WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: New Lee 430-310 and 358-200 molds sure work good

New Lee 430-310 and 358-200 molds sure work good

I bought these two molds a while back and finally had time to try them out. Its been too dang hot to cast but I needed some boolits to try in a couple new to me guns so I decided to go ahead and sweat it out. A couple hours time and I had a nice pile of boolits for my .44 Ruger SBH and my project 1955 Marlin 336 with Ballard rifling. I cleaned these molds like I always do with dawn and a toothbrush but even after 20 drops I was having fits with wrinkles so I decided to smoke the cavities. I know some people don't recommend doing that but let me tell you, it worked great and I started dropping nice boolits from the first cast. Can't wait to get them loaded and do some shooting.

I also did a little comparison to some RCBS 35-200 boolits I had on hand. Pretty close copy, just a little shorter and lighter.
    Life member NRA since 1976

How do those 358-200 shoot in a revolver ? I havent tried those yet.
    One who does nothing makes no mistakes.

Don't know. I will be shooting these out of a rifle. I have found some posts where some guys mentioned that but don't remember the outcome.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the review and detailed comparison. My last couple of Lee molds I've followed Lee's instructions and smoked the cavities. They worked fine that way.

I have and love both of those molds. Mine are both used in Handi rifles, .444marlin and .357mag.

As to mold smoking I used to do it that way, and it does work.

But so does Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant, dampen one end of a q-tip with it, work through the cavity's, vent lines, pins, sprue screws top and bottom of the sprue plate.

The liquid evaporates quickly but leaves a dry film behind that acts much like smoking a mold. Only lubed better. Boolits fly out of the molds, take hardly a tap, sprue's stay cleaner.

I bought one 4 oz bottle and figure my grandson will be using the last of it. I'll not likely live long enough to use it up. Somewhere around the 5-600 boolits per cavity I like to renew it, as it does wear off slowly over time. About the time half the cavity's are wanting to hang onto the boolits I'll cool the mold down and redo it.

It seems to also be an excellent cleaner, removing old tape adhesive, and old smoking.

I've always had trouble getting gas checks to fit on this RF .44 Lee mold? Bullets too loose to hold them properly.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bns454 View Post
    How do those 358-200 shoot in a revolver ? I havent tried those yet.
    I bought the mold, they didn't chamber for me. Been hanging on to it until I find a gun for it . If you'd like to try some I can cast a batch and mail them to you.

But so does Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant, dampen one end of a q-tip with it, work through the cavity's, vent lines, pins, sprue screws top and bottom of the sprue plate.

I bought the spray version of this product and just give my sticky molds a few blasts whenever needed. Haven't seen it cause any wrinkles or other issues so I continue to use it. Much easier than smacking them with my wooden mallet until they give up the goods.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I been curious about the Lee 358-200 myself, just haven't gotten around to ordering one. My 35 Rem is begging for some range time!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    I been curious about the Lee 358-200 myself, just haven't gotten around to ordering one. My 35 Rem is begging for some range time!
    pm sent.

Thanks Yall!

[QUOTE=DerekP Houston;3728200]I bought the mold, they didn't chamber for me. Been hanging on to it until I find a gun for it .Will they not chamber because of length ?
    One who does nothing makes no mistakes.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=bns454;3728256]
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I bought the mold, they didn't chamber for me. Been hanging on to it until I find a gun for it .Will they not chamber because of length ?
    Yes, it was a 38 special revolver at the time and my rossi. I wasn't comfortable seating them deeper at the time so I put it back on the shelf. Most likely user error. Shoot me a pm with your details if you want.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I have and love both of those molds. Mine are both used in Handi rifles, .444marlin and .357mag.

As to mold smoking I used to do it that way, and it does work.

The liquid evaporates quickly but leaves a dry film behind that acts much like smoking a mold. Only lubed better. Boolits fly out of the molds, take hardly a tap, sprue's stay cleaner.

I bought one 4 oz bottle and figure my grandson will be using the last of it. I'll not likely live long enough to use it up. Somewhere around the 5-600 boolits per cavity I like to renew it, as it does wear off slowly over time. About the time half the cavity's are wanting to hang onto the boolits I'll cool the mold down and redo it.

It seems to also be an excellent cleaner, removing old tape adhesive, and old smoking.
    I'm sold on the liquid Wrench Dry Lube also, bullets from treated cavities seem to jump out.
    After a casting session I clean the cool mould and treat it all over with LWDL applied with the Q-tip, so far , no rusting on steel parts in the hot humid Louisiana weather, my out building is not climate controlled and things will rust. I wasn't sure if LWDL would prevent rust but it appears to work.
    It's the best "mould relase agent" I've tried, lots better than the black spray stuff from Midway.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Samples have been shipped out today, hopefully they don't get dinged up too much in transit. If yall could post a review on this page as a follow up I'd be curious to know how they worked for you. Ended up adding 2% tin to the range scrap to get decent fill out and no wrinkles. That liquid dry wrench worked great, they were raining from the lee mold yesterday. Not sure why it didn't want to cooperate on sunday but giving it another day did the trick.

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master

thanks for.the write up, let us know how the 336 handles them, DerekP thanks so very much for sending me a sample.to try!!! this 336 has been in the works for a while now, me and my brother have shared one for years, this one I'm getting has been owned by a good friend for years, he got bit by the long range bug so.after extensive haggling I think it's mine as soon as I can get to his place to.complete the trade.