RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ruger SBH VS. FA both in .44MAG

Banned

this was one of the first 480s they made. It was before they even chambered the 475. The picture in the advertisement for them at the time showed blue sights with colored inserts. They also called it a 6.5 inch gun and come to find out they measure from the end of the frame not the forcing cone like EVERY other manufacture. I called to complain, mostly about the sights and what they told me was that sights can change with there availability. They said at the time my gun was made all they had was stainless sights and basically tuff S###.
    Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    Don't have any idea how your BFG came to be, as I have a couple and they both have black sights. When the front iron sights for the BFG were offered by a member of the sixguns forum; I purchased the sights with a thickness of 0.100", had them blued and installed them - not that it improved anything, just made the BFG more appealing to me.

Both of my BFG's (454 & 500 JRH) are customs shop products and will shoot bug holes at distance. All that proves is my BFR's will shoot with my loads and me messaging the trigger from a bench (well, for the bug holes I needed to mount a 8X scope - Leupold 2.5X8X32). They are well made handguns and felt good in my hand but they feel heavier today than they did when purchased.

I serious doubt the FA's will outshoot the BFG's - I don't think the BFG is superior, but they won't take a back seat either. FA's have a well earned reputation for strength and accuracy and I see no reason to talk against that finely produced handgun - but one could mention they would like to see a faster twist in the FA or less weight in the BFG.

44Man - you outscored a MAN that was shooting a FA - you beat him, not his revolver. A good pisterlo can shoot all handguns well, it's just that he can shoot his handguns a little better. When you weren't victorious, did you beat the man or his revolver? You can phrase things just a tad different sometimes and that might help???

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Why don't you ask IHMSA.
    I am not there anymore is why. It is still a point when the company says no round under the hammer with ANY of the guns. Since most are 5 shots, they are 4 shooters. I did not know back then about the danger or I would have brought it up.
    I still out shot them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    this was one of the first 480s they made. It was before they even chambered the 475. The picture in the advertisement for them at the time showed blue sights with colored inserts. They also called it a 6.5 inch gun and come to find out they measure from the end of the frame not the forcing cone like EVERY other manufacture. I called to complain, mostly about the sights and what they told me was that sights can change with there availability. They said at the time my gun was made all they had was stainless sights and basically tuff S###.
    You basically got in on the ground floor then. I can see why you don't much care for BFG's and had I received that type of reply, I wouldn't much care for the outfit either!!

I haven't had any contact with BFR for a couple years but when I did their customer service was top notch and they bent over backwards to accommodate - that is, if you called the Pillager, Mn telephone number - I first called the Minneapolis, Mn number and they didn't seem to be up to speed. They were bought out a while back but I haven't found a need to communicate with them, so what I do know is dated and limited.

Banned

Yes MR measured to the front of the frame and I loved it. I hate short barrels. I don't think MR was bought out but they used badger barrels and they changed hands so MR went to Green Mountain, good barrels but might have a different twist. I mailed my friends at BFR and never got an answer. I fear BFR's now if twist is wrong. Freedom has wrong twist rates for many guns but just right for others. Why does the .454 have a 1 in 24" twist? should be 1 in 16". .45 colt 1 in 24", should be 1 in 16'. Freedom has 1 in 14" for the .357 and .41, perfect. Ever see a Freedom .44 win IHMSA? good twist at 1 in 20" but not many buy a .44 from them.
    Do you know how hard it is to to knock a 50# ram over at 200 meters with a .357?

Boolit Master

i dont believe MRI was bought out either, they did however move from fridley mn, to pillager.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=44man;
    Do you know how hard it is to to knock a 50# ram over at 200 meters with a .357?[/QUOTE]

You can shove 200+ gr. boolits from a F/A .357 at 1,400+fps. with no problems. Different animal than most .357's, probably why 3/4 of the 2015 and 2016 lists posted were 357's.

Boolit Master

Kahr Arms bought out Magnum Research - here an article from back when.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...gnum-research/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    Kahr Arms bought out Magnum Research - here an article from back when.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...gnum-research/
    OK that's correct. I think it was when they stopped offering different barrel lengths too. Have to go custom shop the get the barrel you want.
    Kahr is supposed to be a good outfit but I think they are a shave a penny type.
    Badger made the best barrels and they were hand lapped, maybe the price went up.
    I'm glad I got mine when I did but I still want the 30-30.

Banned

sorry pal but I once handled and shot a 10 inch 3030 bfr and thought it was hands down the ugliest revolver ive ever saw. With that long cylinder, small bore holes and long barrel it weighted a ton and was way to front heavy. I don't know how you would holster it? That big and needing a sling I just as soon grab a 94 or 336 and even with a 16 inch barrel and no cyl gap get ALOT more velocity with very little difference is ease of carry. I know you like long barrels but those 3030s and 4570s in a bfr are truly BUT FUGGLY REVOLVERS. I can stay with you when your talking your 475 bfrs but a guy has to draw the line when you about need wheels in the field
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    OK that's correct. I think it was when they stopped offering different barrel lengths too. Have to go custom shop the get the barrel you want.
    Kahr is supposed to be a good outfit but I think they are a shave a penny type.
    Badger made the best barrels and they were hand lapped, maybe the price went up.
    I'm glad I got mine when I did but I still want the 30-30.

Banned

Yeah, are monsters but my 45-70 will out shoot every rifle I ever shot to 500 meters. I wish I could have used it for BPCR. A 30-30 would be for fun anyway, tote it to my range in the Polaris! 4 wheels are about right!

Banned

I am opinionated and if MR screws up the BFR, they will feel my wrath too. It is the way I am. No excuse to cut corners to save a dime.