Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loading Speer shot shell capsules

Boolit Buddy
    My 44 Speer Shot Capsule load is 7.5 grains of Power Pistol and 7 1/2 shot. I wouldn't argue with anyone who uses smaller (or larger) shot, but this load is very effective on our Prairie Rattlesnakes --- I've killed a bunch of them. If a snake is trying to escape in tall grass, I like the larger shot for better penetration. I also like the 38 special capsules, which I usually load with # 8 for some reason. Also, very effective.

I once killed 24 Prairie Rattlers in a couple hours with a 4" Kit Gun and the old WW shot shells with 25 grains of shot. Worked fine.

I've also killed a bunch with a Ruger 22 Mag using CCI shot shells. The mags used to have 53 grains of #11 shot, now they use #12. Again, all these loads kill our size of Rattlers @ 6-8 feet.

You have a crimp these pretty well or they will back out and tie up the cylinder. I've never crimped one so hard that I broke it.

Boolit Buddy
    I use #10 shot with Speer Capsules in a 38 sp. S&W 4" barrel pistol and also 410 pistol loads. So far neither moccasin or rattler has so much as twitched after being shot at 6 to 8 ft. for the four I have shot so far.

I agree, it is amazing how the 38/357 shotshells perform in the 357 Contender with the choke. Actually the groups are almost too tight at close range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    ... and if anyone does this, I would be very interested in buying a pound or two. Failing in that would anyone be interested in buying a few pounds from me if I do a "group buy?"Froggie

YES, please!

Boolit Buddy
    This data sheet comes in every box of capsules I've ever purchased. I back the charges off a grn. or so and find that I get a tighter shot pattern. Dispatched a lot of snakes, voles and chipmunks with my .45 Colt. Even a few red squirrels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0349.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	184277

Where is #12 shot sold with cheap shipping if I have to buy 25 pounds of this stuff? I haven't been able to find it locally.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

IMHO, #12 is all but pointless in large cartridges from .38 Special on up. I use mostly #9 which I rob from shotgun shells. Buy a box of cheap 12 ga. #9 shot and you'll have enough for a long, long time.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Just got a sack of #9 just for this purpose,. Would sell @ $4.00/pound + shipping

Boolit Master

I bought a 5-pounds of # 12 probably 15 years ago, and I still have ½ of it. I think I do prefer # 9, but I have connected with # 12 at ranges up to 10 feet. I think that is the effective range of these shot shells no matter what size of shot is used. I shoot them in 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Magnum and 45 Colt. But, I probably don’t shoot a dozen a year anymore…

Some years back, I loaded some # 6 copper in a 45 capsule and was shooting it from a Blackhawk. On a calm day when there was a fresh snow and rabbit tracks could be seen, I have walked slowly where there were plenty of rabbit tracks and would find one sitting. I stayed at the 10-feet or less shots. Number 6 copper (I added some Grex buffer and tapped it into the voids, but it probably didn't do any good at all) was quite effective on rabbits—thin skin and pretty easily killed…

Good-luck…BCB

I bought a box of the 2-2-10# card shooter shot shells and cut them open and use that .seems to patern well

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123