WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Any "hot" light supersonic cast loads for .300blk?

Boolit Bub

Any "hot" light supersonic cast loads for .300blk?

I have a Rem 700 AAC .300blk that I use for hunting whitetail with a 125gr hornady SST over 19gr lil gun at 2,250fps. It is devastating on deer and shoots sub MOA. Thing is this gun is so darned fun to shoot I would like to develop a cheap to shoot cast load for target practice that will shoot to the same POI as my hunting loads.

Has anyone sucessfully pushed a 115-130ish grain GC'd cast boolit out of a .300blk anywhere near this velocity? And if so what would be a good mold? All I have now are heavy .30 cal molds for subby's that I shoot out of my .300blk handi rifle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	700.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	172821
    Last edited by alping45; 07-23-2016 at 08:29 PM.

I have not tried little gun powder - I'm using 5744 and 1680
    I'm using 155 Ed Harris design mainly for plinking
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...dius-gas-check
    Lee .312-155-2R

- similar designs sold by NOE
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/images/..._gr_Sketch.Jpg
    You can get similar from NEI and others.

I have a lighter NOE mold

but the Harris 155 grn design works so well in most guns tried I just don't bother casting the lighter one.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    I like the looks of that 129gr NOE spitzer, would you consider selling it so I can put it to use lol?

Banned

measure out your neck and throat area in that rifle.
    in my AAC I have to either trim necks or use thinner brass, LC cases and 310 cast will either not chamber nor release the boolit safely.
    you might get away with 309 diameter and some .0010-.0011 thick brass.
    I shoot the rcbs 30-165 silhouette boolit on top of 9.5grs of AA#-9 the load goes together easily and shoots very well at about 1500 fps.
    other molds shoot pretty well also but the above was a try and done deal so I just stick with it.

I save the LC brass for the 110gr Nosler varmageddon's and Horn. V-max's the little mammals around here hate to see coming their direction.
    and for the wife's eat pretty much anything Ruger American.

I have shot the Lee 309-113 FN to the velocity listed. I will look in my notes and post.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    measure out your neck and throat area in that rifle.
    in my AAC I have to either trim necks or use thinner brass, LC cases and 310 cast will either not chamber nor release the boolit safely.
    you might get away with 309 diameter and some .0010-.0011 thick brass.
    I shoot the rcbs 30-165 silhouette boolit on top of 9.5grs of AA#-9 the load goes together easily and shoots very well at about 1500 fps.
    other molds shoot pretty well also but the above was a try and done deal so I just stick with it.

I save the LC brass for the 110gr Nosler varmageddon's and Horn. V-max's the little mammals around here hate to see coming their direction.
    and for the wife's eat pretty much anything Ruger American.
    I bought 300 Team Never Quit brand 300BLK brass and like the quality. I load the Lee 155 sized to .311" in my RAR with no issue. 15gr of IMR4227 shoots pretty well
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned

I have some of the never quit stuff sitting here too, it's on par with SSA brass but cheaper it reminds me of the pro-grade brass but a little tougher to work with.
    I'd guess it has a bit more Zinc in the brass mixture.
    anyway once I get it all champhered and such it does pretty well.
    4227 is turning out to be a pretty versatile powder in the little round.

I have done some initial testing in the Ruger with the 311359 which comes in at @120grs checked and lubed.
    it was showing some promise for velocity and accuracy, but the wife burned them up shooting ground squirrels.

if you just want to match your poi on target a slower heavier bullet might just do that for you.

I think I'm going to give SR4759 a try with the Lee 155. I have LOTS of it laying around and don't use too much of it in other calibers. It might be a good place to burn some up.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

31-142C PB @ 2100 fps, PCd it's 145. 1:10 BO 18" carbine. ~1 1/2 MOA @ 100 - best I can do so far.
    Whatever!

Artful care to share your 5744 load? I have been trying to find such a load without much luck.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    31-142C PB @ 2100 fps, PCd it's 145. 1:10 BO 18" carbine. ~1 1/2 MOA @ 100 - best I can do so far.
    Popper. What is your load for this boolit?

Boolit Bub
    Well I gave the lee 312 155 2r a try, got em doing about 2000fps with the lil gun, have only shot about a dozen rounds offhand through the chrony and so far they seem to be shooting to the same POI or very close to my hunting loads. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    I have shot the Lee 309-113 FN to the velocity listed. I will look in my notes and post.

LEE 309-113 FN; 19.0 gr H-110 --- COL 1.625" -- Velocity of (4) shots. 2346,2335,2373,2351 ft/s
    group size not written in notes; I believe these grouped about 2- to 2-1/2" at 75 yds (REM M SEVEN AAC 1:7")
    Last edited by MarkP; 08-13-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Velocity seems pretty impressive MarkP, any issues with leading? Seems like it would be a fun one to try but I think my 700AAC would have issues cycling them with the short, flat nose. How well do they run through your model 7?

Quote Originally Posted by alping45 View Post
    Well I gave the lee 312 155 2r a try, got em doing about 2000fps with the lil gun, have only shot about a dozen rounds offhand through the chrony and so far they seem to be shooting to the same POI or very close to my hunting loads. Cool.
    told you - that Harris design is a tough one to beat
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Powder coating does allow you to shoot cast much faster. Its not in the books of course, the data to go with it. But I have had good luck w min jacketed data w a same weight cast.