Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Casting The LBT 250gr OWC-PB Ogival Wadcutter For .45 Colt?

Vendor Sponsor

Anyone Casting The LBT 250gr OWC-PB Ogival Wadcutter For .45 Colt?

Anyone have any experience with this particular LBT boolit? I would like to find some samples to try in my .45 Schofield project.

45 Colt LBT 260gr OWC-PB

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

That is a sure enough bad donkey looking boolit.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Vendor Sponsor

I think I want to hold out and try the LBT boolits as posted if I can find them. Two of the Accurate designs are smaller diameter in the nose and the one that isn't is quite rounded off at the meplat. The thing I like about these wide meplat boolits is that the bearing surface extends way up the sides, the sides being full diameter as the base. They really are a SFN Short Flat Nose design in that aspect, why they call them LFN I don't know.

Thank you for the offer, much appreciated.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this particular LBT boolit? I would like to find some samples to try in my .45 Schofield project.

45 Colt LBT 260gr OWC-PB

Montana Bullet Works has them;
    https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...-250gr-owc-pb/

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    They certainly do, but if I found some here I may have a chance at a slightly softer boolit, and I can use my choice of lube.

50/50+2% works SO WELL in the Ruger rifling and twist.

Boolit Master
    I have an Lbt 457-260 Wfn if anyone would like some to try pm me.i do not have any as cast right now.i have them sized .457 with white lable carnuba red.lubed and sized they go about 265 gr.

Vendor Sponsor

Bump. Looking like Montana Bullet Works..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Bump. Looking like Montana Bullet Works..
    Using the Montana Bullet works bullets will give you a good idea if they will work for you especially if you plan to get a mold from LBT, I did this for a 45 lfn to see if it would work for my 45 Win mag. Worked like a charm and since I got 100 of them I was able to do some load development for when the mold arrived. I did cast some of the lfn bullets in soft lead/almost pure and they actually grouped better then the hard cast I first got until I pushed them too hard then had terrible groups. But the big plus I got from doing it this way is I knew before I ordered a mold that it would load, feed and what I could expect it to group like without taking a gamble and buying the mold first.

Boolit Master

I've often thought that Elmer Keith was pissed off at the world on the day he designed the 452423. That OWC gives the impression that Veral Smith also had one of those days. Yeah, it could leave a mark. . .

You might also consider a sampling of the 250 grain WFN right next to it on Montana's page. The slightly more pronounced taper on the ogive might help with potential throat fit issues. Go for the root beer barrel if it works, but this might be a decent backup plan.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    You might also consider a sampling of the 250 grain WFN right next to it on Montana's page. The slightly more pronounced taper on the ogive might help with potential throat fit issues. Go for the root beer barrel if it works, but this might be a decent backup plan.
    I have the 250gr WFN-PB and WFN-GC for testing, the 250gr OWC-PB would make three of a kind won't it?

I expect both these to be excellent shooters in 50/50+2% with soft lube. They have a rather short ogive, and a long bearing surface which should stabilize nicely out to 100yds or so. Montana Bullet Works alloy is BHN14-15 so a little closer to straight COWW but still soft enough to do well in a Ruger barrel.

I did this for a 45 lfn to see if it would work for my 45 Win mag. Worked like a charm
    475AR, what gun do you use for the .45WM?
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
    In the land of the disarmed, the one armed man is king.

Boolit Master
    Penn bullets has the Thunderhead in 45.

Vendor Sponsor

Using the Montana Bullet works bullets will give you a good idea if they will work for you especially if you plan to get a mold from LBT, I did this for a 45 lfn to see if it would work for my 45 Win mag. Worked like a charm and since I got 100 of them I was able to do some load development for when the mold arrived. I did cast some of the lfn bullets in soft lead/almost pure and they actually grouped better then the hard cast I first got until I pushed them too hard then had terrible groups. But the big plus I got from doing it this way is I knew before I ordered a mold that it would load, feed and what I could expect it to group like without taking a gamble and buying the mold first.
    Yep, I believe they would work good in a Win Mag too. I got 200 coming, unsized unlubed so at least I can use my own lube, trying some of randyrat's TAC1 seems soft enough should work a charm.

Finding a sweet spot with HS-6 11.0 to 12.4gr in QuickLoad says 1185 to 1255 so these are knocking right on a .44 magnum's back door, still under 23,000psi. Will have to see how they group, Veral says the OWC-PB is quite accurate when supersonic.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    Penn bullets has the Thunderhead in 45.
    These are close to the Thunderhead in meplat, will have to measure when they get here. They do engrave into the rifling a lot longer on the sides than the Thunderhead, which is a bore riding nose design.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWM View Post
    475AR, what gun do you use for the .45WM?
    AR15 custom made by RMW XTREME. Ron did a 10.5" DI upper for me and it is very accurate and a blast to shoot..

So Doug, how did this experiment work out? Very interested in the OWC vs Thunderhead duel lol

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by TMenezes View Post
    So Doug, how did this experiment work out? Very interested in the OWC vs Thunderhead duel lol
    I never found anyone here that casts them in 50/50+2% so I never got to try. The Montana Bullet Works casting is great, but just a tad bit harder than I would prefer.

Bummer, guess I'll order some see how they do.

Boolit Master

Have you tried to soften any? Baking 20 min @ 400 then air cool would make them as soft as your gonna get. Folks say you can only get as soft as cast, so this only works if they where quenched. I find that if they are hard I can make softer. If soft already, it dosent work well. So its likly the antimony thats being effected.

Worst case, you will have to relube them.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Off topic, but I can scroll through and stare at boolit pics on the MBW site for hours. Some beautiful specimens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast