Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: The new rifles first match today ( 38-55 C Sharps High wall0

Boolit Grand Master

The new rifles first match today ( 38-55 C Sharps High wall0

Northwest Ohio was a real Scorcher today but I am really pleased with the first match results with the new 38-55 C Sharps High wall. This rifle has a 1-12 Mc Gowen barrel 30" long and wears a 28" MVA Malcomb Scope currently. Im hot and tired, a pretty pink color Im hoping turns to tan tonight. But heres todays results. Load was a old west Nasa bullet 365 grn cast from 20-1 and pan lubed with SPG. Starline cases 2.080 cases squared deburred and chamfered primer pockets uniformed and flash holes deburred. 46 grns Olde Ensford 2 f powder. .060 Napa ruber fiber wad and 2 tracing paper wads. Compressed to depth. Bullet hand seated and tensioned using the sizing die set high. This load gives 1250 fps, no sighns of pressure and shoots good. The rifle is lighter than most at around 10 lbs but balances really nice. I hit 2 100yd chickens offhand but the other 8 shots were "on call" and whent hey go were you call them its obvious where the problem is. The 200 yd chickens I shot sitting from sticks and didnt miss a one for a score of 10. First stage Ive cleaned and the grey Splatter mark was about 2 fist dia right in the middle. On the 300 yd pigs I hit 8 and was pleased there to. 400 yd turkeys I dropped the ball on big time. I got a nice hit and went for record. Got another hit for score and couldnt touch one after that. I thought the High temps low humidity had hit me and fouled out. 500 yds rams I started with the same issues from the turkeys ( I had cleaned the rifle between them ) And realized I wasnt seeing the full field of view in the scope and a fuzzy ring around edge. I adjusted stool and position got the correct sight picture and Hit 8 rams. I suspect this was the problem with the turkeys also looking back. DAd had a great day watching and helping. Met some new people and also some old friends. It was agreat day I have rough zeros for the rifle now ( which is what I wanted to accomplish today. So beside 3rd I won. CG

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a fun day. I've wasted some perfectly good record hits on the turkey spotters too.

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a very nice day, it's HOT over here too!

Banned

overall a good day for ya, CG!

Boolit Grand Master

It was a very good day the evening was a let down. About 10:30 last night I got a call from a friend and local club member that a mutual friend and mentor "Left the range" He was around 85 years old.

Sorry to hear the loss of a friend. It's always a rough time for the loss.

It always make one feel good when you take out a new rifle for the first time with out a chance to work up a load and shoot a match with it and it shoots well.

I just took out my new CPA to the Quigley and the Montana 1000 and it made me feel good the way it shot.

Kurt