

Razor

Boolit Grand Master

I have a '75 and I MUCH prefer it over the '74. However, I seem to be in the minority. Mine is made extremely well and shoots accordingly.

'74's seem to be much preferred by the majority (seems that there are a lot of wrong minded people out there).

The only modification that I did to my rifle was to "checker" the hammer (original was a bit too slippery when hands were "slick"). That pretty much was all I needed or wanted as the trigger is excellent along with superb accuracy.

Dale53

Thanks for the replys guys,I TO FAVOR THE 1874,S,Just something about them,Was just looking at one at a good price,Buttttttttttttttt another 74 might find its way home soon.

Boolit Master

This is not a bad mouth of the 74. The 75 is cheaper to get into and the action is a little more streamlined, kinda like the 77. It is a great hunting rifle. I have one in 38-55 and it holds 2 minutes out to 600yd with the 335gr Lyman boolit. I use the 250gr Lee for hunting and it has taken 2 deer.
    Sort of the same reasons there are Fords and Chevys. Personally I like Hi-walls but eventually I'll have a 74.
    BTW I saw a BEAUTIFUL Shilo-Sharps this weekend. It was the first one that I've had the chance to examine closely. What fit and finish, there is a reason they cost what they do and take as long as they do.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I like the 75 real well, shorter hammer throw, less hammer arc, makes for quicker lock time. The action being much slimmer than a 74 , the 75 seems to handle just a little better.
    Now that a single set is an option for the 75's that should quite the trigger pull crowd down a bit.
    I guess I'll never quite figure somebody whinin around on a computer, shooting italian import stuff crammed full of smokeless powder , about a rifle built(in the USA with the barrel marked Old Reliable) from original sharps blueprints not being "authentic enough" But it takes all sorts of folks to make the world go round.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch 13 View Post
    somebody whinin around on a computer, shooting italian import stuff crammed full of smokeless powder
    Didn't seem to me that bushka was whining. Said his 1875 shot well...crammed full of smokeless.
    As for his Italian guns, he never said what he did with them...
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 05-28-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    Well I own both the 1874 and 1875 Sharps rifles in several calibers. Both are great shooters. For looks I will take the 1874 any day of the week. They look great and look like a buffalo rifle. However, I like the 1875 action for shooting at targets and game. So three out of four times I go to a match I am hauling my 1875 rifles. Same for hunting. Now if you really want authenticity buy a percussion 1863 Sharps rifle. There were more of them made than any other Sharps type rifle (80,000 as compared to about 7500 1974s and 2 1875s).

Boolit Master
    Both are good guns,

For me the appeal of the 74's are where its at. the 77 is all about grace and fine lines, the few modern 77's I have handled both were known for frequent parts breakage. And both owners no longer compete with them. Both shoot Highwalls now.

No reasons that make sense, but I just like the 74 best, with the 78 a close second.

The lunger

Kenny Wasserburger

Kenny one of the things that attracted me to the 75, its handling characteristics are quite similar to a highwall.
    74's are good but life's to short to put your boots under just one rifles bed.IMHO
    Someday when I grow up I hope to own examples of Ballards and Stevens along with the other stuff growin dustmites around here.

Boolit Master
    Don your right about life being too short.

Thats one reason I don't-won't settle for anything less then a Shiloh.

I found the 75 a bit awkward for me is all. As they say different strokes for different folks.

Hope your getting some of this excess rain WOW.

Kenny

Kenny as good as that old Shiloh has treated you , your loyality is marvelously well deserved.

We're getting moisture , nothing excesive yet, but dang who'ld a thunk grass turned green,and grew this time of year?

Have fun at the Q, I'm still trying to decide if I want to try Raton , or not. Ceph Jones been hammering on me to go with him and his son in law. Just have to see what I can make this rifle do at 1k before I make any hard decisions.