Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger no.1 build underway, 1000 yrd rifle.

Boolit Buddy

Ruger no.1 build underway, 1000 yrd rifle.

This is a rifle that has been in the safe for a while with no use so it gets to be the sacrificial lamb for my new custom built. I need a new rifle to shoot Quigley and the other assorted 1000 yrd buffalo matches. This one will be a little unique I think. Today I stripped the rifle down and pulled the barrel. It is a factory 300 H&H. Selling off all the original parts.

Phase two starts with a new chromoly 15 twist barrel in the lathe. This is a barrel that I have had for quite some time. I'll basically straight taper it to 30". Then cut and thread for the action and move on to the stocks for now. Since the actual case I will be using is still a little up in the air, I'll jump past that for now.

The stocks will be well figured piece of Bastogne walnut profiled with a larger cheek rest from a guy in SD. The fore arm will be a little more custom. Think varmint just a little longer. Pics up when I have something to show

Hello, I presume the new barrel is also 30 caliber? If so, isn't 1:15" rifling a little slow?

Boolit Buddy

The new barrel is 50 caliber.

Boolit Master
    The Ruger No 1 action can be made remarkably accurate. It is strong and stiff. The stocks sound lovely. Getting the forend not to impede accuracy can be a little tricky but it sounds like you know what you're doing ;D Looking forward to pics and the cartridge decision.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    The Ruger No 1 action can be made remarkably accurate. It is strong and stiff. The stocks sound lovely. Getting the forend not to impede accuracy can be a little tricky but it sounds like you know what you're doing ;D Looking forward to pics and the cartridge decision.
    Me too! I was just speaking on the phone with another member here and he said the same thing. "man I wanna see that thing when it's done." Me too, I told him. Right now it's all just ideas floating around in my head with a bunch of parts laying the shop in various places. I'm a gunsmith with lots of experience but honestly, I don't know that I have ever built a rifle like this one. IN the aspect of going this far with asthetics and intended purpose. IN the past I have built mostly 1911's and tactical rifles. That is my bread and butter. Fine wood and single shot actions are not in my general wheel house but this rifle is my opportunity to put all the little quirky cool ideas I have had in the past into one rifle. We'll see how it turns out! I will keep this updated with pics, so I can hear what I am doing wrong....LOL.

Boolit Buddy

Should have a proof for the engraving on the side of the action today. I will post pictures of the proof when I get it. A decision was made with the stocks as well today. They will be a high cheek piece Scheutzen/stevens style on the stock and forearms with some slight modifications for the Ruger no.1. I am really looking forward to the completion of the stocks. All parts are accounted for, now I just need to decide on a cartridge. I am torn between using the .50 Alaskan and the 50-90 sharps. With the sharps being designed for black powder I am not sure how much pressure it will take with modern powder. The 50 Alaskan is much stronger structurally and designed for modern powder but isn't traditional at all...

Boolit Master
    Not sure what speed you require, but I got 560 grain boolits to 1,800+ fps. in a 24" barreled 50-90 at Trapdoor level pressures. I don't have a lot of brass, which was used when I bought it. It has lasted many loadings with no failures.

Boolit Buddy

I really want to use the 50-90, for no other reason than nostalgia to be honest. I think it will do what I need it to do as far as powder capacity to get the larger bullets up to speed, I may just have to stick them out there a little farther. With the .50 Alaskan I am scared of running out of case capacity. I will be shooting the larger 750-900grn 50 BMG bullets.

NOE makes a nice .50 boolit mold if you really want to get into it. I bought the gas check version, and it weighs north of 950 grains. It probably would do the job on any critter bigger than a hamster.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Tnfalconer, No worries about the strength of modern Starline 50-90 brass with smokeless powder. Your Ruger no. 1 is a great platform for such a rifle.
    Recoil will be your limiting factor.

Good Luck with your project ! Jedman

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    Tnfalconer, No worries about the strength of modern Starline 50-90 brass with smokeless powder. Your Ruger no. 1 is a great platform for such a rifle.
    Recoil will be your limiting factor.

Good Luck with your project ! Jedman

That's sort of the plan. (HAHAHAHAHHAAAA) Load it until I can't stand to shoot it anymore and back off. See where that puts me. I am tried and true 50 caliber guy so I can take a good amount more recoil than the average joe but shot after shot wears the old shoulder down quickly.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by bbqncigars View Post
    NOE makes a nice .50 boolit mold if you really want to get into it. I bought the gas check version, and it weighs north of 950 grains. It probably would do the job on any critter bigger than a hamster.
    I have been talking with Nelson this last week about that very mold and some modifications I want to make. We are working on something pretty cool I think. I will be trying the 750grn version of the same bullet as well, just to have some comparisons to make in accuracy at range.

Boolit Grand Master

If you think your shoulder will put up with more than the 50-90 has to offer you could always give the 50 Alaskan a hyphenated name, lol. Wouldn't be surprised if someone already has. Looking forward to progress reports and pics.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I have 3 rifles in 50-70 and shoot smokeless powder only. I like lighter recoiling loads, they shoot great and I have taken several deer with a 50-70.
    I can't amagine trying to shoot it at 1000 yards :takinWiz:

Jedman

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    If you think your shoulder will put up with more than the 50-90 has to offer you could always give the 50 Alaskan a hyphenated name, lol. Wouldn't be surprised if someone already has. Looking forward to progress reports and pics.
    I have been going back and forth between the 50 Alaskan and the 50-90. In the end the 50-90 is winning for pure nostalgia. Another one I looked at was 500 S&W believe it or not. It is a very sturdy case and would take lots of pressure. 50-90 has the case capacity I will need, modern brass will take the pressures and it will still have that little bit of nostalgia. So it won.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    I have 3 rifles in 50-70 and shoot smokeless powder only. I like lighter recoiling loads, they shoot great and I have taken several deer with a 50-70.
    I can't amagine trying to shoot it at 1000 yards :takinWiz:

Jedman
    It's an every weekend affair here. My local club has a 1,000 yrd match 4 times a month. The predominance of rifles shot are 45-70 and 45-90 so the 50-70 will get there just fine. You should try it!

Boolit Master
    .50-90 for sure it will take it my sarline .50-70 just keeps going bp or smokless its good stuff for sure and I never wore out any of my .50-140 brass eaither it was from a co. named Red Willow I think been a long time.

I have a Ruger No.1 in 50-110 with a 28" heavy-ish barrel.
    Modern cases have no problem with high pressure and, as stated above, your recoil tolerance is the only limiting factor.
    Mine is on the weighty side but I still prefer not to punish myself trying to hotrod it.

Last edited by Huvius; 07-25-2016 at 12:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Huvius View Post
    I have a Ruger No.1 in 50-110 with a 28" heavy-ish barrel.
    Modern cases have no problem with high pressure and, as stated above, your recoil tolerance is the only limiting factor.
    Mine is on the weighty side but I still prefer not to punish myself trying to hotrod it.

Are you shooting black powder or smokeless? Handloads? Velocities? I'm putting together as much info as I can on them and since 50-90 and 50-110 are so close, It would be beneficial to know how you are loading that one.

Boolit Buddy

Just got an email, stocks should be done this week! Three weeks earlier than promised. Now we're cooking.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast