Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loading Speer shot shell capsules

Boolit Master

Loading Speer shot shell capsules

I just bought some Speer shot shell capsules in .44 and .45 calibers. Plan on using them in my 44 mag and 45 Colt. I don't have any shot on hand so I bought a box of cheap 12 gauge ammo at Walmart for $6, size 8 shot as I couldn't find anything with #9.
    Anyone have some reloading data they could share for using the #8 shot?
    Thanks
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Shot size doesn't matter for load data as you cannot increase the weight of the filled capsule. The Speer boxes usually have powder data on the sides of the box.
    #9 is pretty large for shot shells in hand guns.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    #9 is pretty large for shot shells in hand guns.
    I didn't know they made and sold shot smaller than #9. What size would you recommend?
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    12-14 aka dust
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    I didn't know they made and sold shot smaller than #9. What size would you recommend?
    You can get shot down to #12, see here: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Mag...t/products/68/
    CCI loads most of their shotshells with #9, though you can get a 9mm loaded with #12. http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...specialty.aspx

Boolit Master
    If CCI uses #9 perhaps I should stick with the same size. Unless anyone has first hand knowledge smaller sizes would kill better
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

7 1/2, 8 or 9 shot sizes work well. I've used these sizes for years on small vermin and rattle snakes in several handgun calibres as well as the 45/70. Rifled barrels spin the shot charge and thus patterns open up pretty fast due to centrifugal force. Small shot (more pellets per given weight) is best to keep patterns dense enough to hit small things, but you also need a shot size that holds its energy at target. It's a compromise, but 8s or 9s do it pretty well and will kill snakes to jack rabbits at 15 feet or so when fired out of a handgun.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 07-25-2016 at 08:15 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Good info. If #9 will kill a jack rabbit at 10 feet it should kill a snake.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

I always keep a few bags of #9 and #8 handy as I shoot skeet with 410 and 28 gauges. The 8s and 9s work perfectly for that, so I'm never at a loss for those sizes when making up handgun shot loads.

As noted above, there should be loading info on the box, but if not, Bullseye or any other fast powder works pretty well.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I've had good results with #9 shot in both 44 special and 44 mag on paper plates, clay pigeons and pop cans out to 10 feet or so. Surprisingly my 2-1/2" Bulldog patterns better than my 4" 629.
    Last edited by Duster340; 07-25-2016 at 09:50 PM.

Boolit Man
    My strongly recommendation is #12 shot. I have used it for years and it is far more deadly on snakes than larger shot. When shot with #12, a snake just seems to take a last breath and then goes limp - no movement at all. With larger shot that is not the case and sometimes take a second or third shot to kill.

I have also found that the short barrel handguns shoot shot better that long barrel guns. My thought is that the longer barrel guns tend to spin the shot more causing the shot column to open up more. Also along that same line, I have found that light loads pattern better and kill better because of it. My load for my 38's(I know you were asking about 44's) is 2 grains of bullseye.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/814885/bpi-lead-shot-12-10-lb-bag

Last edited by Travelor; 07-26-2016 at 08:04 AM.

I have a pdf that might be what you are looking for. Send me an email address and I'll send it to ya.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

I hate to buy a full package of 500 wads just to make a couple doz snake shot in 45 ACP. Is there any place that sells samples? The BP shot column with no cushion is what I need.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I hate to buy a full package of 500 wads just to make a couple doz snake shot in 45 ACP. Is there any place that sells samples? The BP shot column with no cushion is what I need.
    Speer shot capsules are sold in boxes of 25. I bought mine from Midway.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    +1 on Travelor's recommendation for #12 shot. I have found that larger shot (yes, even #9) has less ability to penetrate a snake's skin. That is not the case with #12, it just zips right in and snakes go instantly still.

You might consider buying a 10 pound bag from Ballistic Products (believe this is the smallest bag they offer). Keep 2 pounds for yourself as it will keep you supplied for ever. Then offer the remaining shot in 1 pound bags on the S&S board, expect you will get more hits than you can supply.

Thin Man

Boolit Grand Master

I have been making and using shotshells in my handguns for many, many years. I often backpacked and canoed in snake country. After many experiments, my "go to" method is to use Speer Shot capsules loaded a bit on the light side (starting load) using #12 shot. As Travelor pointed out, #12 is MUCH more effective. The patterns are far denser simply because you are throwing LOTS of shot. The range is close (I have shredded snakes heads at 20 feet and killed feral cats at much greater distance).

#12 is IT!!

FWIW,
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    Here is my protocol for testing snake loads.
    1) Drive down rural dirt ( paved ones cause ricochets) roads till you see a snake.
    2) Approach the snake to about 10 feet.
    3) Shoot at snakes head.
    4) If snake dies right there the test is successful.

My snake blasting load is the CCI #12 shot shell in 22 cal. They work at 10 feet or less out of revolvers with 4 inch or less. I once shot a copperhead with a 38 snubby and a #9 shot capsule. It worked. I have tested the #12 22lr loads agianst 1/8 hardwood panelling. At 10 feet it goes through the paneling and has a uniform pattern out of my S&W 4" Kitgun about the size of a dinner plate. I consider 10 feet max range which is fine for me. I have thought of useing 410 ga shot cups in a 45 colt.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    +1 on Travelor's recommendation for #12 shot. I have found that larger shot (yes, even #9) has less ability to penetrate a snake's skin. That is not the case with #12, it just zips right in and snakes go instantly still.

You might consider buying a 10 pound bag from Ballistic Products (believe this is the smallest bag they offer). Keep 2 pounds for yourself as it will keep you supplied for ever. Then offer the remaining shot in 1 pound bags on the S&S board, expect you will get more hits than you can supply.

Thin Man
    ... and if anyone does this, I would be very interested in buying a pound or two. Failing in that would anyone be interested in buying a few pounds from me if I do a "group buy?"

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster340 View Post
    I've had good results with #9 shot in both 44 special and 44 mag on paper plates, clay pigeons and pop cans out to 10 feet or so. Surprisingly my 2-1/2" Bulldog patterns better than my 4" 629.
    Duster the reason is that less bbl length give less spin to the shot charge than the longer barrel. The more the bullet spins the better for stabilization, the more the shot charge spins the worse for patterns. If both guns were smoothbore the longer barrel would give better patterns, probably.

Banned

if you don't find data.
    the way I worked it was to fill the capsule with shot and weigh it.
    use boolit weight similar.
    and use it's data.
    subtract for the lower case volume to get your starting load.
    after I done it this way I found I was really close to the data I did have but didn't find until afterwards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast