Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Tuesday at the range 10 - 25 - 05

Super Moderator

Tuesday at the range 10 - 25 - 05

............Last week it was cool and had rained overnight and when I got to the range there was just one other guy there. Ray the rangemaster said he was going to shut it down as it was supposed to rain some more. I think he just wanted to close. El Pistolero showed up just after I'd left. Deputy Al was getting ready for his hunting trip to Communistic Canuckistan so was a no show, and the others come to find out called the range.

Since we were going to shoot pistols last week, we just carried it over to this week. There was the 4 of us shooting. I won! It wasn't my idea to shoot peestols, but it seems a couple of'em have a hard time about me shooting the mighty K-38. I guess I'm supposed to shoot somehting I know is a less capable pistol?

While I know it's not anything to brag about so far as an accomplished handgun shooter could probably do, it was a pretty fair job for me. An 88-1X and with that 6 and 7 too! The load was Lee 148gr TL-WC's over 3.0grs of W231. I always wonder, if a person can put 5 into the 10 ring, why is it so blessed hard to put the OTHER 5 in there too!

I don't recall what El Pistolero was shooting but Larry was shooting an 1875 Remington in 45 Colt, and Glen was shooting a 1911 45 ACP. I really don't know how Glen expects to win when he shoots ammo other people have given him? Nor do I believe it to be too smart either. He fired one round I happened to catch out of the corner of my eye that really bounced the pistol.

A bit later he mentioned it and I said, "I saw that". He showed me the case. It had a nickle plated primer and it looked brand new except in the middle where there was a brass dot. The primer was flat. It had obviously set back into the firing pin hole and had the nickle plating (and maybe some of the brass?) sheared off.

I had welded up myself a set of 5 swingers hanging on a horizontal bar and at home the 3" squares looked kinda big. Out there at 25 yards they didn't look so huge anymore . They worked real well though except the top bar was a piece of re-bar. As they'd swing around at a hit, the ridges in the re-bar had a tendancy to wind them to the right. After a bit of shooting they'd all be in a clump at the right end!

I guess I'll have to get some 1/2" washers and weld'em on the bar to keep that from happening.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Buckshot....what kind of range do you shoot at if it closes for rain??? "If it ain't rainning, you ain't training". The rangemaster must wear lacy drawers.... Only time I call a halt is when the roads are iced over and I can't get the 2Wdr Toyota back through that 1.5 lane Kentucky road.

Good point on the ammo. I don't shoot anybody else's ammo...well, maybe #2 sons but I trained him. I don't load for other folks either. They can blow up their own guns.

Bad practice to shoot unknow ammo. It's better to pull it and salvage the lead, cases and maybe the primers.

They're just jealous on the K-38./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I wouldn't EVER be ashamed of a K-38. I have smoked out a bunch of steely eyed youngsters with them "modern" hk-glock-sig thingies using a hb model 10 having no frills other than a set of them pachmayr grips. 'Course, I got a 1911 para, a ruger mark 2, a belgian hi power, a gp-100, an sp-101. and a 5.5 inch SB among others.......anyway, spray and pray really sucks unless there are NO innocent bystanders--come to think of it, it sucks even then. HITS COUNT! Misses are just noise.......just my humble opinion.....
    Lead.