RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading Speer shot shell capsules

Boolit Master
    SnowWolf you should be fine at the 4-6 gr range of W231, Bullseye and likewise fast powders. The capsules get max if I recall my reading about 150-160gr for both calibers.

Boolit Master
    The capsules came in. Will try and load up some with the #8 shot I have. Funny thing about snakes. Yesterday we were flipping over a small boat that was laying on the shore of our lake. Wife said "Oh look at the pretty turtle with the nice orange and black pattern". She reached down to move it and I said just wait. After we flipped the boat the turtle uncoiled and swam into the water, lol.
    Thought my wife was going to pee her pants.
    East Tennessee

This reloading data is out of Speer Manual ten 44 Magnum #7 1/2 8 or 9 shot 6" barrel.
    630 13.0 1054 fps
    231 7.3 1133 fps
    Unique 6.8 1097 fps
    Bullseye 6.0 1101 fps
    HP 38 6.0 1061 fps
    700X 5.7 1105 fps
    Your pattern will equal 1" per foot so 20' = 20'' pattern.
    This data is on page 403 of Speer loading manual.
    I have Data for .38 - .357 and .44 special.
    I hope this helps as I have used the data in my .44 mag with 10 1/2 super Blackhawk.

In the last 10 years, I reckon I've killed more rattlesnakes than most folks will see in their lives. The ONLY ones I've lost and almost lost were when I was shooting #12 shot out of a 22 LR. I learned real quick that I needed to be uncomfortably close with those loads. But, that's just my experience.

I began carrying a 3" .38 with me everywhere I went and kept one chamber loaded with shot shell handloads. Normally I rob #9's out of my .410 skeet loads, but I also used #8 and occasionally even 7 1/2's. Never made one bit of difference and I never lost a snake. I now carry a 4 3/4" SA .44 Special load with #9 shot capsules and haven't had one so much as quiver after being shot.

A momma, 17 babies and a 9-shot 22 revolver. Had to "whomp" most of these!

I ran across this one on one of my walks about a mile and a half from the house. If you look close, something had bit most of his rattles off. I think this is the only one I've ever let go!

Proof that a .38 loaded with 9's works fine:

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 08-03-2016 at 04:00 AM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Been staging #1buck down in home made sizer die 10 gr unique they are great from 10 yards, 18 in a cylinder full does a job on paper plates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    In the last 10 years, I reckon I've killed more rattlesnakes than most folks will see in their lives. The ONLY ones I've lost and almost lost were when I was shooting #12 shot out of a 22 LR. I learned real quick that I needed to be uncomfortably close with those loads. But, that's just my experience.

I began carrying a 3" .38 with me everywhere I went and kept one chamber loaded with shot shell handloads. Normally I rob #9's out of my .410 skeet loads, but I also used #8 and occasionally even 7 1/2's. Never made one bit of difference and I never lost a snake. I now carry a 4 3/4" SA .44 Special load with #9 shot capsules and haven't had one so much as quiver after being shot.

A momma, 17 babies and a 9-shot 22 revolver. Had to "whomp" most of these!

I ran across this one on one of my walks about a mile and a half from the house. If you look close, something had bit most of his rattles off. I think this is the only one I've ever let go!

Proof that a .38 loaded with 9's works fine:

35W
    35W - To me that's proof. Proof is the bottom line buddy. Question: Speer is now loading .38/.357 shotshells with #4 shot. They are calling them "big four" I believe. What do you think of the concept?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    35W - To me that's proof. Proof is the bottom line buddy. Question: Speer is now loading .38/.357 shotshells with #4 shot. They are calling them "big four" I believe. What do you think of the concept?
    I don't know about that. CCI says they're effective out to 15', but that seems a long ways off to be shooting at snakes. And if it were a larger creature, I reckon I'd just thumb the hammer to the next chamber and use a bullet.

The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I shot a few #4 loads in my smoothbore judge and was not very impressed at 10yds. I threw away the target without pics... In any case, I switched to #6, 7 and 7 1/2. I know the distances are useless to snake shooting, but my gun usually simply blows a hole at a smaller distance.

Boolit Master

Lord knows, I don't use many of 'em. I've killed 3 snakes in my lifetime with shot loads out of revolvers. I load a mix of #8 and #9.

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

Cast Hunter

Here's the data right out of the box:

Last edited by RugerFan; 04-12-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Fixed pic
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

I use the Speer shot caps. 357 & 44mg. Instead of using shot I use solder. I use the fine type
    used in circuit boards. Straighten out between your fingers and cut to length of capsule. Stack
    the solder in tube, like pencil leads are packaged. I have found it much more effective on snake
    kills than 71/2 or 8 shot. I have experimented with the bigger dia.- but like shot the smaller stuff
    patterns better.

Boolit Master

I use the Speer .38 and .44 cal shot capsules. In .44 SPL I like to use #6 or #9 shot under a load of Unique. Carry two in the cylinder of my 3" CA Bulldog with roaming the swamps. My EDC gun is a Smith 442 with I also have some .38 shot capsules made up with #9 shot/Unique. However for squirrel hunting I use my TC Contender with in .357 Mag with a 10" Hot Shot barrel. It has a removable choke that stops the spin (from the rifle bore) and I can keep a Speer shot capsule within 6" at 15 yards!

Equipment

Might have some .357 cases in that box too. Need to make up some .41 Mag shotshells some day for my Smith 58

Results

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Banned
    I use brass nails stacked into speer caps

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blanket View Post
    I use brass nails stacked into speer caps
    That's just mean!

What do you all use to hold the capsules in place. I use Super glue and it dose not hold long.Because of the recoil of the gun.I shot them in my 357 BH.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I made some 38 shot shells using 3.5 Grains of Clays with ~80 grains of #7.5 shot for my Dad. He recently took out a squirrel that was raiding the bird feeder. I walked it off and the shot was at 15 feet. (I typically use #9, but Dad requested something for squirrels. I will try #12 someday.)

There is a great write up on this sight somewhere that tells you how to make shot cartridges using thick card stock as the wad and then to cover the top of the cartridge. I have used this method with both 44 and 38 shot shells. You can fit almost as much weight in the brass as the Speer cases. A lot easier and cheaper also.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I am glad those don't live around me here in the Great Mitten!
    Lead Melter
    MI

Boolit Bub

Smile

Using the 44 capsules for my CA Bulldog, with #9 shot and the data included with the capsules. I am not getting what I consider very good patterns at 15 feet so will try backing off the power charge a bit to see if that improves the pattern. Wish I had some smaller shot size, but that stuff is way out of my price range for a few loads!

If you're loading shot capsules for snakes, there's really no need to worry about their performance at 15'. Any snake that far away is of no threat whatsoever. Try at realistic range of 5-7' and I think you be surprised at how effective patterns are.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub

Smile

Yes, 5-7' for snakes, probably will not be useful for anything else. I guess the 15' was just listening to the exagerated advertising!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast