Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: lyman 313492 wadcutter

Boolit Buddy

lyman 313492 wadcutter

hi guys , I recently bought a used mould , a lyman .32 wadcutter nr 313492 but I cant seem to find reloaddata for this little bullet . got three lyman reloadbooks but they don't mention this type.
    after using the searchmode I now understand that this bullet is a noseriding type , and particular good for revolverloads
    and heavely reduced rifle loads.
    I would like to use this bullet for my hammerli 280 match pistol , were the bullet would be flush with the casemouth .
    should i get another mould more suited for my needs or will this 313492 type do .
    currently i am shooting with the H&N high speed HBWC , with a powdercharge of 1.7 gr bullseye powder , its a very accurate load , but i would like to do some casting in the near future for this caliber.

greetings from Holland !

Boolit Master

Mihec and Arsenal made an example of a flush mouth wadcutter. I have a Arsenal example and it works very well. I doubt the 313492 would be a good choice as a flush wadcutter. In my defense, I've never considered using a type III wadcutter in that capacity.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    thanks jeff ,
    I also have some doubts with this design flush seated , mihec and arsenal are unknown to me .
    over here in Holland choice is limited , not many casters thus a little market for the mould makers , so I am somewhat limited to
    saeco , lyman , rcbs and lee . my maker of choice would be lyman , but I don't think they make this kind of projectile .
    I can order the rcbs 32-98-wc or the saeco #323 , the saeco would be 1.6x the price of the rcbs , and I don't know if lyman handles would fit . I think these would be better choices?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm a big fan of the 313492 !

Boolit Master

Mihec is located in Slovenia. Generally produces limited runs of custom moulds, but he does have a web sight and keeps a small inventory of different moulds on hand. http://mp-molds.com/index.php/e-shop...312-hbwc-4-cav
    Looks like he has this on hand.
    Arsenal is another custom maker, has a websight and a decent variety of products. He does currently have the mould in stock that I previously mentioned.
    http://arsenalmolds.com/
    Another excellent maker is Accurate Molds. Tom (Owner) will make you anything you like with some restrictions (dimensional) and is super fast. http://www.accuratemolds.com/
    All these guys do exceptional work and to the best of my knowledge, will happily ship to Holland.
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; 07-23-2016 at 05:06 AM.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman didn't make that 313492 very long compared to many of their other designs, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a load they recommended for it, even though I've looked through most of the Lyman Manuals of that era. I do know that it makes a fine bullet to use in revolvers, but I'm not sure whether there would be a problem with overall length in you magazine fed semi-auto even if you seated the bullet all the way down on the front band. That little nose might get in the way regardless. If you can get the HBWC from Mihec, I think you will be a lot better off, and since he ships from his native Slovenia to the US, I'm guessing he should be able to get you one into Holland as well. Good luck!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the info ,
    I will look in to a new mould and not continue with this one....
    nice ben... excellent bullet for your purpose , real nice looking to !

Boolit Grand Master
    edwin41, have you tried the bullet in a dummy round or two to see whether the OAL will work in your magazine and feed into your chamber? If you push the bullet all the way in until the case mouth and the front of the front band are equal then taper crimp, you may actually have a chance at making it work. I shoot that bullet in the 32 S&W with a minimal load around 2 grains of Bullseye™ plus or minus a couple of tenths... pushed all the way in like that, your case's "engine room" gets small, so I would start with a low end charge and see what it takes to function your gun. The whole question is whether the little nose bump will make the round too long to feed through your mag. If you already have the mould in hand, there is certainly no reason not to at least try it. Let us know how it does for you either way.

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    My only experience with that boolit is in 32 S&W Long revolvers, but I have loaded similar 38 special rounds for the Smith and Wesson 52. Unless you try a couple,I don't believe you can be sure. I think that the powder charge you currently are using would be about right to start, maybe going up a tenth or two as needed to assure reliable function.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    been busy with a lot of other things , so casting is a little left behind.
    I might try to load some of these bullets to see of they will feed , another option would be to open up the mould at the nose portion to the biggest diameter so they could be seated like normal wadcutters .
    I contacted mihec for an offer on a hollowbase wadcutter , thanks jeff for the link .

That's a good looking boolit!
    The 1973 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook shows the mold design but lists no data for .32 S&W Long powder charges.
    Seating flush, are you planning on minute amounts of powder for starting loads? Makes me think about making .32 ACP hunting loads with #313249. Had to weigh each charge because the powder throws could not supply a small enough % deviation.
    And had to turn off the ceiling fan to accurately weigh the charges!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    That's a good looking boolit!
    The 1973 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook shows the mold design but lists no data for .32 S&W Long powder charges.
    Seating flush, are you planning on minute amounts of powder for starting loads? Makes me think about making .32 ACP hunting loads with #313249. Had to weigh each charge because the powder throws could not supply a small enough % deviation.
    And had to turn off the ceiling fan to accurately weigh the charges!
    Didn't know you hunted grasshoppers!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Should be just the ticket for bushy-tailed tree rats. Also probably suitable for the cotton-tailed bunnies here in VA, Wayne.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Don't give up on this design. I stumbled onto a 38 cal. version of this design , Lyman 358432 the 160 grain version, it has proven to be the most accurate bullet in my 38's and 357 mag. in target loads, so much so, that I ordered an NOE with more cavities for faster production. All of my revolvers prefer this particular boolit.. In 38 special this boolit over 2.8 grains of Bullseye , put 15 shots into one ragged hole 1 1/4" across at 25 yards....I was amazed at this.
    So give that design a good work out , it might be just the ticket. I don't see any reason it can't be seated flush , with just that little button nose poking out , it should work fine.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Heh, it was a Bernardelli Model 60, 6" barrel with adjustable sights.
    Too bad they don't make 'em like that any more!

Boolit Buddy
    so , I ordered a bulletmould from MIHEC , the 4 cavity hbwc .
    nice guy to do business with , quick response at my emails plus his prices seem to be fair.

Boolit Master
    I was wondering if you got the mould yet, and if you had a chance to try it out?
    I have been looking for a 30-31 cal wadcutter such as this for some time.

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered a HBWC wadcutter mould from MIHEC .
    contact went easy , payment through paypal and a very fast shipping from MIHEC , great guy to do business with.
    last Friday the mould came in through mail , its the best mould I ever seen , craftsmanship is excellent !
    I also ordered the MIHEC handles for this 4-cavity mould , and these are also of high quality.
    with the mould came two sets of pins , so I could cast the hollow base or solid wadcutter , that's a very nice feature of this mould.
    if I am ever in need of a new mould MIHEC would be my choice...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edwin41 View Post
    I ordered a HBWC wadcutter mould from MIHEC .
    contact went easy , payment through paypal and a very fast shipping from MIHEC , great guy to do business with.
    last Friday the mould came in through mail , its the best mould I ever seen , craftsmanship is excellent !
    I also ordered the MIHEC handles for this 4-cavity mould , and these are also of high quality.
    with the mould came two sets of pins , so I could cast the hollow base or solid wadcutter , that's a very nice feature of this mould.
    if I am ever in need of a new mould MIHEC would be my choice...
    I've collected Ideal and Lyman moulds for years, but if I were looking for a mould to start using heavily I would most probably look to Mihec or NOE, as both offer brass and high grade aluminum moulds of extremely high quality and to tight QC specs. Either of them will give you dependably and predictably fine, consistent bulllets.

Froggie