RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Marlin 375 win

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

My Marlin 375 win

One of our members requested me to send pictures of my Marlin 375 but I couldn't send them in a message so I thought that i would make a new thread with the pics.
    This rifle is in very good condition with a few marks on the wood. The bluing is 99%.
    This is an original 375, not a rechambered 30-30.
    The born on date is 1980.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 375-5.jpg   365-2.jpg   375-1.jpg   375-4.jpg   375-3.jpg  

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Cast Boolits Owner

Beautiful Rifle! If you ever consider selling there is a place at my house next to my 375 WIN #3 Ruger.

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Beautiful Rifle! If you ever consider selling there is a place at my house next to my 375 WIN #3 Ruger.

Hey Robert, I believe I'll keep her. She shoots true and is a classic of times gone by. I think production stopped in 83 but I may be wrong.
    The Ruger #3 is beautiful.
    I've got a Ruger #1 in 7MM STW. It was born a Ruger#1 7MM Mag. I never fired it from NIB, took it straight to my gun smith and had him rechamber it to the 7MM STW when that cartridge was still a wildcat.
    Back when I still hunted deer with a rifle, the Ruger #1 7MM STW was the only rifle that I used for the last 4-5 yrs. I started hunting with a bow after that, 15 yrs ago or so, maybe more.
    I did hunt with a rifle last year on a high fence hunt that was paid for by someone else. I hunted with my 257 Weatherby Mag, custom built about 25 yrs ago and had never been hunted with. That's another story.
    I made three good shots with three deer falling within sight, one a 160 class, the other two, does. Still eating those deer and expecting another high fence hunt for meat this year, paid for by someone else, Good buddy with lots of company money to spend.
    Last edited by Down South; 07-28-2016 at 08:14 PM.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

I like my 375 Big Bores

Ruger #3

and my Winchester Big Bore, And T/C Contender Barrel
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Nice rifles, thanks for sharing. Mine's a Winchester (bottom) and it's been a safe queen most of it's life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	173217
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

Nice rifles. One day I'd like to find a Savage 99 Brush Gun like my .358 one in .375, but they are hard to find and very pricey when you do.

Boolit Master

Have you fella's had any luck getting your No 3's to shoot cast? I haven't done well at all save a 38-55 load with RL7 which was at best ok. With 38 grains of RL7 and a Sierra 220 grain FP, the thing will drive nails. Perhaps I'm shoving to hard, I was working toward 1800 FPS, which I did not think too unreasonable for a NOE 379-235 with a GC. Had similar luck with Lyman 375449. I'm starting to believe this one might be a problem child with cast.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

Mine is a Savage 99, still has the hang tag on it

It's for sale. I have 100 pieces of new brass for it. Bring your checkbook because you won't find many unfired Savage 99s in 375 Winchester.

Boolit Buddy
    My Marlin 375 dates to a receiver made in '78, but I bought it new off the dealer's shelf in 1980. It's never had a factory round thru it. In fact, it ain't had nothing by Hornady 220s thru it... most of them at around 2200fps.

It was pristine when I bought it... now? Not so much!
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Cast Boolits Owner

If it will shoot jacketed accurately it will shoot cast accurately. Back down on your speed and load the boolits into the lands. You should see an improvements in accuracy.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Have you fella's had any luck getting your No 3's to shoot cast? I haven't done well at all save a 38-55 load with RL7 which was at best ok. With 38 grains of RL7 and a Sierra 220 grain FP, the thing will drive nails. Perhaps I'm shoving to hard, I was working toward 1800 FPS, which I did not think too unreasonable for a NOE 379-235 with a GC. Had similar luck with Lyman 375449. I'm starting to believe this one might be a problem child with cast.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    It does not take much to collect a full set of .375s.

1. Ruger #3
    2. Big Bore 94
    3. Savage 99
    4. 375 Marlin
    5. Contender .375 barrel

I must admit that I have never seen a .375 Savage 99 though. I own or have owned all the others.
    EDG

Darn, I'm 3/5 to the whole set!

need a Savage and Marlin
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance
    Down South, I'm thinking there jest ain't nothing in Lowsyana that needs a 375 to die, maybe you should send me that rifle just so it can have a chance of doing itself some justice. lol

Edit, I already bought the mold and dies, just in case you decide to do right by that rifle. lol

Hey Starmac, we haven't talked much in a while. I think that I will keep her. I might get up in your neck of the woods someday. Got a buddy right out of Anchorage that keeps bugging me to come up plus work wise, We have a project up there.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

In Remembrance
    Yea, you guys generally have a project going on the slope, or at least do in the good times. Things are on the slow side right now, so not sure what all is going on up their. I just pulled a two week deal on the haul road, and truck traffic up that way is way down, other than a push for styrofoam for the road job, nothing but a few fuel trucks and grocery trucks, going north.

Boolit Bub
    Ive had 3 marlin 375's n a win 375, wish i would have kept at least one if them to go with my rebored marlin 38/55. Might have to buy one of the encore barrels that mgm has on sale n 375 win

Boolit Master

At one time 15 years ago Gun Parts had Marlin 375 win barrels for $60.00 I put several on family 336's headspace was dead on [unreal] many deer have been taken with them with most using cast.

Whish I cold get 5- more of them at that price.

Boolit Master
    Good luck finding brass.

Mine has a case of the freckles so I got it for cheap.

NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Nice wood Elkins45 - If you don't load hot you can use 30-30 cases blown out in your 375 BB
    je suis charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Nice wood Elkins45 - If you don't load hot you can use 30-30 cases blown out in your 375 BB
    Brass is hard to come by. Winchester used to make a run of it from time to time but I haven't seen any in a number of years. I was fortunate to get a couple bags of 50 new unfired brass from one of our members a while back on a cleaning out sale.
    I have a number of formed 30-30 brass as well.
    But as Artful said, the 30-30 formed brass needs to be loaded at lower pressures intended for the 375 Win.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast