Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2PBcastcoReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder through expander

Boolit Bub

powder through expander

This is for a powder drop expander, don't know to edit the thread title.

I recently did some casting for my 40s&w and tried to get the powder through expander that came with the hornday bullet drop die to work. The expander did not flair the case enough to get the cast bullet to sit in case feed from the bullet drop die. Is there someone that makes custom powder through expanders for the powder drop? This is for a hornady lnl progressive press with hornady powder drop. Thanks.
    Last edited by original; 07-22-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Boolit Master

With the Lee die, it flares more as you set the die deeper in the press.
    Might yours work like that?
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Bub
    It seemed if I set it any deeper it would have damaged the case. The hornady powder through expander that came with the bullet drop had a short flair area then an abrupt ledge. I will edit the post to say powder drop expander.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The LEE powder-thru expander dies work PERFECTLY. Sometimes the "name" does not mean it works better.

I have at least 20 Lee dies and all the expander powder-thru dies are fully adjustable to any amount of flare you want/need. I use them all the time....for years.

Lee get trashed on here all the time.........but they make excellent products!

banger

Boolit Master
    There is a universal one that is available but I don't have the link.

I used the Lee that I have just a couple of hours ago on some 40 S&W. Works, that's all that matters.

Lee powder thru expanders have worked fine for me. NOE I think makes a few custom ones, but the Lee's are less than $12 from Titan (site sponsor) http://www.titanreloading.com/pistol...-expanding-die
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    I do have the lee expanding die but I am looking for something that goes inside of the case activated powder drop, maybe I am calling it the wrong thing.

Boolit Grand Master

No, you are calling it the correct thing. As usual people don't read or have poor comprehension skills. NOE makes a limited number of powder through expanders for Lee dies. Last time I looked there were very few stock. I don't know of anyone else that makes them.

Boolit Master
    Lee makes a powder through expander die for handgun calibers that expands the brass inside , and they make a die to charge rifle calibers that flares the mouth only not the whole depth of the neck . Witch one are you referring to ? Or did I miss it .

Boolit Bub
    I am looking to replace the hornady FTX powder through,the inside piece of a case operated powder drop. Does anyone know if the RCBS powderpistol expander would work in the hornady case operated powder drop?

Boolit Master

On my LnL AP's I use Lee auto-disk measures when loading pistol as these are superior to the Hornady powder measure IMHO.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    the Lee universal expanding die does just that but it does not drop powder through it it is not hollow!

I would order a Lee powder die for your specific caliber with the understanding that it only works with the Lee powder measures and all makers seem to think that everyone loads jacketed bullets which do not require as much case mouth flare as a cast boolit! You may have to contact NOE about your problem even if you buy the Lee die.

HM

Boolit Grand Master

I understand (I think) the OP's problem; some Lee powder through dies have a taper to flare the case mouth, but, it is often "short", and ends in an edge or a 90 degree angle slightly larger than the case OD. I had a 45 ACP powder through die that the case would bump up against the "ridge" before enough flare was formed in the case mouth (more depth/force would collapse cases). I don't have a lathe anymore so I didn't have a way to cut more taper in the die insert. Since I don't charge cases on my press I just bought an RCBS die to flare the case mouth enough to seat my "custom sized" lead bullets...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    People here love to bash the folks with the orange boxes, but I have had great results with Lyman's through the expander powder drop set. In fact, the only problem I've ever had with it was trying to expand virgin 327 Fed Max brass from Starline. It comes so squeaky clean that the inside of the case neck "grabs" the spud and makes it hard to pull back out. A little graphite powder in there takes care of the problem. If you can't get satisfaction with your Hornady set up, I would suggest you pick up the Lyman set... just my personal experience, YMMV, of course.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

The Lyman does not work w/ a case activated measure.

Banned

I'd just give hornady a call on Monday and discuss it with them.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by original View Post
    I do have the lee expanding die but I am looking for something that goes inside of the case activated powder drop, maybe I am calling it the wrong thing.
    original,
    I got this sneaking suspicion no one here fully understands your problem. I don't know how Hornady's lnl setup's work? But I can say, generally the case expander is part of the die, not part of the measure...but can be part of both if assembled together. Photo's may help us help you.
    OR
    take R5R's advice given below \/

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I'd just give hornady a call on Monday and discuss it with them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Great idea, didnt even think about calling hornady, will check with them on monday. thanks again for everyones input.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    People here love to bash the folks with the orange boxes, but I have had great results with Lyman's through the expander powder drop set. In fact, the only problem I've ever had with it was trying to expand virgin 327 Fed Max brass from Starline. It comes so squeaky clean that the inside of the case neck "grabs" the spud and makes it hard to pull back out. A little graphite powder in there takes care of the problem. If you can't get satisfaction with your Hornady set up, I would suggest you pick up the Lyman set... just my personal experience, YMMV, of course.

Froggie
    I learned about "tool snobs" about 30 years ago when I worked in a HD Construction Equipment Repair shop. They were adamant that only the tools they chose (whether it was because the tools were the most expensive, they liked the name [Snap-On], their favorite NASCAR pit crew used them, or the tool man had the "baddest tool truck", whatever) were worth owning, and everything else is junk. I see a lot of this on reloading forums; If a reloading tool manufacturer is mentioned that is not the choice of the "Snob", it is immediately trashed. Even if the Snob has never had one in his possession, never used one, nor seen one in use, he firmly denies any use for that tool (Lee Haters are especially bad in this area). Too bad, 'cause new reloaders see this ignorant tunnel vision, and some believe it....

Actually the only dies I've had any trouble with were RCBS, and I know not all RCBS tools are junk!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast