Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 45-70 Loads with HB boolits

Boolit Master

45-70 Loads with HB boolits

Might be a silly question, but when it comes to loading hollow base boolits with black powder, do I need to put anything between the powder and boolit? Does the powder just crunch up into the base?

I have a few hollow base moulds for my 45-70s that work beautifully with smokeless but want to try loading with BP.

My experience so far with black powder cartridges is limited to pistol rounds. For pistol loads I simply use soft lead plain base boolits, lubed with an appropriate BP lube, and seated with mild compression right on top of the powder. No card, no wad, no problem, accuracy is as good or better than smokeless (at least for the first 12-18rds.) Just curious if loading for a rifle with hollow base boolits can be as simple as pistol.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 07-21-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master

No. After charging the case with powder, seat the bullet. Works just like a Minnie ball in a ML.

Boolit Master
    The bp should be somewhat compressed and should not move up into the HB, when my BP is in the case it is like a solid.

Boolit Buddy

I use a drop tube and compression die for loading BP rifle, I do not use a wad with HB bullets. The Lee HB shoots well in my trapdoors and 86's.

Banned

friends have had decent to good accuracy with the lee 405hb bullet, no wads needed or wanted, seat with slight compression, in their trap door repros. imho, for sharps, rollers, and other s/s guns, there are far and away better bullets to use than any hollow based bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    friends have had decent to good accuracy with the lee 405hb bullet, no wads needed or wanted, seat with slight compression, in their trap door repros. imho, for sharps, rollers, and other s/s guns, there are far and away better bullets to use than any hollow based bullet.
    The Lee 405 HB works especially well in trapdoors that have oversize groove dimensions. Out of the mould they will mic around .461.

Boolit Grand Master

Timely thread, thanks! Taking my original 1873 TD out for the first time tomorrow and I suspect a HB boolit may be in my future. Hoping the Lyman 457193 in 20-1 will fill the bore but ever since I used the HBWC in PPC I've been fascinated by HB boolits.
    Which boolit are you planning on using, OP?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.