Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best all-round 44 mag boolit/load

Boolit Master
    Our favorite powder puff load is a 200 gr RNFP over 5.5 of 700x.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Gas checks help if you are shooting a soft alloy and soft lube. This would make a really good hunting boolit when you can scratch it with a thumbnail, this is exactly the purpose of a gas check. I find they keep the bore cleaner.
    I agree also putting on gas checks is alot easier than making a
    soft point(nose)boolit
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Bub
    I'm having good results with a 240gr RNFP over 9.3gr of Bullseye and a magnum primer. The velocity should be around 1000 FPS or so, and I'm getting 1 hole groups at 10 yards out of my S&W 629-6 with a 6" barrel. It's a pleasant round to shoot.

Boolit Master
    RANCH DOG 432 265 GC or NOE lube groove clone plain base. LYMAN 429640 GC or MIHEC 434640 plain base. 5 to 7.5 grains of 231 or TITEGROUP in 44 magnum ORIGINAL SIZE VAQUEROS or MARLIN COWBOY RIFLES.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Iowa View Post
    Our favorite powder puff load is a 200 gr RNFP over 5.5 of 700x.
    +1 on this. My load for plinking with the 200gr in an 1895 is 5.8 of 700X.
    For the heavier Keiths in my Blackhawk and Model 29 is 8.2 of 700X or 22.0 of 296/H110
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have 5, .44 Magnums and each has it's favorite load. My three revolvers will shoot 240 gr, LRNFP pretty good but one prefers WC820 and one likes Blue Dot. I burn a lot of Unique, Universal and 2400 in my magnums, 99% with cast lead bullets (a lot of Ranch Dog design 240 and 265 gr, LRNFP)

Perhaps it was just my 629, but I've also read this, after a steady diet of heavy loads the revolver can "shoot loose". My particular gun was sent back to the factory to have the barrel "clocked". I had a case of "Magnumitis" and fired many, many full magnum loads it it (mebbe 1 1/2 years), and noticed my barrel had turned to the right, from the muzzle,mebbe 3-4 degrees. Factory repair tech mentioned in the repair report it can happen with continued use of heavy loads. My 629 now sees limited "Magnum" use, but a lot of low to medium loads with 250 gr LSWC and Universal...
    I'm not quite sure the barrel rotation is limited to Smith & Wesson.

Had my barrel clocked right after I bought it (came from the factory clocked wrong). Thought all was well, and proceeded to run fairly hot loads thru it.

I recently purchased a fiber optic sight for the gun, and mounted it. Immediately noticed I was shooting to the right constantly. Took a close look, and the dam barrel is AGAIN clocked wrong. Looking from the muzzle, it's rotated to the right about a few degrees. It had appeared perfect when I got it back from Ruger (although the new clocking issue didn't show up until I put the new taller sight on) The gun has been shooting to the right though during the entire time I've owned it, but not as bad as it now does with the taller sight, which magnifies the error in the clocking due to its height.

Oh yeah.........the gun......Ruger Super Redhawk

I hope they actually did replace the barrel when I sent it in, and not just screw it out a bit. Didn't check the gap between the forcing cone, and cylinder when it went out, or when it got back. Should have. Just turning the barrel would have made for a different gap than required. Heck, oughta check where the gap is now come to think of it.

I'm also not sure all vendors sell first rate goods. About 70% of my purchases have been from online dealers, the rest from an actual bricks and mortar store. Have never had an issue with the store bought guns. Have had issues with the online purchases. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if a lot of the online merchants are peddling 2nd's.