Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a shooting table/bench

Boolit Master

Building a shooting table/bench

Sometime in September after it starts to cool down I plan on building a table/bench to shoot from. It has to be able to accommodate both left and right handed shooters.
    Any good tips? Plan on using pressure treated wood because it will be exposed to the elements 24/7.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Does it need to be portable semi portable or once set in plce it lives there forever? Will it be on concrete gravel or dirt? Under a cover or completely in the open. All of these make a diffrence in materials and or construction of the bench. Another thing is to consider is skills and available tools for the project. I have shot off the true concrete benches. A tee laid up of footer blocks on edge and a 4" thick concrete top and they are very solid and stable, better if on a concrete pad due to weight. Heavy wood benches can be decent also and may be better if on gravel or dirt due to lighter weightnot sinking as fast. Light wood benches can be moved easily but arnt as stable or solid. Steel frames is desighned good are solid and stable but require the original paint job to stop rust.

Boolit Master
    CBRick and I, built this last Winter. T- shaped table accommodates both RH & LH shooters. Pressure treated lumber and cinder block column legs.

Attachment 172781

Since this picture was taken, four cement 18" x 18" blocks were place on each side to level the site for portable seating and gravel spread to keep the vegetation in check.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Snowwolfe,

I'll be back home this afternoon. I have a heavy duty bench plan that I have built several of.

Last one I built out of leftovers. Ambidextrous.

I'll post later.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    My wife wants her picnic table back in the spring , so I shoot handguns in the summer .

Boolit Master
    The bench will stay in place and not be covered. I do plan on using a three leg design and digging holes under each leg and filling the holes with redimix.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Here's what the finished bench looks like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040821.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	172792

Winelover

Boolit Master

my local Range uses the same design,but there top is also poured out of concrete,which I really don't like because they are rough surfaces,but it well be there many years after I'm gone. I made my bench out of treated 2x6" not cheap but it only took a few hours to build and I can move it if necessary by pulling with a lawnmower or ATV
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-23-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Moderator Emeritus

I took a 1-1/4 piece of scrap plywood....put a curve on one end and ran a piece of 2x2 down the middle of the bottom. I stained the plywood and then blued and screwed the 2x2 down the long part of the plywood in the center line. I then clamp the 2x2 in vise portion of a black and decker portable workmate.....the curve allows your belly to fit and the plywood extends about 6" in the front and back of the workmate....incredible stable and easy to move.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I use wooden cable spools I get free from work. I shoot right handed and when using the spools I shoot from about the 7 / 7:30 position, left handed shooters could shoot from 4:30 / 5:00 position. The axis of the rifle is parallel to a line between 12:00 & 6:00 cheated to the right. What is nice about the spools is you can roll to a different location fairly easily. The mice really chew the lower portions of wood.

The design above (winelover's) would be better than the above mentioned spool in terms of fit and comfort.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    Here's what the finished bench looks like.

Name:	P1040821.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	172792

Winelover
    Did on similar out of concrete.
    Poured a slab
    used blocks just like yours then poured a top in a simple 1/4" plywood form and 2x4s from the slab form
    3 people picked it up and set it on the blocks .. Been there for about 10 years now and still looks like new ..
    Cost was less than $150.00 total
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Good job on the bench. Especially for not mounting the seat to the bench.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn

Name:	DSCF2483.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	172818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2479.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	172819

this my portable bench top is made from a solid core door and a portable vice jaws.
    Its very stable and makes a solid platform for shooting from

I built mine for right/left hand shooters and the seat is adjustable for height and in and out feet are on skids so it won't sink in the ground and everything except the top is steel so when the wood rots you just drop more in. We now have a cover over it so might be awhile before it needs new decking but next time will be with composite deck boards, so that will be the last time.

Boolit Buddy
    Send me a message and I will email you a PDFs plan of a bench I built that can easily be modified to serve both right and left handed shooter....

Boolit Master

Name:	20160724_195437.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	172907

This bench is very stable. You can use nails or deck screws for the top.

bench_0001.pdf

Last edited by 762 shooter; 07-24-2016 at 07:59 PM.
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

I will take a picture of mine and post it. Have a buddy who has auto repair business. We formed
    up tubular frame on his exhaust pipe bender. Top and seat made from Trex, decking material.
    Tubular frame spray painted with engine paint. Trex fastened to tubular frame with tapered head
    spanner bolts & nuts that are used for mechanical splices in heavy conveyor belts. Two guys can
    lift into pick up, so semi portable. Has been sitting out in weather in Ohio for 10yrs. We made second one, all the same except we used 5/4" pressure treated deck boards in place of Trex.

This is one a friend gave to me. He made a plywood form and put in female fittings with the wire and then filled the form with concrete. I keep it at the house because it doesn't take up much space once you unthread the legs and easy to move with a regular dolly.

This was the pattern I built mine on although I just made it single sided for right handed shooters

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post

Name:	20160724_195437.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	172907

This bench is very stable. You can use nails or deck screws for the top.

bench_0001.pdf

My gun club uses very similar benches. I place high value on shooting benches with a lot of real estate on the top! Lots of space comes in mighty handy. They're a mother to move around though. Wish I had building skillz, we need a couple dozen new ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast