Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300+ grain mould for 44 mag

300+ grain mould for 44 mag

Hey everyone. Looking for a big boolit mould for my 44, and my next rifle purchase a 444 marlin.
    I guess I'm just looking for a new toy to pour lead into and push out of the SBH occasionally. And get ready for the 444 that will hopefully come my way after harvest time.

Thoughts?
    Ill try anything once, twice if I forgot

How about the Lee 310g? I have one you can use, I removed the gas check groove.

Mike
    P.S. I still haven't got my Rossi lever gun back yet.

Boolit Master

Get the gun and slug the barrel. If you get a Rossi expect it to be large. I got a .433 fn from NOE and have 5 rounds touching at 75 yards using Win Large primers and H110. The boolit weighs out at 300g or so but man what a performance out of a little 92.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...voq8pk0a4eqpt2
    cycles great and right on the money.
    http://ranchdogoutdoors.com/ for load data

The Mihec 305gr mold for .44/.444 would be good. It has 3 crimp grooves so you can adjust COAL.

Boolit Buddy
    Keep in mind that the 444's generally have tight throats and like short noses. SBH on the other hand can really take advantage of a nose up to about 0.45" in length.

Boolit Master
    MP-433-300HP works well in all my magnum .44's and 444XLR Marlin.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Quote Originally Posted by nockhunter View Post
    How about the Lee 310g? I have one you can use, I removed the gas check groove.

Mike
    P.S. I still haven't got my Rossi lever gun back yet.
    That would be awesome! ill shoot you a PM in a little bit here. How long have they had your Rossi, the fit and finish better be phenomenal. Thats disheartening, hopefully they get it back to you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    Get the gun and slug the barrel. If you get a Rossi expect it to be large. I got a .433 fn from NOE and have 5 rounds touching at 75 yards using Win Large primers and H110. The boolit weighs out at 300g or so but man what a performance out of a little 92.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...voq8pk0a4eqpt2
    cycles great and right on the money.
    http://ranchdogoutdoors.com/ for load data
    Planning on a pre-microgroove Marlin 444 lever gun. At least Im told its pre-micro groove. Wont know till the fella comes in just after harvest time. He apparently works at a vegetable farm and doesnt get out much till after that.
    I also have a R92 but it shoots .429's well without leading. Might have just gotten real lucky. One of these days a set of pin gauges is in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The Mihec 305gr mold for .44/.444 would be good. It has 3 crimp grooves so you can adjust COAL.
    Added to the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
    Keep in mind that the 444's generally have tight throats and like short noses. SBH on the other hand can really take advantage of a nose up to about 0.45" in length.
    Didnt know that, 444 will be brand new to me and I dont know anyone who has one. But then again I didnt know anyone who reloads and casts before I started either. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    MP-433-300HP works well in all my magnum .44's and 444XLR Marlin.
    Also added to the list! thank you sir. A dual purpose mould is always a good thing. Thats exactly the type of mould purpose I am looking for. Ive never played with a 444 and Im sure its overkill for what I am doing but if I can share moulds and give myself a little more versitility why not? If I had a 45 colt I would be asking the same question about a 45-70. Might even do that pair one day too.

Quote Originally Posted by paraord View Post
    Also added to the list! thank you sir. A dual purpose mould is always a good thing. Thats exactly the type of mould purpose I am looking for. Ive never played with a 444 and Im sure its overkill for what I am doing but if I can share moulds and give myself a little more versitility why not? If I had a 45 colt I would be asking the same question about a 45-70. Might even do that pair one day too.
    Shuz and I are referring to the same mold. I believe Mihec had a different name on the blocks over the years. On that bullet the top crimp groove is for the .444marlin.

Here is the most recent group buy of that mold that I am aware of. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...v-brass-cramer
    Last edited by dkf; 07-27-2016 at 02:26 PM.

They had my gun since April 2015, they said I will be getting a new one soon. They told me it would be three weeks to get my new one, that was a month ago.

Mike

send me a pm, I don't live too far from you. we can work something out

remember this post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-cast-alright!
    Last edited by nockhunter; 07-28-2016 at 02:18 AM.

Groo here
    I might suggest trying some commercial heavy bullets and then get one that is similar.
    For me , the SSK 320gr "Ramslammer" .
    You can get the bullets from Penn to try, if the gun likes , then get the mold [NEI]

I'm waiting for the feeling in my right hand to come back, before I shoot anymore 300+ grain bullets from my 44magnums.

Boolit Grand Master

300 grain at mag speeds in a SRH did a number on my elbow. A BH would be even worse.
    Do you really need that abuse? I hope you're at least using it on big game, and not just killing paper.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    NOE makes a version of the SSK 300 gr bullet. This the same style bullet that the late Larry Kelly took two elephants with. 19 grs of 296 and you have a whole lot of thumping power.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    NOE makes a version of the SSK 300 gr bullet. This the same style bullet that the late Larry Kelly took two elephants with. 19 grs of 296 and you have a whole lot of thumping power.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    That is news to me. There was 4 pages of talking about it on the NOE forum but it never went anywhere as far as I know.

Banned

Have to remember the first Marlin .444's were 1 in 38". They had so many complaints they changed to 1 in 20" for the heavy boolits. It is still a problem with the .44's unless Rem is smarter.

Boolit Master
    The bullet Larry Kelly used was the 320 JDJ. I have one of the molds NEI made for JD to sell through SSK As Jones owned the cherry.
    This mold was BEFORE the version with two crimp grooves.
    JD recommended 21.5 gr of W296 and a CCI 350 primer. This with the original 320JDJ. The late Kent Lomont did the pressure testing of JD's load.
    The original bullet was the one Kelly used.

Banned

The load was perfect but the Fed 150 will cut groups a huge amount. I had that boolit mold one time. came out too small, sent it back and the lapped mold had no GG's to speak of left. Had less then Lee TL.

Vendor Sponsor

There was a group buy for an improved version of the Lee 310 that had better crimp grooves, and a better fitting gas check shank. It was offered in .432" and .434" it may have even had 3 crimp grooves so it could be seated deeper for a levergun. That boolit would be a good choice and I happen to like gas checks on the 310 as it allows the use of a softer alloy, a better hunting boolit maybe, depending on which school of wound channel you subscribe to.

C430-310-RF cast 50/50+2% with Felix lube will take to the Ruger barrel's rifling and twist like a duck to water. Does in mine anyway.. 1180~1200fps out of a 7 1/2" SBH from 17.0gr H2400 which is not a max load by any means but shoots great and never clean the bore, never needs it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Groo here
    44mag#1 I have the original SSK 357/205gc,41/295,44/320,454/340and a 454/270.
    All shoot well and drive deep.
    They just don't like light loads. [need to spin up]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast