Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Bullet Mould Used As Bullet Puller

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Bullet Mould Used As Bullet Puller

Someone was asking about the best way to pull bullets, earlier. The usual answers came up. After reading of people using a grip n pull, I started thinking about an old >>>>>MANGLED<<<<<Lee mould I have. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking it might make a good caliber specific bullet puller. I know this sounds a bit odd, and it is. I blame it on having nothing to and my ADD.

I hope he can see it now.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimkim; 07-29-2016 at 01:28 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

You won't be able to fit the mold to the portion inside the case, so it won't be a "perfect fit".

Sorry,

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, just like Fred said, you can only grip the part sticking out of the case...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Back to my original idea. I was thinking of making a set of caliber specific aluminium bullet puller block that fit my mould handles. Yes, I am that bored right now.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Bub
    I have one of those aluminum tong-type tools sold by Sinclair, I think (I got it used) but it's useless for anything but the most loosely held cast bullets. You just can't grip the bullet tight enough. I use an inertia-type puller exclusively.

In Remembrance

Well, you could go to a range and just shoot them up to get the boolets out of the cases?Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Yes, I am that bored right now.
    You could come on over and clean my garage!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

There must be something more important that you can exert the power of that obviously brilliant mind of yours. On a serious note I am not sure your idea will work, not enough surface to grip and no grooves to fit into. Would even be worse on spire point boolits. Maybe on long 30 cal boolits with a short ogive?
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I have made many caliber specific pullers for use in loading presses. From copies of the old super fast push thru puller to modified pliers. I have tken slip joint pliers and cut the jaws back to allow for new stock to be welded into them, This gives the flat jaws needed for the hole to be drilled and machined into. On smaller bullets with care 2 diffrent calibers can be set into 1 set of pliers ( .22 and .243, 264 and 257, 7mm and 308) I machine the jaws new insert to mmatch the original jaws and square on face. .010-.015 brass shim stock between the jaws and drill reqiuired hole the counter sink to leave a .020 - .030 wide jaw on the bottom edge. This gives a good grip and holds up to wear well. The slip joint pliers are cheap and provide a good grip

Boolit Grand Master
    I just use a set of 10" end nips. Works fine for anything that is long enough to poke through the top of the press. Pulls the red coated pretenders without harm; lead not so much, but if I pull boolits, I am planning to remelt them anyway.

For shorter cartridges, an extended shellholder or ram extension helps a lot.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

This is the person you don't want to lend your favorite mould to.

Sounds like something my brother-in-law would do. I once caught B-I-L trying to crack pecans with an old Lyman Tong Tool, he actually thought that it was a nut cracker ! Some folks worry me .

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I think it will be physically impossible to do. You will not get a good enough grip from a mold! And aluminum is waaaaaay too soft.

I use an RCBS collet style puller (made of steel) and it works GREAT with Pb boolits - even though the directions say not. Most profiles pull easily.

And I can easily make odd-sized collets for it. But my local stores carry tons of stuff like that on the shelves. I now have at least 9 collets.

Only costs a little more to fly 1st class.

Boolit Master
    I guess the word "mangled" from the original post, wasn't clear enough.

Last edited by jimkim; 07-29-2016 at 01:27 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Not seeing how you expect this to work?

The bullet would have to be a larger diameter than the mold, but not by much or it won't fit at all. You still can only grab the portion of the bullet that is outside the case.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    I guess the word "mangled" from the original post, wasn't clear enough.

"Mangled" has nothing to do with it working/not working. You will be trying to grab the nose profile diameter with the base diameter of the mold. "Not gonna do it". If you are that interested in pulling Pb boolits, use the el-cheeepo method of: your press, a washer, and a pair of ViceGrip pliers. Totally ruins the nose profile, but you get to keep the power, primer and case.

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    "Mangled" has nothing to do with it working/not working. You will be trying to grab the nose profile diameter with the base diameter of the mold. "Not gonna do it". If you are that interested in pulling Pb boolits, use the el-cheeepo method of: your press, a washer, and a pair of ViceGrip pliers. Totally ruins the nose profile, but you get to keep the power, primer and case.

banger
    Sorry, that wasn't directed at you. I've been using a multitool or needle nose pliers for years now. They work very well. I guess I could make a cherry from a reamer or something and cut a new cavity. I have a buddy with a tool and cutter grinder. So there are other possibilities.

Boolit Master

I raise it up, lightly grasp the bullet, and lower the ram. Because of the shape of the pliers, it self tightens and pulls the bullet. All I have to do is remember to break the tension with my seater. I only do this with J-words. With cast, I use dikes cutters.

Boolit Grand Master
    Works for me!