Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ruger no.1 build underway, 1000 yrd rifle.

Vendor Sponsor

Your reading the silhouette rules. Different game.

They are not the rules for NRA BPCR target rifle - Creedmoor ( 800- 900- 1000yd matches. ) I know of what I write.

Matches known as NRA - "Black Powder Target Rifle"
    Creedmoor -800-900-1000yr - any position
    Mid-range - any position
    Mid-range - three position

Shot on paper
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 06-26-2017 at 12:39 AM.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

okay, I'm done. Next persons turn.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    It would be interesting to see how well a really big .50 would do in BPTR competition. Most likely your rifle will be legal for NRA BPTR. It would have to be shot in the Tollofson class due to the weight.

Getting a BC of 1.0 will be a tall order, if for no reason other than getting mold blocks long enough. If it were me I'd simply scale up one of the BACO .45 cal minigroove Money bullets with reduced driving bands. You would only have a little of the bullet seated in the case, lots of exposed lube grooves for extra powder capacity.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy

1.0 is the goal but I will settle for a little less but if you're designing something from scratch , why not shoot for the stars?

I have a few designs in the works. Molds being made now actually. Two will be traditional greased versions and two will be paper patched. That will give me a real world head to head estimation of what it will do. I am looking for the maximum amount of accuracy I can get from lead and a single shot action. I have shot 50's for over half of my life in lots of forms. Not surprising I went directly to 50 caliber when looking to build a new test bed rifle.

Because I am using a BMG barrel (1-15 twist) the door is open for all other BMG boolits of which I have a LOT. Using the cast lead is simply to conform to the rules of the matches I plan to shoot. In matches that don't have that restriction I will be using Barnes, Papua or Hornady bullets. My lapua boolits are extremely slippery at 1.2 BC but they are also Not lead cast. I find my self back In a holding pattern of sorts again to wait on bullet molds before cutting the chamber in the rifle so that I can make up a dummy round for measurements pre-cutting.

Boolit Master
    OK so I had to look it up.
    NRA Black Powder Cartridge rules

3.1 Rifle
    - Any safe, original or modern production or custom variety, breech loading rifle designed as a single shot. Bolt action rifles are specifically not allowed. Original or modern muzzle loading rifles, with or without a sealed ignition are also allowed. Safe triggers are required. Electronic triggers and adjustable butt plates are prohibited.
    (a) Breechloading rifl es must be chambered for authentic, original black powder cartridges and calibers, taking into account normal variations in types of brass and primers as well as bore sizes, rifl ing styles and twist and chamber dimensions.
    (b) The rifl e, including all attachments such as, but not limited to slings and sights, shall not weigh more than 15 pounds unloaded.
    (c) Wiping the bore between shots is permitted.
    (d) Use of an offset blow tube is permitted between shots from the breech or muzzle.
    (e) Add-on cheek pieces are permitted.

Note, these may not be current as it was a quick net search.
    http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/p...dr/bp-book.pdf
    Last edited by charlie b; 07-02-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Anything new? This build makes me wish I had kept that .50BMG barrel I had sitting around.

Would still not mind finding a Ruger action to do a build.

Boolit Buddy

Not just yet, I am waiting on bullet molds to come in. Should be another week or so and I will have at least two to start working up loads on. Both have tons of potential but like everything, you never know till it's done.

Sure would like to see a couple of pics of your rifle
    I have been following this thread since you started it and would like to see what a 1000 yard rifle looks like. Sounds cool !
    Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    would like to see what a 1000 yard rifle looks like. Sounds cool !
    Jedman
    A 1,000 yd. rifle can take on various looks. But most are large capacity cases, with heavy bullets, and very long barrels. Original Creedmoor rifles for 800-1000 yd. match shooting all had 34" max. length barrels. Also had flat hard rubber or steel buttplates to handle the heavy recoil.
    This is a #7 Ballard Long Range Creedmoor rifle. Under the 10 lb. weight limit, and 34" half octagon barrel. A full octagon would not be under the 10 lb. limit.

And the .44-100 Ballard cartridge, with 535 grain bullet. The case is 3.25" long:

Boolit Buddy

That is a very nice piece of Iron good sir. Very nice indeed. My rifle build will be lucky to be under 25 pounds....HA! Is that a sight extension on the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Tnfalconer View Post
    That is a very nice piece of Iron good sir. Very nice indeed. My rifle build will be lucky to be under 25 pounds....HA! Is that a sight extension on the rear?
    Thanks!
    Not a sight extension, but a Ballard long range vernier sight. The aperture is not threaded on in the picture, but it's a large 1" diameter. The gun was missing it's globe sight when I bought it in the picture, but I've found and replaced it since then.
    I believe some types of long range matches still have various weight limits. But I think the Quigley doesn't have any weight limit.

Boolit Buddy

Yup, the matches that I am planning to shoot don't have any weight limits. The barrel on my rifle weighs 13 pounds by itself. 31" barrel 1.250 at the breech and 1.00 at the muzzle. Straight taper after 3.5". It's a beast but for a .510 bullet it isn't all that heavy.

I know where there is an old Ballard 45-100 hanging on a wall in a bar here in Montana. I have tried to buy it a few times and no dice. I recently heard the bar closed down and the owner is selling. I think one more try might be in order.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I have enjoyed reading this caliber 50 project. Should be an interesting first day at the range when it is all complete.
    We have a 50 Alaskan on an 86 japchester with a 26" octagon barrel. I can write that a 525 grain at 1800 fps will make you understand that you just touched off a smasher. But with a proper leather butt cover it is no worse than 12 gauge with slugs.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I know where there is an old Ballard 45-100 hanging on a wall in a bar here in Montana. I have tried to buy it a few times and no dice. I recently heard the bar closed down and the owner is selling. I think one more try might be in order.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Go see!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Any update on this project?
    If you decide to go with 50 Alaskan I can hook you up with dies and brass.

Any update of this project? Pictures and range results as to targets and the "shooter".....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234