Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: ANeat Swage press and Dave Corbin "H" dies

Boolit Buddy

ANeat Swage press and Dave Corbin "H" dies

Did anyone successfully make the big press, but set it up to use "H" dies?

If so, other than the threaded space within the Ram to accept the die, what else would need to change from the original plans?

Boolit Mold
    The swage press I'm building currently is just that. I upsized the ram to 2 inch diameter and the guide rods as well (because I got them for free so I went with what I had) other than making the whole thing wider to accommodate the thick rods and ram I haven't changed anything else. I figure I'll give her a go as is and if there is visible stress/warpage I will add material where needed

To sum up I made it wider to space the rods comfortably. The spacing on the cam pins is a little further from the toggle to allow for more swing space of the base of the ram. And the ram is going to have a chamfer cut into it to clear the toggleft bar better. I also added bearinga to the toggle Arms to give a smoother operation.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin8888 View Post
    The swage press I'm building currently is just that. I upsized the ram to 2 inch diameter and the guide rods as well (because I got them for free so I went with what I had) other than making the whole thing wider to accommodate the thick rods and ram I haven't changed anything else. I figure I'll give her a go as is and if there is visible stress/warpage I will add material where needed

To sum up I made it wider to space the rods comfortably. The spacing on the cam pins is a little further from the toggle to allow for more swing space of the base of the ram. And the ram is going to have a chamfer cut into it to clear the toggleft bar better. I also added bearinga to the toggle Arms to give a smoother operation.
    Do you know what diameter a Mega Mite ram is?

I'm wondering if the 1.5" in the Aneat press will be sufficient?

What differences between wallet hill and H dies are there? I know 7/8 vs 1" threads. Are the pins different in length?

Boolit Master

I just miked the ram on my Mega-Mite and it is 1.4995. I use it with my "H" dies, that's what I bought it for. The largest bullet I have swaged with it is .308. It's effortless. I use the Hydra-Swage for the 50 BMG so I havn't made the 50s on the Mega-Mite. I will use the Mega-Mite with the 45 ACP "H" dies. Using hydraulics on those would be a waste.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I just miked the ram on my Mega-Mite and it is 1.4995. I use it with my "H" dies, that's what I bought it for. The largest bullet I have swaged with it is .308. It's effortless. I use the Hydra-Swage for the 50 BMG so I havn't made the 50s on the Mega-Mite. I will use the Mega-Mite with the 45 ACP "H" dies. Using hydraulics on those would be a waste.

Bob

How is long did it take you to get your mega-mite press?

Boolit Mold
    As far as I know they are quite different but I don't have the link on hand that I found the specs for them nor do I have my cad drawing of the ram for the H dies... I think the ejector pin body is .875" and 5ish inches long pocket it rides in... but someone who owns some would be a better person to ask (I will only ever make mine so it doesn't really concern me if I have out of spec H dies as long as they are in spec for my press). The 2" ram is definitely oversize I just happened to have it on hand so it was the cheap option.

Boolit Master

I didn't order the Mega-Mite from Dave. I got it from a private party so there was no wait time.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post

Bob
    Bob,

I sure appreciate the info.

Could you please measure a few more dimensions on the ram?

Here is the original print for the Aneat press.

Anything you can provide would be most appreciated.

Boolit Master

I'll try to provide measurements from my ram that correspond with those in the print you provided. I have all the materials to build two of ANeat's presses but havn't had the balls to start building it. It will stretch the capacity of the 10x24 Logan & the Grizzly 1006 mill. Also in my old age I find my attentIon span seems to have diminished and it is harder to start big projects. If I ever get started it will be good for me. This winter would be a good time to start. The water will be too hard to launch the boat and duck season will be over.

Bob