Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Reloading 22 Long Rifle RimFire

Reloading 22 Long Rifle RimFire

Did not know where to place this; so we will try under rimfire. About 10 years back I pick-up thousands of 22LR primed cases along with 40 grain pure lead bullets. All the primed cases are headstamped with an "E" ..... These were thrown in as part of a trade I made. Don't really have a use for them and was wondering it anyone out there actually reloads 22LR RF???

Last edited by captain-03; 07-24-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Banned
    I reload them and I would be very excited to be able to purchase some cases from you.

Attachment 172840

This is a collet crimping die and a bullet that I crimped with it. I usually do not crimp them this deep. This was for show.
    Last edited by Traffer; 07-24-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

The guys that load BP would love them. Awhile back some folks here were looking for some.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ck-Powder-22-s

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...w-to-Make-Them

Banned

Boolit Master
    Unless by coincidence, that is the Eley headstamp from the UK. Ironically I have several pounds of Winchester-Western cases. They are longer than standard LR but of LR diameter, so my guess is that they were from a discontinued line of shotshells.

I bought them from a US eBay seller for making bullet jackets, since Dave Corbin says the only obstacle to accuracy at moderate .22 centrefire velocities is the firing-pin indentation in fired cases. The seller pledged his word that they had been deprimed by boiling, but every one I have tried on a stove hotplate has gone off with a sharp crack. Either he spoke with forked tongue, which is not unknown on eBay, or boiling isn't reliable. I would never try swaging without making sure they reliably passed the hotplate test.

The crimp is probably the main factor in making some commercial rimfire ammunition more accurate than others, and none of them equal to really good centrefires. The .22 rimfires started out uncrimped, and if I wanted to use them in a single shot rifle, that is what I would try. Best of all would be if someone made a barrel blank of the right diameter for a non-heel bullet, but they don't unless you want to neck down to a smaller bore.

Later tonight I will see how many I have ... I know there are thousands ... will weight out a pound of them and go from there .... Give me a day or two.

Also, thanks for the links ... the BP option is very interesting!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    Unless by coincidence, that is the Eley headstamp from the UK. Ironically I have several pounds of Winchester-Western cases. They are longer than standard LR but of LR diameter, so my guess is that they were from a discontinued line of shotshells.

I bought them from a US eBay seller for making bullet jackets, since Dave Corbin says the only obstacle to accuracy at moderate .22 centrefire velocities is the firing-pin indentation in fired cases. The seller pledged his word that they had been deprimed by boiling, but every one I have tried on a stove hotplate has gone off with a sharp crack. Either he spoke with forked tongue, which is not unknown on eBay, or boiling isn't reliable. I would never try swaging without making sure they reliably passed the hotplate test.

The crimp is probably the main factor in making some commercial rimfire ammunition more accurate than others, and none of them equal to really good centrefires. The .22 rimfires started out uncrimped, and if I wanted to use them in a single shot rifle, that is what I would try. Best of all would be if someone made a barrel blank of the right diameter for a non-heel bullet, but they don't unless you want to neck down to a smaller bore.
    When I reload them, I can get the primer dent out to the point that it will accept primer behind and be usable again. It is not an easy process. I have a sizing die and a punch the exact size as the inside of the sell. I put 7 drops of water in the shell when it is in the sizing die and place the punch in it about 1/3 way in the case and pop it with a hammer. the hydraulic action resizes the case (even resizes the inner lip of the head if you) want and pushes the dent out somewhat. Depending on how deep the dent is and what kind of firing pin made it, the dent may be quite gone when done. But as you can imagine this is a lot of work for a spent 22 casing. Which is why I am very anxious to get pre primed new cases.