Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: lube making

Boolit Bub

lube making

picked up a few toilet bowl rings today to make some lube, but got to thinking, how do I mold it to the cylinder shape with the hole in it if I am gonna do a batch bigger than one stick of lube? What do you guys do?

I made up a gallon of 50-50 Alox-Beeswax lube years ago, and have been melting it and pouring into my sizers as needed. The only down side, is not being able to use it 'till it cools.
    Morgan

Boolit Buddy

lube molds

I have seen pictures of ingenious moulds made by many people. Many have a rod that is placed in the center, to create the hollow stick.
    OeldeWolf
    who may yet be kicked out of the Republik of Kalifornia for owning too many firearms.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain, to eat only vegetables!

I do as morgan just remelt it and pour it in as needed. Cuts out the mess of using pvc pipe and wood dowels. Spend the time on pouring better Boolits.
    Do a search there was quite a bit on the how to for molds for boolit lube.
    Don

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    In one of MATTHEWS books he shows how to make a mould for jube sizers, I think? On the other hand I have been standing in the sun all day so I am probably on the wrong page.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Quote Originally Posted by OLPDon View Post
    I do as morgan just remelt it and pour it in as needed. Cuts out the mess of using pvc pipe and wood dowels. Spend the time on pouring better Boolits.
    Do a search there was quite a bit on the how to for molds for boolit lube.
    Don
    I think one could make the argument that there would be more time to cast bullets if the caster spent the small amount of time up front to fabricate molds and pour up a batch of lube, let it cool and store it.

You wouldn't need to melt lube every time you recharge your sizer and you wouldn't need to wait for said lube to solidify.

Just my 2 grains worth.
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms." (Federalist Paper #46) - James Madison

Heard on the street about our current POTUS: he is inebriated by the eloquence of his own verbosity...

In Remembrance

Using a length of 2X6 lumber and two hole saws, cut a series of double grooves the width if the inside diameter and outside diameter of a piece of pvc pipe to a depth of about 3/4 inch. Remove the wood between the two saw cuts, stand the pvc in the groove and stand a 1/4 in. steel rod in the pilot hole in the center. The pvc is the length of the lube desired, and the steel rod is long enough to provide a good hand grasp. Make as many of these molds as you desire, spacing them along the board. Pour the melted lube into the molds and when the lube is solid, but still warm, push it out with a wooden dowel. If you let it cool too long, heat the pvc with a blow drier. DALE

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the reccomendation on how to build the mold.

Moderator Emeritus

I pour my melted lube into small containers that held a chicken or beef gravy mix. They hold about 3-4 sticks worth and I label them with a date. I only have to melt that small amount to get my sizer filled. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Do the same as Dale but use already rolled paper quarter wrapper tubes. When finished, leave the wrappers on and put them in the can for later use
    Regards
    John

It has been mistakenly thought by many that toilet bowl rings are beeswax---aint the case. They are petroleum. Anyways I made felix lube and there is no need for a tube shape nor remelt---just glob it in. In fact I cooked my felix lube in a metal coffee can and I also store the lube in it--just put the lid on.

I have made a mold for my lube , however I find that I like to keep my lubesize where it does not run out of lube. So I melt up my lube and pour it into the lubesizer and let the cool metal cool down the lube , and continue lubing and sizing . I have found that using premade sticks is a PITA to me.

If you don't have to have to the hole in the middle. I use a 4" long piece of PVC sedual 40 3/4" dai. with a cap on the end. I have 4 of these and 16 oz of lube will fill 3 and part of the 4th up. Once its hard pull off the cap and push it threw with your finger. Fits great in my star sizer.

Hope this helps Warf
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."