Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRS Scam Caution and HELP

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

IRS Scam Caution and HELP

IRS Scam Caution and HELP.

I have a widow friend who gave the scam artist a really hard time.
    So now they call her 2 or 3 times late night or early morning EVERY NIGHT
    She doesn't have call blocking.

I dont think I have ever seen that woman this mad in 16 years.

Any ideas out there?
    Last edited by DCP; 07-21-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When the scammer calls dial *57 to capture the metadata for the police, and then IMMEDIATELY after doing so call the police to report the malicious phone call.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

May have to get blocking. I'd call phone Co also. (not that it will help) oh, do they stay on the line? Get her an airhorn, blow out an ear.

Boolit Master
    Give us the # they're calling her from so we can spam them all times of the day. Let's give them what they're giving her.

About a month ago this scam was rampant. It was reported hundreds of times, but it keep up for several weeks, even causing the local paper to run a piece about it. They called me about three times and the wife the same number.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Had problems like that once.Walked out the back door with the phone,and dropped the hammer on a hot loaded .38 spcl.NEVER had another call from that outfit.Hehehe.At least get on the record with a phone call to the phone company,even if they don`t do anything.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Tell her to install a $20 answering machine and don't answer the phone. Problem solved.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Unplug the phone at night.

Boolit Master
    get the answering machine. also answer the phone " sheriffs dept. farad division officer run a muck how may I help you " that has stopped a lot of call backs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Give us the # they're calling her from so we can spam them all times of the day. Let's give them what they're giving her.
    Lol that was my thought....I've tried changing my number a few times and just end up with new spam calls or collection calls from the last person who had the number. It is a never ending cycle once you get on the "list"

Quote Originally Posted by bdicki View Post
    Unplug the phone at night.
    Or that is a good option

Answering machine and stop answering phone best bet.

in Remebrance
    Only reason we still have a land line is for internet access, but you still have a phone number. Sales calls and politicians have about dried up, they won't leave a message. The "IRS send us some money" racket only called twice, then quit. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

We just unplug our phone at night..anyone needs us they can call our cell phones.

Boolit Grand Master

Someone always finds a way to screw up a convenience.
    If the original call was produced by a roto caller there is no way to stop that. This is phone harassment and thus against current laws. Having an answerer will defeat the callers purpose and they'll give up. If you can get the source number, it should be reported if for no other reason than a record of it for the future.
    The phone co will help, but there is really little they can do unless charges are filed.
    Last edited by mold maker; 07-22-2016 at 10:37 AM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

DON"T answer the phone let the machine.

Some are so condition they are untrainable to do that

Start the call off with 'this call is being recorded yo prosecute offenders.'

Or call the phone company and use the option that has a pre recorded message stating that telemarketers wi be sued to the full extent of the law if they call you.

Or answer the phone " dominos pizza"

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Perm-Banned
    i either play the senile old man routine or pretend i speak very very poor english. they dont think its worth it when i go into my routine. its also fun when done right.

Boolit Master

Hey I am the senile Old Man,just ask my wife......I think that just puts you onto a different list.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    The answering machine has worked well for me. The nice thing about it, you are still in the phone book, and when people are sincerely trying to reach you, they can. I just check the machine a couple of times a day, and clear the numbers occasionally. I probably should put caller ID back in service, but no real need as most times they just give up. The ringer volume is turned down, so by the time you hear the recorder, it is not worth picking up the phone. Makes life so much simpler.

Boolit Master

I only give out my Google Voice number and forward all calls to it to my cell phone, landline, or whatever. If I start getting spam calls from a number, it's easy enough to block that number on their website.

Anything that comes in directly to my landline is most likely a spam call.

Back around 1990, I had a phone number that was a repeating series of just 2 digits and I started getting harassing phone calls. Mostly from kids who were stupid enough to leave their own phone numbers on the answering machine. So, I would call the number back and play their messages back to their parents. Often I would get a return call from a whimpering kid apologizing for his actions after his parents had taken "corrective action".

Eventually, I just changed the message on my answering machine to be the squealing tone and message that the phone company plays when you dial a number that is not in service.

I eventually moved and did not keep the phone number. Some business eventually acquired it since I see it on their trucks / vans driving around town periodically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast