Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with a vintge Winchester

Boolit Grand Master

Hunting with a vintge Winchester

In celebration of Winchester's 150th anniversary (among other reasons) I'm seriously considering taking an older Winchester hunting this fall. Been hunting with CB's almost exclusively for years so that part of the equation is no problem, actually a given. I'd like to field a 100 yr (or so) old specimen, I figure it's been bringing home game for generations, it should work for me if I do my part.
    Anyone else hunting with vintage rifles?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned
    i have a win m94 made in the early '70's, so it doesn't count. but my 1898 springfield armory"(bubbasized) in 30-40 krag does. i use a 165gr ranch dog over a 25.5gr charge of h4198 and it will take a deer down out to 150 yards.

its not a winchester, but the krag should suffice.

Boolit Master
    I hunt quite often with a '95 Winchester in .303 British ( I know, I know, it's not a SS), using cast bullets of course!

Boolit Grand Master

"ss"?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Several years ago, I hunted everything using only pre WW2 firearms (well except a flint gun, but there in spirit). Win M69 squirrel rifle, Rem M141 for deer and a 1914 vintage M12 16ga for the feathered eatables I like your suggestion, So if I substitute my BigBore94 for the deers I could make it a Winchester year in celebration! Probably won't be exclusive because I have a M31 Remington that needs to get out some and a 41 special that needs initiation. But shall be Winchesters first this year, good idea TXGunNut!!!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Rolling blocks no. 1&2, m1 garand, Winchester 52, 1873 Springfield to name a few.
    Modern plastic guns have no appeal to me.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

I have always used a vintage rifle on last day of season, or to fill doe tags. Don't count rifles like
    Rem 8, 81, 14, 141 or Sav 99s, those are my main deer guns anyway. Use guns like Rem RB or
    Trapdoor. Most memorable was little spike, shot with Win 92 in 25/20. Hunting buddies did not
    want me to use it, not enough gun according to them. Head shot with 65 cast, dropped it as well
    as anything you could have shot it with. 25/20 not the best deer gun, but my great uncles killed
    many deer with same rifle, but they were "stump hunters" after meat in depression southern
    WVa. They made their ammo with a Combo tool, mold & loader.

Boolit Master
    My Krag was made in 1898. It pushes the 311041 to about 1800 very easly and accurately. It kills deer very well.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Every hunting rifle I own is "vintage". The newest is a Winchester Model '07 .351 from 1953.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm, Stevens 44, Marlin 94 made near a century ago. A flintlock and an 1890 Winchester.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    I've used several Pre 64 Model 70's to hunt but not an old Winchester lever . Have however used a handful of Pre 1916 Marlins of which two or three were Pre 1900 . Killed deer with most of them as well . I do happen to have a circa 1905 Winchester 1894TD in 30 WCF but it's a jacketed only rifle since the bore is a bit to rough for cast .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Vendor Sponsor
    I have a 1898 issue Winchester 94 in 30 WCF. The bore is dark but it will still shoot cast quite well. I haven't hunted with it....yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have always used a vintage rifle on last day of season, or to fill doe tags. Don't count rifles like
    Rem 8, 81, 14, 141 or Sav 99s, those are my main deer guns anyway. Use guns like Rem RB or
    Trapdoor. Most memorable was little spike, shot with Win 92 in 25/20. Hunting buddies did not
    want me to use it, not enough gun according to them. Head shot with 65 cast, dropped it as well
    as anything you could have shot it with. 25/20 not the best deer gun, but my great uncles killed
    many deer with same rifle, but they were "stump hunters" after meat in depression southern
    WVa. They made their ammo with a Combo tool, mold & loader.
    ......Wow That is Cool!!! I should dust off an oldie & try that myself this year...Thanks for sharing Mike in Ct

Boolit Master
    Sure would love to see some pics.

Other than WW II arms I never had much interest in older firearms until I became interested in traditional muzzleloaders.

Boolit Grand Master
    Already have the tag drawn & in hand, will be hunting my great-grandfather's Win 1873 in 44/40 WCF this year for the coyote-sized muleys and blacktails in our local mountains. The load will include a BruceB Softpoint SAECO #446, running about 1250 FPS. The carbine was built in 1897. I have hunted with it occasionally in these same mountains since I got it re-started on about its 100th birthday, but this year it will predominate in the field as primary tool. Of all the game rifles I own, only my varminters have taken more critters than this example has. For certain, it has far more deer to its credit than any rifle I own or ever owned.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Man
    Not a rifle, but I do bird hunt with a 1911 Ansley H. Fox side by side. It's a 30" "A" grade choked .012 on the right and .017 on the left. Not only does it do flawless work on feathered critters but it does quite well on clay targets. When I hunt with it I feed it 1950's vintage paper shells. Those spent papers have the best aroma known to man!

Banned

Olest have used successfully is a 1940s vintage Marlin in .32 Special. I've used a couple of others that were early 1950s (another Marlin and a Savage 99).

I did sit out a few times with a 1923 Savage Model 1920 and have also done it with a 1907 Winchester in .351, but Bambi did not cooperate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D. Heppner View Post
    When I hunt with it I feed it 1950's vintage paper shells. Those spent papers have the best aroma known to man!
    Just READING this evoked memories of days afield as a boy with my Dad!

Steaks on the grill, or fresh cinnamon rolls are a pretty close 2nd place, but I totally get your drift. (Where da heck you git paper hulls, fiber wad columns, or card wads these days? That's like finding silkworm gut for fly fishing leaders)
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

1937 mosin has taken deer.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    I have been into vintage for the last 20 years. I occasionally take a newish one but I love the early deer rifles. My oldest is a 99 savage 303 made in 1907. It has a old scope(no adjustment) and mounts are adjustable. It is vary accurate.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast