RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 846 pulled powder /bought 15 years ago?

Boolit Buddy

846 pulled powder /bought 15 years ago?

I got an 8 pound jug of this at lest 15 years ago and it has set on a shelf!
    Would it be good yet ? It has been inside and jug is half full.
    If it is usable ,i don't have the recommended load sheet for this lot!!!! Can i get one from some place?

Boolit Master
    Powder should still be good, I've got some left from an 8# jug of that same vintage that I believe I bought at the Harrisburg, PA gun show. BLC-2 data should be close..........
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Moderator Emeritus

Start with H335 data. Blc-2 is slower than a lot of wcc846 and using blc-2 data could be a problem.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master

My jug (Lot # A127(RAL85053)) marked up when it was new on the market says BLC-2 minus 2 grains.
    Wiljen's method should keep one out of trouble loading with it.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    We have a couple pounds of WC846 that Dad pulled down himself from mid-60s 7.62 ball.

I recently compared it head to head with some older BLC-2 in a 222 Remington. From my chronograph data, the WC846 was about 1 grain faster. This placed it midway between H335 and BLC-2 in my application and powder lots. I will have no trouble using it in my 222.

Wiljen's advice is sound. Chronographing would be handy.

BTW, what caliber would you use that surplus powder with?

Moderator Emeritus

With any powder, yours or any other, when you uncap it, you should get a good smell of whatever solvent was used in its manufacture. If the solvent smell isn't pretty strong, or if there's redish brown stuff in it that looks like fine sawdust, it should be good to go. 15 years isn't all that long for a powder to stay stable, really, since much has been shot that's much older than that with complete satisfaction.

How the powder is stored is what CAN make powder go bad. Subject it to extremes of temperature much or for very long, or leave it where water can get to it, or where condensation can form inside the can, and it'll go bad much sooner than 15 years. So it's really a matter of how it's stored, when it comes to how long it will last. Keep the conditions it's stored in stable and reasonable, and it'll stay stable itself. That's really all there is to it.

I have 16lbs of WC-846, never used a speck of it. Supposed to be good for .308, but I don't shoot .308 or 7.62x51.

Supposed to be good for .223, but I still have Varget left, already have more .223 loaded up than I'd want to move, and have no more bullets anyway.

Supposed to be OK for .30-30, but haven't tried it.

Basically, I have 16lbs of powder I don't know WTH to do with..... but it's still good!

Boolit Buddy
    I bought it ,back then,to use in 308 and 30-06 with 150 or 165 grain jacketed bullets.
    I have since moved and lost the load sheet that was sent with it. I bought it from Jeff Bartlett back when it was easy to get?????

Moderator Emeritus

Use h335 starting loads and work up to Blc-2 max loads watching for signs of pressure and velocity. If it is like most lots of wcc846 it will max out about 5% short of the Blc-2 maximum.

I burned through probably 100 lbs of it in 308 and 30-06 and found it to work in 5.56, 222, 303 brit, 30-40 krag, 375 Winchester, and 45-70. It is in a great place, burn rate wise, as it works in nearly all bottlenecks except the big magnums and also works in the larger straight wall cases.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    Rondog, that powder sound like it might be dangerous! Better send it to me as soon as possible and I will dispose of it before someone gets hurt! I'm loading and shooting powder that is way past the 20 year mark and it shoots like new stuff. If it was stored correctly and doesn't have any weird smells it is most likely good. Rod

Boolit Master

There's not doubt when powder goes bad! I recently opened an 8lb keg of pulldown Russian 4895 I bought from Bartlett about 20 years ago, and when I took a whiff of it, I had to jerk my head back due to the strong, chlorine-like small of it. Now it's outside, waiting to fertilize the grass.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Master

If you have a Lot number on the side of the jug still, you can probably find some load data real fast on the internet or through this forum.

My lot of 846 was recommended to use H335 data minus 10%. I'm at the office or I'd provide you my powder's lot number although I think your lot is older than the lot I purchased.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wiljen View Post
    Start with H335 data. Blc-2 is slower than a lot of wcc846 and using blc-2 data could be a problem.
    WC846 is close to BL-C(2) WC 844 is close to H335
    I have used both, finished up the WC846 this spring. Surplus powders used to be a deal. a super deal. Not so much any more.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin