WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearng loss!

Boolit Master

Hearng loss!

Well went and got my hearing tested, good news and bad news. I can hear the normal mans voice fine, but my women's range is at the critical. Told my wife that was fine didn't have to listen to what I cant hear, I will be fine when the swelling goes down. The bad news is the darn itty bitty hearing aid cost what a new Shiloh does. O-well didn't need the Shiloh any how such is life.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

There's an old classic that says as men age they lose hearing in the upper frequency ranges and as women age their voices get higher.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

Repetitive Noise Hearing Loss... If you hear it a lot, you go deaf to it. My wife claims I have hearing problems, but it's only on the frequencies of her voice, so it's nothing that I can't live with...

In Remembrance

I know of a fellow who had hearing loss caused by a cholestreol drug. When he quit the drug his hearing improved. My loss is from a life of guns, artillery, extremely loud machines, a fireworks, mishap, etc. It's a wounded I can hear at all.

Boolit Master

In a lot of things I'd try to make a joke, or say something I thought would be funny, but hearing loss is no laughing matter.
    Hearing loss is a handicap, just like any other handicap. But if you're blind, crippled, or wheelchair bound, people can see your disability and have sympathy or compassion. But there is no visible disability to a person who is hard of hearing and more times than not is treated without respect and contempt for "not paying attention."
    People talk to you from another room and get angry with you for not answering or are facing away from you, maybe with their head in a closet or cabinet and it almost always is you fault for not hearing.
    You can argue that hearing aids help and for many they do. But for some with wringing in their ears, it only makes everything that you can't hear-louder.
    Last edited by Hickory; 07-27-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    25 years of Re-enacting the American Revolution as authentically as I could! Yes I'm quite deaf! Hopefully I may have thought some one about this great country's beginning!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Banned

I talk fairly quietly but have never had a person with hearing aids ask me to repeat what I just said,
    even on the telephone.

man the new hearing aids are about as super tech as you can get now, you can blue-tooth your phone to them and listen to music right through them.
    they are rechargeable too.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    man the new hearing aids are about as super tech as you can get now, you can blue-tooth your phone to them and listen to music right through them.
    they are rechargeable too.
    If you can afford them, I have no doubt that I need them but insurance covers zero percent and I can't find 6K or more for a inexpensive set.

Boolit Master

My mother in law let vanity win out for many years, and refused to get hearing aids.

By the time she finally broke down and got them, her hearing was damaged far worse.

Now she doesn't wear them half the time!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Mold
    I have friends and family getting along very well with Walker Game Ears for 150..to 350 bucks,might work for you.

Boolit Master

It is not necessarily from "repetitive noise". My sisters also have hearing loss maybe greater than I do. And, I have a lot of time in the engine room of nuclear submarines and commercial power plants. Out father could hear us whisper across the room when he was in his mid-80's. And, he spend most of his life on a John Deer. The last 20 yrs on one without a muffler after the turbo. My mother's dad was hard of hearing starting in his early 50's. Just like me.

I tried the Walker Game Ears. It seemed all the noise was just amplified. I recently bought a pair from SportEar. I saved up and bought the top-of-the-line. I didn't want to suffer through what my mother does with cheap ones. I am happy with my purchase.

Don't keep putting off getting hearing aids like I did! I missed so much of my small grandchildren's communication. And, I missed some of the last few words my deceased said to me. Don't put it off.

Boolit Master

I am told that Costco has hearing aids in the $2000 range.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned

I'm an old Artilleryman and have some hearing loss. Most of the time, I'm OK, but if someone has a soft voice (I teach teenagers and a lot of them don't speak up) especially if its windy or there's background noise, I really have a hard time.

Funny, my Artillery ears aren't so much from the sound of the guns I think as much as my time in a fire direction center or fire support vehicle sometimes days on end with a big diesel engine idling and having to monitor four or five radio nets, so of them digital with that fax/dial up sound all the time. Pretty sure that damaged it worse than howitzers going off.

HUH what did you say??

Yeah Rich FDC can be noisy, personally hate the tinnitus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    People talk to you from another room and get angry with you for not answering or are facing away from you, maybe with their head in a closet or cabinet and it almost always is you fault for not hearing.
    You can argue that hearing aids help and for many they do. But for some with wringing in their ears, it only makes everything that you can't hear-louder.
    The above is very, very true. As my hearing got worse, I went to more and more powerful aids. When he fitted me with my most recent and most powerful aid the audiologist told me that I would hear more BUT that I might not understand more. Boy, was he right.

If you work with or live with someone who has a major hearing loss let the aids take care of the amplification i.e. don't talk louder but face the person, talk with a lower pitch and talk slower. The lower pitch gets things down toward a range where the hearing loss may not be as bad and the slower pace lets him/her figure out what you are saying.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

VA has supplied me with aids for years. I get new ones every 4 to 5 years, I'm on my 5th set now, mine are no charge.

Might look into it if you're a Vet.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I also have a severe hearing problem. The doctor advises I cannot hear frequencies that are my wife's voice!!!!!

She always accuses me of not hearing what she says. I tell her...if she ever says anything worth hearing, I would hear it!

We have been married for over 43 years! Still no improvement in my hearing.

Boolit Grand Master
    The noise I hear isn't really ringing, it sounds more like cicada's on a warm spring evening. I blame most of my hearing loss on my last two ships; they were diesels not steam, a junkboat with three big CAT V16's and a Whidbey Island class LSD.

Robert

Boolit Master

I've spent the last 50 years in loud airplanes (Round Engine) and shooting a lot. Even with hearing protection I have ringing. If we had, had the new ANR head sets back when I started maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. Pretty amazing how quiet that engine gets when you flip that switch.
    So far I can still function but soft speaking people can be a problem.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    There's an old classic that says as men age they lose hearing in the upper frequency ranges and as women age their voices get higher.
    Hey, that's the definition of "Naturally occurring, selective hearing". Who knew it was real.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast